N9JIG Shack still again

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I can't leave well enough alone. Pretty much the same stuff rearranged again (and again...):

3.jpg

Here is an overview of the whole shebang. The radio desk is to the left and the computer desk to the right.

1.jpg

This is the CARMA Profile Creation Desk. On the right are the 2 screens for the Mac G5 Dual 2.7 below the desk. The small laptop is a Fujitsu LifeBook used in the car for radio programming and to access my databases and info. The 2 larger laptops to the upper left are my Dell used to program various radios and occasionally run various ARC products. The 17 inch Powerbook is used when traveling or if I want to work downstairs.

2.jpg

Here is a close up of the Radio Desk. On the top shelf from left to right are:

BC796 and BC780 (Trunker voice and data radios). Above the 780 is the radio part of the 796, the control head is below the 780. This uses the ScannerMaster remote kit and had been in my van before I rearranged that.

Twin Moto CDM1250's (1 VHF and 1 UHF) used for my work channels and various ham and GMRS stuff.

RS Pro2096 (used mostly for Pro96Com) and BCD996T (used as a voice radio with Pro96Com as well as for local StarCom21 traffic)

On the far right center shelf is an MDC decoder, auxiliary power supply for the Alert Radios, a pair of BC15's (used for Fire Tone Out receivers for local fire stuff) and 2 VHF GM300's for local monitoring of rail, police and fire channels. An Alinco dual band rig is used for local 2M and 440 work.

On the desk riser from left to right is the monitor for my Windows PC, used for ScannerRecorder, Pro96Com, and control of various radios, currently the R8500. Next is the monitor for my Trunker computer, an old Pentium 1 with Win98/Dos. Handhelds include a BC330, THF6A, Pro43, a couple little Alinco's, an old RS freq counter. The CD-1 at the far right is connected to the R8500 below it.

On the desktop itself is my key and tuner for the IC735, a pair of BC780's with CD-1 PL decoders and the R8500.

All the radios except the 2 BC15's and 2 GM300's are powered from an Astron 50 amp supply out of sight to the right of the Radio Desk. This allows me to turn them off with the flick of a switch, but in practice they usually are left on all the time.

I have a rash of antennas in the attic, including a couple discones, some UHF and VHF 1/4 waves and various models of ham and scanner antennas. I also have a 10M dipole, 20M dipole and a Slinky dipole in the attic as well.

In the car (not pictured) I have a BC996, BC796, Kenwood TMD700 dual bander, a pair of CDM1250's and a CD-1. Mobile handhelds are a BCD396T and Pro96.

5.jpg

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Wow I love it. If I ever get my basement half-finished I want to create an area similar to yours. How many scanners can you listen to at once? I can run 4 simultaneously and have my brain still pick up the transmissions and understand them.

R

Rayjk110

Nice C&NW SD-9. I used to be a dealer/distributor assistant with Proto-2000 in HO trains. C&NW SD's were rare. They're my favorite road.

BTW Nice radios lol .

N9JIG

Sheriff
KC2GVX said:
Wow I love it. If I ever get my basement half-finished I want to create an area similar to yours. How many scanners can you listen to at once? I can run 4 simultaneously and have my brain still pick up the transmissions and understand them.

Each radio has a specific purpose. The BC796/780 combo is used for Trunker, and often I just leave it on a system with the volume down on the voice radio to collect data. One of the other 780's is used mostly to listen to fire channels and often set up to record them for later analysis for fire tone out decoding. The other 780 scans a few local channels.

The BC15's are almost solely used as alert receivers and the GM300's are usually on the local fire channel and the local rail channel. The R8500 often is sitting on a single channel with the occasional dial spinning.

I control what I want to monitor with volume control. Having been a dispatcher I am used to listening to multiple radios at the same time. I was on the mobile side of the mic though for the last 25 years, and now I fly a desk, so it is a little harder to separate multiple audio streams these days.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Hey, Uncle Richie! Squirm your way back up in the attic, and snap some shots of the great antenna arrays! Absolutely amazing how well organized your listening post always is.

commscanaus

Well done!! Very well done!

A magnificent example of neatness- A place for everything and everything in it's place!

Definetly some great ideas for when I move into a new shack.
I really like the wall mounted shelving and your computer collection.

Certainly one of my favourite setup's posted here so far!

Commscanaus

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Rich , can you put me in your will ? LOL of course I'm kidding.......DREAM SHACK come true there......5 Stars all the way. :)

tnf

wow, superclean set up, and i would do anything for about a fraction of what is in that picture...but is it not a little overkill with information overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.