• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola GTX above 866 (DONE!) and Trunking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbmw99

Hello! I have recently aquired a Motorola GTX Mobile radio. These radios normally have a high bandsplit of 866Mhz. I have sucessfully bypassed this, allowing me to setup conventional channels above 866 just fine. They work fine both on receive and transmit. Here's is the problem: When I enter a trunked system above 866 and set the radio to listen to a talkgroup, theis weird thing happens... Basically, the radio is quiet the whole time, but when the talkgroup becomes active, the GTX's speaker opens up as if trying to tune into the repeater, but there is only static, so it goes quiet again, and it continuously does this. The timing is as follows... The radio is quiet for however long, then when the TG goes active, the radio instantly opens the squelch, waits .5 seconds, then closes the squelch, waits another 1.5 seconds, and repeats (open squelch)....This all stops when the TG stops being active.

I asked a friend, and he told me the cause of this may be the controller inside the radio. He was reminding me that when the Trunking controller sends out for a channel, it sends out a channel number, but not the actual frequency. He suggested that MAYBE this radio's mapping is different as far as those number go?

If anyone knows anything about making this GTX Mobile to trunking above 866, please write below! I REEEEALLLLYYY appriciate it. I dont really want to go out and buy a Spectra since I already have this GTX here and it's a nicer radio (as far as cosmetics and mounting in the truck. LOL )....

Alarm

GTX Trunking Help

Hey,
I was searching for info on programming a gtx to listen to a moto type II smartZone system when I found your post. Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of how to get this thing going.

I have the rss, syskey, and all info except connect tone. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

W8RW

the GTX's speaker opens up as if trying to tune into the repeater, but there is only static, ....

Check the frequencies for the system you are monitoring. The GTX is not able to tune frequencies that are even 12.5 kHz steps, or those ending in .025, .050, .075, only odd ones ending in .0125, .0375, .0625, .0875. You will hear the static if the radio is told to go to one of the freqs it is unable to tune.

grem467

Hey,
I was searching for info on programming a gtx to listen to a moto type II smartZone system when I found your post. Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of how to get this thing going.

I have the rss, syskey, and all info except connect tone. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

if you have the legit RSS, system key and the other info, whoever normally programs the radios on the system should be able to help you.

If your RSS and system key along with your trunked ID are less than legit, then you may be well on your way to a useless inhibited radio, and possibly opening yourself up to some less than fun legal action depending on how much of a sense of humor the system manager has.

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If it was a legit RSS and system key he would know the connect tone too. Some poeple never learn

slicerwizard

Pick a site and program in its control channels.

I have the rss, syskey, and all info except connect tone.
So you're good to go. I see the self appointed radio cops didn't bother to mention that the connect tone isn't required if you're just listening.

Alarm

Byte diss

Thanks for the help Slicer.

Gotta love those radio police. Guess they have noting better to do then comment on things they only have half the story on. By the way this is a private business trs that I am setting up and I am trying to get the high band splits to work on an on a gtx before I invest in buying 50 of them, and as far as the connect tone, I meant I didn't have it available at the time of writing, and most of all------ I AM THE SYS ADMIN. -----
Go chew on that!!!!

cg

Premium Subscriber
One thing that you will run into in the near future is that the 866-869 band will be all Nextel. (I am assuming that you are in the US) You may get 6 months, you may get a couple years.
The keying activity sounds like the radio is going to an incorrect channel, seeing no activity, and returning to the data channel. It then starts all over again.

chris

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Reminds me of my OLD STX 800. It didn't do the newer splits. So when the contoller (cc) "told" it to go to a specific LCN, it would "try", and go to open squelch. But the STX 810 did it ok. ;-) It also sounds like an LCN/freq. split issue to me.

Rich

grem467

Thanks for the help Slicer.

Gotta love those radio police. Guess they have noting better to do then comment on things they only have half the story on. By the way this is a private business trs that I am setting up and I am trying to get the high band splits to work on an on a gtx before I invest in buying 50 of them, and as far as the connect tone, I meant I didn't have it available at the time of writing, and most of all------ I AM THE SYS ADMIN. -----
Go chew on that!!!!

A system admin who cant remember such a basic detail of his system like the CONNECT TONE??

seriously?

wow.. ok.. learn something new every day!

EDIT: to be helpful there is a reason GTX/LCS radios on 800 are being replaced during rebanding, the trunking tables cannot be updated, so as pointed out while you may get some time out of them, at some point you will have to reband and they will be useless... im not sure if the nextel deal of replacing or programming radios free of charge to the TRS system owner only applies to public safety, so i am not sure if you will be able to swap radios out or if you will have 50 useless radios that you have to go out and replace on your dime.

forgive the sarcasm but you have to realize how that sounds... and what if someone came along with your question, in your area, asking how to program a radio on YOUR system? I personally have inhibited several radios, as well have had several radios come into the shop that have had information programmed into them from this site (incorrect info that matches the DB).

different boat perhaps?

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Those of you replying to this thread look very closely at the dates on the 1st post (original poster) and the 2nd poster...you might wanna forget any questions the original poster had as his post was made 4 plus years ago...but if yall wanna wait another 4 years for him to possibly reply go ahead :D

Alarm:
This is the problem with posters searching in old threads then bumping them...alot of times the original poster is long gone or no longer cares about the original question....if the original thread is more than a couple months old might as well make a new thread to get some fresh perspective...
Not trying to give you a tough time just trying to help.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.