Sevier County LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjones

I saw that Sevier County Sheriffs Dept was granted a license for a UHF TRS on 1-26-07. Does anyone know if it is active yet? I assume it will be a LTR system.

WQGI409

Thanks

Rod
Atlanta

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I just posted the system to the Global Admins for addition to the DB.. I will begin working on it as soon as its set up for me to roll... I am not sure if they will run LTR normal, LTR Passport.. or if this will be an Motorola UHF. It might even become part of the Homeland Security Net. Anyone in the area post any info please. TY!:cool:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Interesting. Sevier County still has its license for an 800Mhz trunked system (WQAS788). I had heard they didn't have the money to build out that system.

I looked up the UHF trunked system (WQGI409), and the purpose is "TO COORDINATE DAILY COUNTY GOVERNMENT ACTIVITIES AND FOR EMERGENCY INTEROPERABILITY COMMUNICATIONS". Just speculating: either this is a local government/public works system reusing the SO's UHF frequencies or the SO got tired of waiting for the countywide system and set up its own system.

Warren

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Most likely your right. From what little I get.. its deffinitely going to be LTR.. Still tryinhg to get mouths to talk and say if regular or Passport

rjones

When I was there in Nov, I heard the LTR beeps on 460.025, but not much else. Don't know if a TRS is active now or not, but Sunday I'm heading back there so hope to find out something.

Rod

n4yek

rjones said:
When I was there in Nov, I heard the LTR beeps on 460.025, but not much else. Don't know if a TRS is active now or not, but Sunday I'm heading back there so hope to find out something.

Rod
The beeps you heard were because the power was out and the repeater was indicating it was on battery power.
As for any LTR or Trunk system, no money is available to purchase equipment. They have had trunking freqs allocated to them for years hoping to gets some money, but to no avail.
If a trunk system comes to the county, all cities police and fire will have to get in together in order for it to be fesable, and right now Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and being forced to
upgrade both of their wastewater plants by the state. This means millions of dollars spent elsewere, not on trunking systems.
Just a note to give to you fellows.
Danny Harp
N4YEK

n4yek

rjones said:
Thanks Danny for that info. I hate it when priorities get changed like that.

Rod
No problem, i have been looking forward to a trunk system for years. But when you look at
the growth to the area, they need to upgrade public utilities or they won't be able to support
the people's needs for such items as sewer and water.
Danny

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
n4yek said:
No problem, i have been looking forward to a trunk system for years. But when you look at
the growth to the area, they need to upgrade public utilities or they won't be able to support
the people's needs for such items as sewer and water.
Danny
Times have changed, but not too much

I used to be an explorer with the SPD back in the 70's One of the old timers told me they used to be on one of the public utilities frequencys back in the late 60's. Then it was 37.26 then 460. ? about 1975 or 6. It was their system (repeater on Ski Mtn I believe)and Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge wanted on too. So....3 agencies sharing one channel, We had 2 patrols and a Sgt. Gatlinburg was similar with cadets in the summer doing foot work. Pigeon Forge had 2 units normally. Gatlinburg had the only NCIC machine in the county. It would never fail that Sevierville units calling for a check would get a " NCIC down" message from their dispatcher. We also had 37.26 as a base to do this with Gatlinburg. Mostly masterII mobles and portables in Ford's and 2 Mot Micors in 2 Chev Nova's. The Sheriff's dept was another story and something of a joke back then by today's standards.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Yes, many TN LE agencies used, or were licensed for, 37.26 in the old days. In Sevier County, Gatlinburg still uses it for public works. PL is used, but I can't remember tone (failed to write it down).

rjones

Well, had a great trip. Didn't note any changes from when I was there in Nov. for Gatlinburg, but find a couple new repeater outputs for the NPS, 170.3875 and 172.5875, both P-25.

Rod
Atlanta

tennesseefreq

System has come online as of this week. The Sevier County Sheriffs Dept. is now using system on thier primary conventional channel as LTR. 460.0250 with LCN of 11. Talk group shows up as 0-11-140 on BCD396t. Not determined if it will be a muti-net or standard. I assume it will be a muti-net due to some information I have collected.

n4yek

Here is an e-mail I received from a friend who helps me out on frequencies, this is interesting: ( I received this a couple of months ago)

"Quote"
I have heard that "some" of Sevier County will be going to trunking system

in March (next month).

Know that Sheriff Dept. has equipment (purchasing it from Land-Air
Communications...it used
to belong to Mike Jenkins...don't know if still has or not).
Have heard from few radio sources not happy with this acquirement for
purchase as it may
not have been advertised for open bid and they didn't know/would have liked
to try for the
contract...something seems funny here, as in this company could monopolize
the county
communications. Metro Comm was unaware & slightly upset.

Ambulance service is supposed to be first online. Sheriff to follow.
Heard $23,000 spent by Northview/Kodak VFD to upgrade to system.
460.025 will still be usable also by officers of sheriff. Towers, etc &
total control of it is
handled by Land Air. Been pushing for this for few years now.

Have heard that Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge may "not" go to it.
It may be a cost issue with them, especially with Gat, as I was told this
once before-they may
own their own towers as they have had problems and had to recalibrate things
a lot.

If central comm (e911 system) goes, most will have to either go or purchase
at least 1 unit for relay purpose between them & their field units.

Any ideas on freq & how/if this is gonna be scannable. I know that Knoxville
used to have
20 frequencies that rolled forward like a continuous loop once de-keyed and
if all were banked,
it could be captured with a fast scanner, but don't know what technology
they're gonna use.
Dick
end "Quote"

Here is another one I received from a firefighter:
"Quote"

North veiw kodak spent 30.000,
waldens creek fire 15,000 don't know about sevier,med 9,spd or fire.
PFPD PFFD, GATPD, GATFD is not going to it.
The new sevier hospital is 463.9875 thats only 1 found so far.i will keep u info new ones when i find them.
thanks 4 the reply
brad
end"Quote"

Just some interesting reading I received I thought you might like to see.(These may or may not be accurite)
Danny N4YEK

Last edited:

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Sevier County LTR-further

A new communications system set to go into effect for local emergency officials is expected to help keep county residents and emergency service providers safe.
Perhaps as soon as the end of this month, most local departments and some city and county agencies will switch to the new UHF system. The move will make communications across the county virtually uniform.

Advertisement

Law enforcement officials, led by the Sevier County Sheriff's Department, have been working for years to prepare for the move.

"We didn't know if this was eventually going to happen, but we've been planning for it and we're very happy that it finally is," Sheriff Ron Seals said.

While other non-UHF systems are available, Seals said the one chosen for local officials will serve them best because it will have the least interference from the area's high mountains.

Seals said he hopes the system will be operational within the coming weeks. The new system has several advantages that will enable those who work to protect the citizens of the county to do their jobs better.

For instance, as the county was dealing with an outbreak of wildfires earlier this year, several fire departments expressed concerns that they had no way to communicate with others working on the blazes.

"This system will give all the departments a channel they can switch over to and talk to each other on in the event of a countywide emergency like that," Seals said.

The system will also offer direct communication with law enforcement outside the county, including the Knox County Sheriff's Department, which often lends support to the local department.

Sheriff's deputies will now also have the added safety of a "man down" button, that will alert others in the event they are injured on a call or find themselves in a situation where they need assistance but cannot get on the radio to call for it.

A further advantage of the new system is it will allow for the installation of global positioning system locators in deputies' vehicles. That will enable dispatchers to track where each car is at all times and may help protect deputies, Seals said.

"This system will keep everybody completely safe when they're operating out there," Seals said.

Still, with all the advantages of the system, Seals concedes there are some negatives. For instance, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge have opted not to be part of the system for now. Also, it's unknown how the new system will work with the scanners some people use in their homes. Seals says analog scanners will definitely not work as local departments switch to an all-digital network in the near future.

"It has its good points and it has its bad points, but the pluses definitely outnumber the negatives," Seals said.

* dhodges@themountainpress.com

©The Mountain Press 2007

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I have monitored the new system, from the database LCN1 and LCN101 definetly works. I only heard the one talkgroup on it and you can't hear it from inside Great Smokey Mountain Park at least not on highway 441 from the vistor center to the NC state line at the Gap. I heard nothing on site LCN102 at all.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Might this be a Trident Microsystems "Passport" LTR system? Signs such as multi-site and multi-user point in that direction.

n4yek

Monitored the system today, trying to find the LCN, heard another
talkgroup 0-11-130 also being used by the Sheriffs department. Seems
they are still working out bugs in the system because if an officer calls
the dispatcher and the id is 0-11-130, they don't respond. Then he
will call again with the id 0-11-140 and the dispatcher will respond to
the call.
Also saw the sheriff department talking on 460.1125 when the home
freq was occupied, so they are actually moving. I have set up my
trying to figure out where 460.1125 is at by repeater number so i
can get in into the correct LCN.
Just some input for you all to read about...
Danny N4YEK

wwhitby

Feed Provider
EZlistener said:
Might this be a Trident Microsystems "Passport" LTR system? Signs such as multi-site and multi-user point in that direction.

Could they start out with regular LTR and then go to a Passport LTR system? I kind of doubt it, but since I don't know much about LTR, I figured i'd ask. If they can't switch from regular LTR to Passport LTR, would that mean this system is going to stay regular LTR (aka, monitorable?)

I vacation in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg frequently and would hate to not be able to listen in :(

Warren

n4yek

Monitoring today, I am thinking id 0-11-130 might possibly be a car to
car id. I hears 2 officers talking to each other with that id. The when one of them tried to call dispatch, he didn't get a reply. When he tried
again the id was 0-11-140 and told the dispatcher he tried to call her
just a second ago and got no reply until he relized his radio was on
the wrong channel.
Also it just might be possible that freq 460.1125 is LCN02, not
100% on that though.
Just an update...
Danny N4YEK

Status
Not open for further replies.