hotair balloons freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi i was wondering what freq. range hotair balloons usually run on?
And also when searching licenses, what do i look for to tell me its for a hotair balloon?

radio10-8

Early weekend mornings I see 3-4 of these and have been thinking about the same thing. So after a McDonalds breakfast I saw one very close and I decided to chase it with close call on. I heard air to ground talking on 123.4 I heard balloon giving chase car info on time to land and where they are looking to land. I did see the chase car, a Ford f250 dually and it had NO antennas and river was holding a handheld. I did stop and ask him about how to pay for a ride and he was not up for visitors or questions. But I did see him holding an Icom radio. Unknown what model. I didn't chase once they were getting ready to land. I did NOT pick up any FRS/GMRS so maybe it's up to the pilot and ground crew?

K0ATC

I have talked to several that have come up on my control frequencies, so local control tower frequencies are not out of the question, though they can not used them for air to ground chase info. I assume you are looking for the chase frequencies though, and the FRS/GMRS that was suggested above is a good start, then some of the VHF airband frequencies that are used as talk arounds, usually referred to as air to air. One that was not mentioned that may be used now or in the future is MURS. If you know the name of the company that does tours you may be able to look them up in the FCC database, but none of the suggested frequencies have to be licensed so this would only be if they were using something completely different.

Scott

JESSERABBIT

I have heard them on the 2m ham band on simplex channels, 146.52, FM etc. in north western Va. No call sign, obviously either hams (not likely) or "frequency pirates".

Last edited:

K0ATC

Don_Burke said:
It is illegal to use MURS in aircraft, although that would not stop many people.

I don't know if they go into specifics, but I am sure the reason for that rule is due to avionics, avionics that would not be on hot air balloons. You can not use any type of transmitter on an aircraft that has airband radios for communications already. Seeing that you can legally fly without any type of radio as long as you abide by the airspace restrictions I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use it legally. Also I think that hot air balloons fall under experimental aircraft so that may have some bearing on the legality of using it on a balloon. I know for a fact the rule is not written specifically for flight of any kind, because they have used MURS for tracking birds, do to the fact that they can legally use data on MURS. All that aside, you said it best "that would not stop many people"

Scott

Don_Burke

scott4957 said:
I don't know if they go into specifics, but I am sure the reason for that rule is due to avionics, avionics that would not be on hot air balloons. You can not use any type of transmitter on an aircraft that has airband radios for communications already. Seeing that you can legally fly without any type of radio as long as you abide by the airspace restrictions I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use it legally. Also I think that hot air balloons fall under experimental aircraft so that may have some bearing on the legality of using it on a balloon. I know for a fact the rule is not written specifically for flight of any kind, because they have used MURS for tracking birds, do to the fact that they can legally use data on MURS. All that aside, you said it best "that would not stop many people"

Scott
Your facts could stand a bit of checking.

My guess is the rule about aircraft in flight is to keep range down.

I just copied the below from the GPO website.

[Code of Federal Regulations]

[Title 47, Volume 5]

[Revised as of October 1, 2006]

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[CITE: 47CFR95.1303]

[Page 563-564]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart J_Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)

Sec. 95.1303 Authorized locations.

(a) MURS operation is authorized:

(1) Anywhere CB station operation is permitted under Sec. 95.405;

and

(2) Aboard any vessel of the United States, with the permission of

the captain, while the vessel is travelling either domestically or in

international waters.

(b) MURS operation is not authorized aboard aircraft in flight.

(c) Anyone intending to operate a MURS unit on the islands of Puerto

Rico, Desecheo, Mona, Vieques, and Culebra in a manner that could pose

an interference threat to the Arecibo Observatory shall notify the

Interference Office, Arecibo Observatory, HC3 Box 53995, Arecibo, Puerto

Rico 00612, in writing or electronically, of the location of the unit.

Operators may wish to consult interference guidelines, which will be

provided by Cornell University. Operators who choose to transmit

information electronically should e-mail to: prcz@naic.edu.

(1) The notification to the Interference Office, Arecibo Observatory

shall be made 45 days prior to commencing operation of the unit. The

notification shall state the geographical coordinates of the unit.

(2) After receipt of such notifications, the Commission will allow

the Arecibo

[[Page 564]]

Observatory a period of 20 days for comments or objections. The operator

will be required to make reasonable efforts in order to resolve or

mitigate any potential interference problem with the Arecibo

Observatory. If the Commission determines that an operator has satisfied

its responsibility to make reasonable efforts to protect the Observatory

from interference, the unit may be allowed to operate.

[65 FR 60878, Oct. 13, 2000, as amended at 70 FR 31374, June 1, 2005]

K0ATC

Please do not put words in my mouth, I did not claim be stating the "facts.” The only part of my statement that I claimed to be factual was the tracking of migratory birds, you look it up. The only thing that is said in the rules you posted is you cannot use MURS on “aircraft in flight”. If it were to keep the range down, then why would they allow the use of MURS frequencies to track migratory birds? The restriction is “aircraft in flight”, otherwise they would have banned all “airborne” use.

I was raising the question so someone may look into it in more detail, not rehash the rules that everyone has read a few dozen times already. The real problem here is they leave it open to interpretation. My views as stated are my opinion, when I state facts I say so. Your "guess" as you put it, on range is no more factual and requires no less "checking" then my opinion on avionics. The rules you posted do not factually prove one way or another. Next time, before you try to flame someone you may want to do some checking of your own.

Scott

kny2xb

According to the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual:

123.3 and 123.5 are designated for Aviation instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon (not to be used for advisory service).

K0ATC

kny2xb said:
According to the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual:

123.3 and 123.5 are designated for Aviation instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon (not to be used for advisory service).

I'll have to listen up on these when I see a balloon in the area. I think I have heard 123.5 used for air to air on light civils doing cross country trips together. Was there a number on the publication you got the info out of, I'd like to look at it and see what else is in there. They have a huge hot air balloon race every year in St. Louis, I used to live there and never bothered to try and listen in, I'm sure it would have been interesting. Also, I wounder how they handle that situation, even if they used every radio frequency or allocation we listed they would not have enough frequencies for all those balloons.

Scott

K0ATC

Ah ok, the AIM, sorry we remember so many pub's I try to keep it short or I'll forget where the info is! LOL Thanks for the info, didn't remember coming across that information in there.

Scott

gcgrotz

I'd just like to add my 2cents that of the 2 balloons that operate around here regularly, I've heard them on the CHO tower freq exactly twice. One of those times they asked the tower if that was Air Force One in the pattern. (It wasn't, but it was one of the SAM fleet with a Venus callsign from Andrews doing practices). I had the "balloon" freqs in the scanner for a long time and never heard anything. I think they use a business band licensed UHF ferquency since they are based at Boar's Head Inn, but obviously they carry an aero radio too.

I would venture a guess that if someone doesn't know MURS or FRS is not authorized they may well be using it somewhere. I like the plan of following them with close call on!

Good Luck

kny2xb

scott4957 said:
Ah ok, the AIM, sorry we remember so many pub's I try to keep it short or I'll forget where the info is! LOL Thanks for the info, didn't remember coming across that information in there.

Scott

In the AIM, Chapter 4 on Air Traffic Control, on pages 163 and 164 of the .pdf has the info and frequencies for unicom / multicom, etc. That's where I found them.

The book is quite large, I just kept paging down until I saw frequencies, then I stopped to read the info. Since it was useful, I copied the info into my spreadsheet and PRO-97 scanner and software.

Greg
Clearwater / Dunedin FL

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
also try 151.6250 and that entire range--I work with a local balloon chase crew and we use 151.625 I believe-they said t was 151 range and I also heard other use it at a hot air balloon event a few weeks ago-

k9rzz

The local hot air balloon festival here had up to 9 balloons in the air at one time. If they all used just 2 or 3 frequencies then they'd have a problem. Think of the BIG festivals when you've got dozens aloft.

Q:What frequencies to they use? A: Anything and everything!
icon10.gif

n0nhp

Long time LTA crew chief here,

I have used 27MHz CB (logistics are a pain)

49MHz walkie talkies (reliability problems)

FRS works pretty well in most cases

However as we don't use the frequency for business, just for safety and logistics, both the pilot and most of the chase crew on our aircraft are amateur operators. Finding and using a simplex on less than a watt (if we lose line of sight to the aircraft, the ground crew is not doing it's job) is relatively simple with dual band handheld and mobile radios. Many of the crews on other (especially owner operator balloons) are getting licensed for just this purpose.

I have also subbed on pro crews and they usually have a business VHF or UHF frequency many times associated with a local community repeater to coordinate passenger movement as well as chase.

"Victor" handheld radios are almost always in the basket but unless the wind shifts and we start approaching Class C (we do everything possible except at major rallies to avoid class B) the radios are only used to listen to ATIS before launch. That said, not all crews have FCC licensed Techs on their crew and to them "A radio is a radio" and why should they have to carry two when they already have to carry an aircraft band radio in the basket. I would not be too surprised to see a second one in the chase crew's hands and being used on what ever frequency the crew has never heard anyone else on.

I do know for a fact that the FCC has had mobile units around the field at the Albuquerque balloon fest and that notices and warnings have been issued depending on the severity of the offence.

Bruce

drayd48

Hot Air Balloon

Most of the hot air balloons use 151.625 and I know that because I am a crew person

Status
Not open for further replies.