Kansas roll call

monitorman

What Kansas City or County do you live and what do you listen to?

I monitor mostly PS & ham in Leavenworth and Leavenworth county.

rhicks6000

Premium Subscriber
I live in Topeka most freqs I have programmed are Topeka/Shawnee county, Jackson county(Ks) which covers Prairie Band Nation, Jefferson county, Saline county when I go to Salina to see mom and RailRoad

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I live near Sacramento California, but was raised in Sheridan County KS. I work for Decatur Co EMS when I'm home for visits, and keep up to speed on comms and happenings around Sheridan, Decatur, and Thomas counties in NW Kansas.

ksfirefighter

Premium Subscriber
I live in Harveyville and work in Emporia so I listen to Wabaunsee Co. Lyon Co. Osage Co. Shawnee Co. and Morris Co. all public safety freqs.

LeeBarnes

i live in labette county, and i so listen to labette, neosho, montgomery, wilson, cherokee, crawford counties here in kansas, jasper county in missouri and craig, nowata, & ottawa counties in oklahoma.

i also monitor a bunch of the Kansas City ARTCC frequencies and a few in the Memphis ARTCC.

i'm a ham also, so i monitor them freqs as well.

my radios NEVER shut up. :D

Last edited:

n0lqt

Newton, Harvey County. I monitor Harvey, McPherson, Reno, and Sedgwick Counties along with the KSICS system out of Wichita and Eldorado towers. Ham operator and pilot so I enjoy listening to Ham and Aircraft bands.

RS Pro-2004, Pro-95, Pro-96
Kenwood TS-450, TM-231, TM-531, TH-78A, and TS-830
Yaesu FT-411
and one very understanding wife!

KHPFAN

I live in the Linn area, in Washington Co, i mostly monitor washington, marshall, clay, riley, and cloud, and then local KHP towers still on the 800Mhz system and then on good nights i can get reception from Ottawa tower with the KSICS system.
Pro-97, and Pro-2096

bill44

kc

i am in prairie village ks ,listen to johnson, wyandote,miani,leavenworth in ks,kansas city
jackson,platte ,clay &cass in mo

mwommack

I'm in Wichita. I monitor SG and BU counties at home. When on the road for work, I catch CL, RN, HV, and KM. Mostly, I listen to public safety for the most part but lately I've been monitoring Durham school services (school bus contractor for Wichita Public Schools). It's like a 3-ring circus every afternoon. My "shack" consists of a single Pro-96.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
I live in So KcMO & have so many radios that it would take a page and a half or more to list.
to put it mildly i have radios monitoring just about anything that is trunked in kc including Passport, LTR, EDACS, Mot P25, MotTypeII, and TypeI, and at least as many PCs running the various flavors of Trunker & Etrunker, both dos and windoze vers, to log all that goes on around here. all of them are networked to grab log files as needed. some are used to feed shoutcast send audio to the net and i use skype to monitor/log in realtime remotely & privatly when i need to.
As i have several radios around the KC metro area to get things i cant hear from home

My other half is a "ScannerNut" too, also I am a ham for over 30 yrs or so.

so radio is spoken in my house as well.

Sm0ke

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I parked 4 nights in the Hampton Inn in Hutch departing this AM through Mcpherson to Emporia then to KC. Currently in Hampton Inn in Columbia MO. While in KS, I scanned KSICS and the I-35 counties both directions, including Chase Marion counties plus Harvy/Newton, Wichita, Reno/Hutch, Rice, Barton and Ellsworth.

Visiting relatives in Rice County, born and raised west of Lyons.

What a soaking we got in Hutch. :lol:

Last edited:

n0lqt

DrSm0ke said:
...i use skype to monitor/log in realtime remotely & privatly when i need to.... Sm0ke

damn! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks Sm0ke, you've given me a project for the weekend......n0lqt

rankin39

I live about 4 mi. west of Tonganoxie in Leavenworth Co. I listen to various county and state agencies and explore the federal and milair bands. I've been a licensed amateur for over 50 years, currently with the callsign W0NXN, and am active in county emergency preparedness and storm spotting.

I currently use a BCD996T and a couple of older BC-780s. Now that this part of the state has "gone digital", I mostly use the 780s for aircraft listening. I have ham gear and two h.f. receivers. I also have a Winradio 3500 for exploring odd frequency ranges and modes.

Bob

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Franklin Co.

I hear the locals of course as well as JOCO, Jeff Co., Anderson, Osage, Miami, Topeka at times and often KCMO and KCK when the band is decent.
There are times I get Riley Co Police when the signals are really ducting in.

CWR

Western Wyandotte County:

I mainly monitor Police & Fire. Currently using 2-Pro-2096's and a Pro-96 handheld. I also am enjoying playing around with an Alinco DJ-X30 for conventional stuff.

Not used so much anymore are a Standard CCR-708A , AOR-8200 , Yupiteru-7300EU , Trident-TRX200 , Alinco DJ-V5T , And a Uniden-BC246T. I don't know why , but I never cared much for the Uniden 246T , and as soon as I got the Pro-96 , the Uniden got retired.................

KSquelch

I live in Salina and monitor Salina/Saline PD & SO, city and rural fire. Also Ottawa, McPherson, Ellsworth and Dickinson KHP towers. Also listen to Dickinson, McPherson, Ellsworth, Lincoln and Ottawa county services.

n0lqt

Scanner-Skype connection

oSutrooper said:
skype like the phone software????

Yep, set Skype on the home computer to "Auto-Answer" and set up your record controls for Line-in audio. You can null out the output audio if you want. Skpe to your home computer from a remote computer or if you subscribe to Skype-In, you can call your Skype number from anywhere in the world on a telephone.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to write a script to have Skpe call me and playback a recorded file of the scanner's output for say the last hour or so. Ususally there is less than 10 minutes of actual audio recorded per hour, unless I have something like Wichita/Sedgwick County TRS enabled.....n0lqt