Does UHF or VHF get farther on skip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted to know if UHF or VHF gets farther on skip. Which one usually gets farther? I wanted to know this because I pick up Burlington PD on 460.075 on skip here in Peoria IL. It interrupts East Peoria PD which is on the same freq as Burlington PD. When I said Burlington I meant Burlington IA. On VHF I sometimes get Rock Island CO Sheriffs on 159.150 with the 192.8 PL here in Peoria IL from the Quad Cities. Thank you very much for your help.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I have, in Alberta witnessed skip on UHF but not VHF. More often i see inversions effect VHF but not UHF. Other times they seem to go equally as far. Every band opening is different, from direction and intensity. It is not something you can define in black and white

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
UHF VHF skip

Temperature inversions or ducting are often the cause of longer distances on the higher frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands The type of skip that gives distances from continent to continent depends on the lower frequencies such as 20 or 40 meters. What you may be hearing at this time of year with warm days and cooler night could be caused by the temperature inversion as the cool night air settles over the warm ground. I have experienced this once over 200 miles on 2 meters (144-148 mHz ham), and over a shorter distance from a transmitter about 90 miles away on 2 meters. It has happened several times lately as the days get shorter and cooler faster.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

350km is 218.75m, 500Km is 318.5m

KE5TLF

Some of my "greatest hits", mostly one time only, chance encounters.

/\/\ 800MHz
7B2D - Alachua County, FL @ ~372 miles
7E23 - Tift County, GA @ ~306 miles
5C1B - Opelika, AL @ ~239 miles

/\/\ 700MHz
197 - Florida's SLERS P25 Site 8901 @ ~356 miles
1BD - LWIN Site 204 @ ~283 miles

More frequent "visits" from almost anything below ~150 miles. (380, 700, 800 MHz)

Though 700 MHz is tricky with all the re-use of freqs. in that band.

Also the correct link to:
6-DAY FORECASTS OF VHF, UHF & MICROWAVE RADIO & TV SIGNAL STRENGTH & INTERFERENCE

Last edited:

There are a lot of variables to how far each particular band would go. A lot of it has to do with your noise figure for each band, your receiver sensitivity, antenna gain, coaxial cable losses, preamplification, filter insertion, and so forth. Another part of this has to do with the transmitter site, effective radiated power, etc. And the big variable, the path, which can be very solid or change rapidly based on a number of phenomena (including going over water).

So what's better really depends on a number of things between the station you're listening to and you. And, how quiet the frequency is without having stations heaped on top of each other.

I can say that when I owned a ham repeater in northeastern NJ, I used to have a solid enough signal during August and September evenings to make reliable, full-quieting mobile autopatch calls from down the Garden State Parkway some 83 miles away. Occasionally, the path was as long as 110 miles - and sometimes up to Boston.

ecps92

700/800/900 for the Rare occasion too.

I've had 800/900 from Maine down into Boston & Cape Cod when conditions open up.

It's gonna be fun when Maine does power up the VHF TRS to see how far those signals get thrown and interfere :D

Indeed it does bud!!

UHF can open up quite nicely :)

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Tropo skip is best in the spring and fall, late evenings and early mornings. I DX television stations, and have logged stations as far away as Arizona and Florida (I am in Arkansas) on UHF. VHF not quite so far on Tropo, but low band VHF using E layer skip have picked up Cuba and Mexico.

The type skip you are speaking of is more than likely tropo. Check out: VHF Propagation Map
for current tropo conditions in the US. It will show strength and distance. It correlates quite well to what I see DXing TV on UHF as well.

SCPD

QRT
tv

Tropo skip is best in the spring and fall, late evenings and early mornings. I DX television stations, and have logged stations as far away as Arizona and Florida (I am in Arkansas) on UHF. VHF not quite so far on Tropo, but low band VHF using E layer skip have picked up Cuba and Mexico.

The type skip you are speaking of is more than likely tropo. Check out: VHF Propagation Map
for current tropo conditions in the US. It will show strength and distance. It correlates quite well to what I see DXing TV on UHF as well.

What are You using for a tv antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.