Caught 10M Ham Radio Band On Skip Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening to everybody. Have not posted in a little bit but wanted to share this with the members. Today while seaching thru 10M band I caught skip from CA. It was simplex on 29.290. I thought it was amazing to hear it. I was using a PCTEL (Maxrad) mobile antenna cut for 47MHz. It is a 1/4 wave and base loaded. I have never heard skip on Low Band or 10M FM ever. It was 10M FM I forgot to say.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
29.600 MHz FM is busy as it is the calling frequency. When propagation rolls in, I turn down my radio to 25 watts and still push a big signal. You may want to add that to your scan list.

There is a very popular 10M contest this weekend. You may hear quite a few people from around the world if your receiver offers USB.

mancow

Database Admin
I talked with Cuba on 28.495 with nothing but my PRC-2200 on 20 watts not long ago inside with half a folded antenna. When 10 is up it's unstoppable.

29.600 MHz FM is busy as it is the calling frequency. When propagation rolls in, I turn down my radio to 25 watts and still push a big signal. You may want to add that to your scan list.

There is a very popular 10M contest this weekend. You may hear quite a few people from around the world if your receiver offers USB.

Thank you! I will stick that Freq in and see what I hear. Thank you for letting me know about this contest. I am using a scanner but on my shortwave I have it does USB.

I am listening right now and hearing someone from Washington State on 29.600.

Skip

This skip has been going on for a couple of days on the 10M band of the ham radio. I didnt know that it could last this long. Today I got Arizona on 29.600 FM simplex.

mancow

Database Admin
This skip has been going on for a couple of days on the 10M band of the ham radio. I didnt know that it could last this long. Today I got Arizona on 29.600 FM simplex.

It has been this way the last four or five months. You can work the world on a 1/4 watt voice when the band is right. Less than that CW.

I worked the NY 29.620 repeater on a lowband Motorola hand held a month ago from Kansas.

It has been this way the last four or five months. You can work the world on a 1/4 watt voice when the band is right. Less than that CW.

I worked the NY 29.620 repeater on a lowband Motorola hand held a month ago from Kansas.

I didnt know it could last for months. I only had this Low Band antenna for a couple of days. To work a repeater in NY from Kansas is cool. On a portable it is amazing to do that. It is cool how a radio signal can travel that far.

Tech792

10m has been wide open the past few months (Especially December). I hit all over on 20 watts from my truck with a Wilson 1000 mag mount.

JnglMassiv

Anthony, if you tune around on 10m regularly during the weekend days, I'll bet you hear more than you might think. Try down lower in the SSB portion of the band.

It is difficult to exaggerate the shabbiness of my station.
An FT817 QRP rig, an autotuner and ~33 feet of salvaged CAT5 up in the attic rafters. The antenna wire is soldered to a PL259 connector which is installed right into the tuner which is itself attached to a beam with a twist tie. In other words, the antenna feed is literally the back of the tuner.
I have worked all over North America and Europe with this and heard (but haven't worked...yet) deep into Asia.
I have surpassed the 5000 mile mark on QSOs numerous times with this five watt rig.
There's been one or two that were over 6000 miles.
This has been on the 10meter band.
My height and width-limited antenna is, let's say, a bit less disadvantaged on this band.

Anthony, if you tune around on 10m regularly during the weekend days, I'll bet you hear more than you might think. Try down lower in the SSB portion of the band.

It is difficult to exaggerate the shabbiness of my station.
An FT817 QRP rig, an autotuner and ~33 feet of salvaged CAT5 up in the attic rafters. The antenna wire is soldered to a PL259 connector which is installed right into the tuner which is itself attached to a beam with a twist tie. In other words, the antenna feed is literally the back of the tuner.
I have worked all over North America and Europe with this and heard (but haven't worked...yet) deep into Asia.
I have surpassed the 5000 mile mark on QSOs numerous times with this five watt rig.
There's been one or two that were over 6000 miles.
This has been on the 10meter band.
My height and width-limited antenna is, let's say, a bit less disadvantaged on this band.

I cant belive you got 6000 miles. I will give the 10m SSB portion a try. I seem to be getting alot of people out West for some reason.

mm

This is pretty much standard for 10 meter FM which has been open since way before 2011 up here in the Pacific northwest.

Just about every afternoon up here in the pacific northwest we have daily openings to South America and late afternoon to New Zealand with ZL2OK along with a considerable area of North America coming in.

Most days brings early evening and nightly contacts between Oregon and Japanese regulars such as JA3HAW AND JL1TQZ who check in almost every night and even some stations from China such as BV2DQ IN Taiwan and RA0SS in Siberia who will also check in on 29.6MHZ FM.

The Salem Oregon remote base system has been running 24/7 since 2011 using a 2el moxon antenna running only 65 watts with combined contacts of over 2000 dx countries on all continents.

Most days our remote base is constantly receiving from 8 am local to after 5pm local time on 29.6, 29.5 and 29.3 FM.

This is pretty much standard for 10 meter FM which has been open since way before 2011 up here in the Pacific northwest.

Just about every afternoon up here in the pacific northwest we have daily openings to South America and late afternoon to New Zealand with ZL2OK along with a considerable area of North America coming in.

Most days brings early evening and nightly contacts between Oregon and Japanese regulars such as JA3HAW AND JL1TQZ who check in almost every night and even some stations from China such as BV2DQ IN Taiwan and RA0SS in Siberia who will also check in on 29.6MHZ FM.

The Salem Oregon remote base system has been running 24/7 since 2011 using a 2el moxon antenna running only 65 watts with combined contacts of over 2000 dx countries on all continents.

Most days our remote base is constantly receiving from 8 am local to after 5pm local time on 29.6, 29.5 and 29.3 FM.

I made a zone just for 10m ham radio since I have been hearing all of these stations and I made a zone for 6m ham also. I put 52.525 in it. I will add 29.300 in the radio tonight and I just put in 29.500 tonight. Thank you for the Freq info.

Status
Not open for further replies.