Big Tropo opening 10/12/15 nighttime

Status
Not open for further replies.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
A major band opening on VHF / UHF here in Connecticut last night. I heard NYPD all across the 477 MHz band, and Boston EMS dispatching on Med 10 - 462.975. Also, there was a very strong Maritime offshore weather broadcast on 161.775 MHz that I have never heard before. I have no idea where this was coming from and didn't catch an ID, just a female synth voice giving nautical and offshore conditions until it faded out around 2300 local.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Indeed, that was a good one! Multi-directional from my location on Cape Cod; I had everything from southern NJ to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in St. Stephen New Brunswick. The amount of signals present when using two SDR's was almost overwhelming!

hfxChris

Database Admin
Yup I was really enjoying it here in NS as well, it kept me up til 2am.. Good thing I didn't have to work today.
That weather broadcast on 161.775 would have most likely been coming from Yarmouth NS.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I was on a repeater with another ham during this time and he told me he was hearing me on the input. He's 45 miles north of me and I was using a 4 watt HT upstairs in my house. I thought, "No way" and started questioning him about how he was checking the repeater input, since he's a new ham. But he was doing all the right things (using the "REV" button to check the input freq). At that point I should have started looking for more tropo skip on 2M, but didn't really think it was an opening.... darn!

Status
Not open for further replies.