My 3 SDR Choices-HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4wve

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have been a ham for 20+years, and recently became interested in short wave listening. I have decided to purchase an SDR radio, either the Perseus, the Win Radio DDC or the Bonito Radio Jet. None got good reviews on eham, as hams were only using them for ham related uses, not SWLing. I thought naybe you guys could help me decide. I am mostly interested in broadcast, numbers stations and utility listening.

Greg
N4WVE/WPC4GH

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a review of hte Perseus linked in our wiki from Alan Johnson N4LUS, who wrote it for NASWA...

NASWA Journal Columns · Equipment Reviews

and another review from Dave N9EWO (who used to write for Passport to World Band Radio...)

Microtelecom PERSEUS Direct Sampling HF Receiver - N9EWO

and while the reviews on eHam are basically written by hams, they are still a valid source of comments. Contrary to the OP, some of the opinions there are quite favorable. Here's a set on the Perseus

Microtelecom PERSEUS Product Reviews

And there are 2 WinRadio DDC models also reviewed on the eHam site - which you can find at the bottom of;

eHam.net Reviews - Receivers: General Coverage

It looks like the RadioJet model is a bit too new to have anything on it yet

Mike

NYG

I remember looking into the Radio Jet a while back. I'm pretty sure it's not a SDR, but more of a computer controlled radio.

majoco

Stirrer
NYG said:
I'm pretty sure it's not a SDR, but more of a computer controlled radio.
They even admit it as such on their website - much like the WinRadio G303/305. IMHO I'd go for Excalibur - even though I'm quite happy (relatively!) with my G303e.

SCPD

QRT
+1 vote for the Perseus

Stick with the original Perseus application software and you'll love it. It also has the remote internet feature so you can listen to other Perseus receivers around the world -- which is quite fascinating and very addictive. Plus you can set up your own remote receiver for others to listen (or for you to listen while you're away from home!)

The WinRadio hardware is newer and probably a tad more sensitive but I don't think it's a human-measurable difference.

The software is the big issue with SDRs. I highly recommend downloading the Perseus software and playing with it a bit. You can also check out the remote receivers as well and actually test drive a Perseus.

http://microtelecom.it/perseus/software.html

Download the WinRadio software demo as well. If you need a sample file to playback then let me know.

http://www.winradio.com/home/download-g31ddc.htm

AFAIK, the RadioJet is not in the same league as the Perseus and Excalibur SDRs

Last edited:

n4wve

Premium Subscriber
Thanx for all the input, guys! I have always steered well clear of SDR radios as I never thought I would like (or trust) a computer radio. I thought I would try a short wave SDR to see how I like it. I will still hang on to my FT-2000 for now :) the price is right on the Radio Jet and Bonita is very responsive to my emails, and that is a big plus!

Token

Hello all,

I have been a ham for 20+years, and recently became interested in short wave listening. I have decided to purchase an SDR radio, either the Perseus, the Win Radio DDC or the Bonito Radio Jet. None got good reviews on eham, as hams were only using them for ham related uses, not SWLing. I thought naybe you guys could help me decide. I am mostly interested in broadcast, numbers stations and utility listening.

Greg
N4WVE/WPC4GH

I have first-hand experience with many of the SDRs on the market today. I own or currently use the Perseus, SDR-IQ, SDR-14, Excalibur, Excalibur Pro, Excelsior, and Softrock Ensemble II, as well as several professional level digitizers. I have used others in the past, often side-by-side with the ones I listed above. These include the QS1R, NetSDR, Soft66, and a couple others I am sure I have forgotten.

Of the three you list the WinRadio G31DDC is the best performer of the bunch. Of course, performance is not the only measurement of an SDR, your interaction with the GUI is also important. However, in this area I also prefer the WinRadio, I like the Excalibur interface better than the Perseus interface. Not everyone agrees with me on that one ;) and they are not wrong, it is just a personal preference. The WinRadio G33DDC Excalibur Pro is an even better machine with regards to performance, but it is not one of the SDRs you listed.

The Perseus has one advantage over the other two you list, it can be remote controlled over the Internet. You can also access other Perseus receivers around the World via the same network. This is a very cool feature. The WinRadio G33DDC Excalibur Pro can also be remoted (a $200 option), but not as part of a network with multiple selectable radios around the World.

The Excalibur has the widest DDC bandwidth of the SDRs you quote, this is the recordable spectrum of the device. This SDR is also the only one on the hobby market that allows you to see, in real time, the entire HF spectrum (up to either 30 or 50 MHz, user selectable) on one display while also using the DDC spectrum to listen / monitor specific ranges. This ability is unique and once you use it for Utility listening and finding new stations you wonder how you ever operated without it.

The Bonito Radio Jet is the most limited SDR of the ones you list. It has a DDC bandwidth of only 20 or 24 kHz. This means that you can only realistically look at one station at a time, except for possibly in the case of SSB or CW type stations, you might be able to look at a few of them in that bandwidth. While the Radio Jet might be a very good radio, as an SDR it is very limited, severely limited in several areas that give SDRs advantages over traditional radios.

With regards to the DX Channel operation of the Radio Jet. While the details of its operation have never really been released it appears to be nothing more than a software implementation of a "DX"/ "Local" attenuator setting. You can duplicate the demonstrated performance using a correctly implemented attenuator. Both the Perseus and the Excalibur have such attenuators. My video of the Perseus showing this same kind of signal to noise ratio improvement can be found here Time Signal Station, WWV, Perseus Attenuator test, November 10, 2011, 0245 UTC - YouTube Notice that the peak signal does not change much at all, but the SNR changes significantly.

For broadcast station SWLing all three would be good performers and it appears the Radio Jet might be optimized for that application. For utility and numbers stations the Perseus and the Excalibur have significant advantages.

T!

SCPD

QRT
Many SWL are turning to this radio, and for the money, you can't really go wrong.

Oh yeah? How *many* are you talking about? 1, 3, 5 people?

For $650 I'd rather have a SDR that can cover at least 192khz of spectrum -- not 48khz like the Flex-1500. Also, its specifications are guaranteed for only the HAM bands.

You might want to check out this page: Receiver Test Data

mondomusique

I listen to shortwave broadcast. I recently bought my first SDR, the Afedri SDR-Net which costs $250, it is an amazing value and I couldn't be happier with it,. I use Simon Brown's SDR Radio Console as the tuner software. I haven't listened to my Palstar R-30A since the Afedri SDR-Net arrived several months ago.

Read all about the Afedri SDR-Net on the Arctic DX blog:

https://www.box.com/s/1cd9353fa35b1022925e (review - PDF file)

Arctic DX: The Afedri SDR - First Looks

SCPD

QRT
I listen to shortwave broadcast. I recently bought my first SDR, the Afedri SDR-Net which costs $250, it is an amazing value and I couldn't be happier with it,. I use Simon Brown's SDR Radio Console as the tuner software. I haven't listened to my Palstar R-30A since the Afedri SDR-Net arrived several months ago.

Read all about the Afedri SDR-Net on the Arctic DX blog:

https://www.box.com/s/1cd9353fa35b1022925e (review - PDF file)

Arctic DX: The Afedri SDR - First Looks

Yep it looks interesting. Not a bad price either. I hear that it's very comparable to the SDR-IQ.

brandon

Database Admin
+1 on the AFEDRI SDR-NET. It's a fantastic little radio and the price is very good. I have been using it for over a month and have been very impressed with it.

kc8hnz

Premium Subscriber
I own the Perseus, SDR-IQ and the SDR-IP, and naturally the IP wins hands down. Just never mind the $3k price ticket. That being said, the OP stated that he's mostly going to be using it for SWL, and for the the Perseus really shines and i would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.