RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Default New Firmware

Just got an email from the CR-1 Support Dept informing of a firmware upgrade about to be released.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2013, 1:07 PM

To me the noise sounds like what I hear generated from my flatscreen tv and cable box. I need to turn both off to clear out much of the trash. Any plugged in local switching power supplies won't help with noise, either.

I think I will have the CR-1 in a couple of hours. If there are any problems with birdies or images, I'll find them.
Old 03-05-2013, 1:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I Don't like getting Nickel & Dimed

So frequently we buy some expensive of gear, only to find out that to REALLY make it special, we have to purchase some other typically overpriced accessory or software download (can anybody say Uniden HP-1?)

The CommRadio CR-1 offers an internal Lithium Ion rechargeable battery which will give (per specs) something around 10 hours of portable run time. The price is $20. for a factory installed upgrade. That's one of the biggest bargains I've ever seen! The battery plus the socket together probably cost more than $20., and the added value is...Priceless! I just finished up an outdoor session trying to get my new and hopefully improved antenna installed. Using this portable, I was able to verify each section separately, then together to know that everything was functioning correctly before the final hook-ups in the crawl space. For reference, I've attached two pictures showing the battery installed. This way, YOU won't have to take YOURS apart.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 1:55 PM

Nice pictures! The mylar, water resistant cone is a thoughtful addition. I wonder what is envisioned for J7 and the two nearby pads?

I wonder if another 18650 could be put in parallel to double the capacity? It seems there might be just enough room.
Old 03-05-2013, 2:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks! I don't know about those extra pads, probably for a TARDIS bus interface (if you're a fan of Dr. Who).

As far as a second battery - (a) I don't know how that would work with the existing charging circuit, might get tricky or something and (b) the existing battery is so nicely integrated into the package, using a beautiful socket, I'd hate to cluge a bunch of ty-wraps or Velcro or something, only to have it come loose and beat the circuit card to death!

If I wanted to get more battery life, I'd probably wire up another jack someplace, or sneak a pair of wires out the oversized speaker hold down screw holes and hook them up to an external battery holder with 4 or 6 (whatever works) Sanyo eneloop AA cells. That way I could have unlimited life by swapping cells, or by hooking a motorcycle battery or something. How about a small solar panel, about the size of the top of the unit? HECK, a box of mosquitoes could generate the one Watt to power this bad boy!
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Hey CTB, I enjoyed your video's, thanks for sharing your findings.

Could the noise you mentioned be caused by the R75? I notice noise from mine.

How would you compare the CR-1 to the E1?

Thanks
It could indeed be from the R75.

Compared to the E1 (going from memory no longer have the E1), I would say it would hold it's own. I think the E1 had more tools to get the job done. But what the CR-1 can do better is better quieter sound. I like it a lot of ways but dislike it in about just as many. I do believe it will be fixed.
Old 03-05-2013, 5:01 PM

What are the dislikes?
Old 03-05-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD-505 View Post
What are the dislikes?
Sound mainly. I feel it is missing a filter (about 2.1KHz). I also feel it needs an RF gain.

But it does very well. I like it alot. Size is is nice and build is nice. There are just simple things that will be fixed.
Old 03-05-2013, 9:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
Sound mainly. I feel it is missing a filter (about 2.1KHz). I also feel it needs an RF gain.

But it does very well. I like it alot. Size is is nice and build is nice. There are just simple things that will be fixed.
I dumped the automatic mode, amatuer mode and went straight to manual, shortwave mode. Here's what I've seen:

A lot of menu bugs (changing MODE is really annoying at times)
Volume seems inconsistent from SSB to AM mode.
No volume display on meter.
Freeze issue(s)
The feet on my unit are not 100% level. It's better than it was (after adjustment) but it still feels slightly off.
I was having issues getting any signals with simple telescopic whip.
Main tuning knob is OK but IMHO, the indentation actually makes it worse. I'd rather have a little spigot to turn with... and/or it should not have any menu action. The indentation keeps causing me to move the cursor.
Default AM filter is 15khz. I think it should be 7.5khz personally.
At power off, the unit should save the last used position. I think this is OK in manual mode, but in automatic mode, it defaults back.
Possibly some signal overload. I was hearing 15MHz WWV about 50khz up and down.

Anyone else hearing RFI when tuning the dial? I'm pretty sure I'm hearing RFI clicks with every 1khz step. It's not major -- just annoying.

I would love it if MODE just changed mode and that was it. No having to use the right/left buttons.

PS. This is all when using the Wellbrook Loop + Clifton Labs High Pass filter.

Last edited by nickcarr; 03-05-2013 at 9:28 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2013, 9:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have an UltraFire TR 18650 in my hand that says 4200mah 3.7v, that should almost double the life.
prcguy

Quote:
Nice pictures! The mylar, water resistant cone is a thoughtful addition. I wonder what is envisioned for J7 and the two nearby pads?

I wonder if another 18650 could be put in parallel to double the capacity? It seems there might be just enough room.
Old 03-05-2013, 9:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
I have an UltraFire TR 18650 in my hand that says 4200mah 3.7v, that should almost double the life.
prcguy
Presuming the charging circuit can handle the extra capacity....
Old 03-05-2013, 9:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As it comes, is there a 2.6 KHz filter used for Sideband? Can this be used for AM? I wonder if a Tilt bail would raise the audio level some? Have you tried putting the radio on its side and firing the speaker front facing? I think that the audio is low due to the less than 1 watt power consumption, One thing that you could try is an amplified set of speakers driven from the headphone output. The audio that is there sounds very clean. Have you tried MW with a loop antenna?

Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM

More YouTube videos!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[QUOTE=nickcarr;1928586]I dumped the automatic mode, amatuer mode and went straight to manual, shortwave mode. Here's what I've seen:

I was having issues getting any signals with simple telescopic whip.

Possibly some signal overload. I was hearing 15MHz WWV about 50khz up and down.

Anyone else hearing RFI when tuning the dial? I'm pretty sure I'm hearing RFI clicks with every 1khz step. It's not major -- just annoying.

Nick, Just curious as to the issue with lack of reception with the telescopic whip and the possible overload of WWV. Is the receiver dead on the AM Broadcast band with the telescopic whip? Are you saying WWV is 50KHz wide, or are you saying there are images/intermod at + and- 50 KHz from WWV? Are you getting this on any other stations?? Are there similar problems with tuning pops when tuning in 100 and 10 Hz steps?

Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Mike, I didn't try it as yet until just now. These are scanner whips (the generic ones) but they should work.

AM band is very weak with either of them. They should be blasting in... Not sure what's going on there...

Heh, I just powered up my Sony 7600GR and it's not even a contest. It's actually kind of embarrassing.

Sigh, another freeze.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
prcguy
I doubt it is *really* 4200mah. I think the present-day max is 3100mah Panasonic 18650.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Mike, I didn't try it as yet until just now. These are scanner whips (the generic ones) but they should work.

AM band is very weak with either of them. They should be blasting in... Not sure what's going on there...

Heh, I just powered up my Sony 7600GR and it's not even a contest. It's actually kind of embarrassing.

Sigh, another freeze.
I wouldn't be too embarrassed. I can attach a whip to my JRC, Kenwood and AOR sets and those radios would perform just as bad BUT -- the AOR has a switchable whip preamp and it makes all the difference.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
I wouldn't be too embarrassed. I can attach a whip to my JRC, Kenwood and AOR sets and those radios would perform just as bad BUT -- the AOR has a switchable whip preamp and it makes all the difference.
My AOR Trident scanner from 1995 can pick up all of the local AM broadcast stations just fine with a simple rubber duck antenna. Yes I do have to enable the ATT but it works great.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
prcguy
Might want to watch this:

UltraFire BRC 18650 3000mAh 3.7V Li-Ion batteries - 887mAh! - YouTube
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
I doubt it is *really* 4200mah. I think the present-day max is 3100mah Panasonic 18650.
Looks like they have a 3400mah now.

Panasonic 18650 3400mah NCR18650B battery cell

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky