RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 6:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The firmware upgrade which was mentioned earlier in the thread addresses, among other things, the issue of display freeze. I've worked with the upgraded CR-1 for probably 8 hours without so much as a hiccup! I think that problem is solved. Anticipate the upgrade and follow the straight forward instructions, read them twice, and your problems will be gone!
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
I dumped the automatic mode, amatuer mode and went straight to manual, shortwave mode. Here's what I've seen:

A lot of menu bugs (changing MODE is really annoying at times)
Volume seems inconsistent from SSB to AM mode.
No volume display on meter.
Freeze issue(s)
The feet on my unit are not 100% level. It's better than it was (after adjustment) but it still feels slightly off.
I was having issues getting any signals with simple telescopic whip.
Main tuning knob is OK but IMHO, the indentation actually makes it worse. I'd rather have a little spigot to turn with... and/or it should not have any menu action. The indentation keeps causing me to move the cursor.
Default AM filter is 15khz. I think it should be 7.5khz personally.
At power off, the unit should save the last used position. I think this is OK in manual mode, but in automatic mode, it defaults back.
Possibly some signal overload. I was hearing 15MHz WWV about 50khz up and down.

Anyone else hearing RFI when tuning the dial? I'm pretty sure I'm hearing RFI clicks with every 1khz step. It's not major -- just annoying.

I would love it if MODE just changed mode and that was it. No having to use the right/left buttons.

PS. This is all when using the Wellbrook Loop + Clifton Labs High Pass filter.
I've had no issues with the feet, good and level. The default filter for AM is a bit wide, I agree but changing it was not an issue. Mine is saving last position.

I think the unit does overload. A manual gain is needed (I mentioned this to Don). I got the clicks, I haven't been annoyed by it. I like your mode idea, would take away and unneeded step.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Anyone test the CR-1's VHF and UHF performance?

That should be easy. A foot or so of wire inserted in the CR-1 antenna input and the same thing with another radio. Separate them by a few wavelengths to reduce interaction of the two antennas (maybe 8-10 feet) and you have a somewhat decent comparison test. Even indoors.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
The firmware upgrade which was mentioned earlier in the thread addresses, among other things, the issue of display freeze. I've worked with the upgraded CR-1 for probably 8 hours without so much as a hiccup! I think that problem is solved. Anticipate the upgrade and follow the straight forward instructions, read them twice, and your problems will be gone!
Bob, should we submit feedback on the CR-1 to any special email address or are you taking our comments and forwarding them on?

Perhaps you can ask the RR mods to create a manufacturer-specific forum so we can place our comments/feedback?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Bob, should we submit feedback on the CR-1 to any special email address or are you taking our comments and forwarding them on?

Perhaps you can ask the RR mods to create a manufacturer-specific forum so we can place our comments/feedback?
I think Don is following this thread.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0OD View Post

That should be easy. A foot or so of wire inserted in the CR-1 antenna input and the same thing with another radio. Separate them by a few wavelengths to reduce interaction of the two antennas (maybe 8-10 feet) and you have a somewhat decent comparison test. Even indoors.
I will try later today. The VHF/UHF feature was barely noticed by me as I have plenty of other radios to do that, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink VHF/UHF what no DMR, P25, TDMA Phase II, D-STAR...lol

I am waiting to see how many complaints I start seeing about the fact that since radio covers V/UHF why no trunking and all that other mess. I am waiting..I really expect this to happen....
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe Don and his staff are monitoring this forum. I am forwarding to them anything 'novel' which gets reported. Things like the 'display-freeze', and several other nits have been fixed by the upcoming maintenance firmware update. As far as trunking, digital modes reception (e.g. P25), Amateur TV, closed circuit (security) video feeds, and other what I will call scanner functions are concerned, pretty much ANYTHING can be done with ANY box if the manufacturer has the desire. Typical scanners do not cover the HF bands. If they do, they're usually pretty lousy down that low. My ICOM IC-R20 is a wide range receiver which goes this low, but is much better in the VHF/UHF area. I believe the design intent with the CR-1 is (1) make an excellent, reasonably priced HF receiver which can be used by an amateur radio operator as a primary receiver and by an SWL enthusiast as an excellent general purpose receiver (2) provide VHF/UHF coverage and demodulation capabilities within the design constraints of the hardware (3) provide below 500kHz capabilities within the design constraints of the receiver (4) enhance the functionality of the CR-1 by firmware upgrades which may include demodulation of common amateur protocols (e.g. PSK-31, perhaps Morse, perhaps RTTY, etc.) (5) be responsive to the marketplace and the purchasers of the CR-1 with respect to their needs and what directions they would like to see the product evolve.

I don't think competing with Uniden and other pure scanner manufacturers is a design goal. They have a tough enough nut to crack in that arena, and you don't see them trying to expand to the HF/LF market. I know Uniden did have a wide range product a while ago, but the HF capabilities were not worth complaing about. I have a couple of scanners that work just fine, and don't need another. I'll be thrilled to have an excellent HF receiver, along with a bucket full of 'extra capabilities'. That's just my opinion. And with respect to design goals, I'm not speaking for CommRadio, just giving you my opinion of how I see things.
Old 03-06-2013, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I'll be thrilled to have an excellent HF receiver, along with a bucket full of 'extra capabilities'. That's just my opinion. And with respect to design goals, I'm not speaking for CommRadio, just giving you my opinion of how I see things.
I feel exactly the same way. For what this unit does it does very well with just little nitpicks that will be fixed at some time. I really like this little radio and knowing that it will only get better is just an added bonus.
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2013, 3:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

General Info - I believe the S-Meter reading issues have been resolved also. Apparently the signal strength was being looked at prior to filtering the signal rather than after. The good news is that this is fixable with a firmware upgrade also. Stay tuned for availability.
Old 03-06-2013, 4:33 PM

Default Operational issues and performance

Some items noted:

1. "Ticks" being heard while tuning
2. Mute during power up and power off to prevent a "thump" in the headphones
3. Numeric volume display ex.: db-99 through db 0
4. Increase the delay for exiting the menu if nothing is being performed
5. Images are being heard but the image is inconsistent 50kHz or 70kHz
6. Ringing with 7.5kHz when in AM BCB.

Is there a factory reset function?

Be careful with the case screws at manufacture/installing the battery, small burrs are being created on the screws.

Change in operation suggestions:

Tuning knob:

1. Press the "Band" (or Mode) button
2. Highlight the "Band" (or Mode) button
3. Use the tuning knob to select the band (or mode)
4. Press in the tuning knob to confirm band selection and return to tuning

Otherwise, tuning as before.

Menu/Volume knob:

1. Press in Menu knob to select Menu (display a list of items, two columns: Category - setting that can be scrolled)
2. Turn Menu knob to scroll and highlight menu category (Bandwidth, for example)
3. Press in Menu knob to confirm menu category (Bandwidth, for example)
4. Turn Menu knob to highlight category item (5kHz, for example) and have the change happen at the same time.
5. Press in Menu knob to confirm category item and exit item and return to category
6. Turn Menu knob to scroll and highlight menu category, if desired.
7. Long Press to save changes (display "Saving Changes") and exit Menu.

Otherwise On/Off/Volume as before.

These changes to the operation would eliminate the need to use the < or > buttons and those buttons could be reassigned for a user specified function within the menu (switch between antennas or filters, for example).

Is there a possibility of a "hybrid" type band that combines both Amateur and Broadcast/Shortwave? Rather than just one or the other?

Last edited by NRD-505; 03-06-2013 at 4:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2013, 6:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Just did the firmware upgrade. It works fine.

Note if you use Outlook for your email client, you may have to "unblock" the MSI file that was sent.
Old 03-06-2013, 6:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Heard my first 11175khz EAM on the CR-1. Life is complete now.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0OD View Post

Well NOAA is coming in very good with just the telescopic whip; however, I'm getting severe "clicks" and "static" when tuning. It's much worse than in SSB mode. There's actually a click heard even while not tuning.

The volume is very loud in VHF mode. Would be nice if it was stronger in SSB mode.
Old 03-07-2013, 2:09 AM

Does the battery charge if the CR-1 is plugged in via AC adapter AND turned off? Or, must the radio be on to enable battery charging?

Applied the update -- so far not a single lockup!
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2013, 7:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe the battery will charge from either the USB port or the power port regardless of the state of the ON/OFF switch. Charging via USB will generally be slower than the power port and 'more slower' for either port if the unit is powered ON during charging. USB has a current limitation on a per port basis. Power into the power port will be dependent upon the power limitations of your 'wall-wart' or the external power supply of your choice.

Hey, I was just thinking about my posting from a short while ago regarding adding a second battery to the CR-1 to get longer battery life, and my suggestion to snake a wire out a hole to an external battery pack. You don't need to do that at all! The DC power in port is the perfect place to plug in your external battery pack - mototcycle battery, solar panel, fuel cell, hamster powered generator, etc. No Muss, No Fuss!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

I just got my CR-1 this morning. It was shipped March 1st. I got the optional battery.

I have a 8AH battery pack with an USB power output that I want to try.

Big disappointment when I unboxed was all four screws on the right side upper case half were missing. An issue with production QA.

73 Eric
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Eric-

Please check the packing material in the box, my guess is they fell out. Please let me know what you find.

Bob
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Eric-

Please check the packing material in the box, my guess is they fell out. Please let me know what you find.

Bob
Hello,

No loose screws in the box. I wonder if they were removed to put the battery in and not reinstalled.

73 Eric
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Eric-

To install the battery only involves removal of the bottom half of the case. I've got an e-mail in to CommRadion to see what we can do to resolve to your satisfaction. The CR-1 is structurally 'happy' without those screws, since the top and bottom case halves are secured by screws on the top and bottom as well as those on the sides, but I do agree with you, it ain't supposed to be that way. Somebody goofed!

Bob

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky