RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Only on strong AM signals. None on SSB or CW.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 2:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you. That's good news. Firmware upgrade in process to fix.
Old 03-11-2013, 4:27 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

I tried out the 7.2 volt 200mA solar panel over the weekend and it was marginal. It worked okay in full sun, but the receiver kept switching between internal battery and external power when it started to get slightly cloudy. I suspect it is due to the panel output voltage dropping below the 6 volt input voltage lower limit. I am thinking of trying another panel in series.

Case screws were sent to me overnight, but I was not in the office Friday due to the weather. I got them today and installed them. One of the Digital Hardware Engineers at the office really like the radio because of the size, low power, internal battery, and OLED display. He is not a ham or SWL, but does keep track of display technology. He also likes things made in USA.

73 Eric
Old 03-11-2013, 4:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
Thank you. That's good news. Firmware upgrade in process to fix.
Good to hear. I do like the CR-1 a lot. To know there will be firmware fixes for the low audio output, S-Meter and image issues makes me more confident that I made a good choice.
Old 03-11-2013, 6:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Firmware upgrade in process to fix.
This is good news, it is good that the RF issues are getting prompt attention. Is there documentation for the receiver, such as an instruction/operations manual that comes with it? This unique little radio appears to have alot of potential, and I think it holds the record for low power consumption in a modern communications receiver.

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 8:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As of today, no manual. There are three videos which explain a lot, you will find answers here and if you don't find what you're looking for, please feel free to ask. We all can help with anything which is not either obvious or expected. I am part of the beta test team, and try to drop hints when I can also... The more you use the radio, the more you'll love it as the kinks get worked out.
Old 03-12-2013, 9:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Initial Performance of CR-1 Receiver

Initial Performance of CR-1 Receiver

HF range -

With no antenna connected the S-meter indication was hovering at S8. Significant amount of white noise heard in AM mode, SSB and CW much quieter.

Connecting it to even a modest HF antenna (such as my ~20 ft roof vertical with radials) causes the receiver background noise to *quiet* and S-meter reading to rise even higher, even with no signal on the tuned frequency. Larger HF antennas only make the effect worse. The receiver seems to be responding to big signals elsewhere in the spectrum, reducing the gain. Passing the antenna through an antenna tuner pre-adjusted for the desired band did not improve the situation. Normally when you connect a receiver to a decent antenna you can hear an increase in background noise, not a reduction.

We have several AM broadcast sites within a few miles that I thought might be causing the receiver to choke, but I did not see any change as these stations went to their nighttime power levels and antenna patterns. I also took the receiver home to put it into a different RF environment - no difference except for the variation with different antennas. Even 20 ft of wire inside the house seemed to cause the reduction in gain.

Interestingly, while monitoring empty frequencies at times I could hear the background noise rev up and down as thought the AGC were responding to a fading signal somewhere else in the spectrum.

Automatic Gain Control action seems to be in gain-steps rather than a smooth adjustment. Sometimes clicks are heard as the AGC adjusts for a fading signal.

VHF and UHF ranges -

With a 19" telescopic whip the receiver heard almost nothing except noisy reception of the local NOAA weather station (which is a big signal here heard full-quieting on any receiver with even a short rubber-duck antenna). Switching to an outside VHF/UHF gain vertical allowed the weather station to be heard full-quieting . My repeater on 147.18 MHz which is full-scale on all ham transceivers at a range of about 8 miles was about 20% quieting on the CR-1. In all cases the audio from FM mode was very distorted on peaks, unlistenable.

Checks on service monitor

3-30 MHz minimum-discernable signal varied from about 3-8 uV.
147 MHz minimum-discernable signal 110 uV.
162 MHz minimum-discernable signal 50 uV.
224 MHz minimum-discernable signal 10 uV.
446 MHz minimum-discernable signal 30 uV.

In FM mode, the receiver audio output suddenly becomes extremely distorted as modulation deviation was advanced beyond 3 kHz. That explains the awful distortion heard on FM mode signals.

Unfortunately I must say I am quite disappointed in the CR-1 so far.

Steve

WD8DAS Home Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Radio is your best entertainment value.
Old 03-13-2013, 2:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Sensitivity and Other Issues

I have had similar results in sensitivity in all the bands, some worse than others. I have also noticed while listening to the AM Broadcast Band I stumbled on a very strong station/signal on 750khz. The transmission was from Havana Cuba. I found the same show on 6.010khz on my ham radio transceiver as well as the CR-1 at approximately 06:45 UTC, but did not find the transmission on 750khz on the ham transceiver. I was using approximately 20 feet of wire going out my window for the CR-1. There are no powerful AM stations anywhere close to my location. The volume and sensitivity problems are probably bothering me the most. Besides what all has already been discussed the radio seems to be very sturdy and well thought out.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjohnston View Post
Initial Performance of CR-1 Receiver

HF range -

With no antenna connected the S-meter indication was hovering at S8. Significant amount of white noise heard in AM mode, SSB and CW much quieter.

Connecting it to even a modest HF antenna (such as my ~20 ft roof vertical with radials) causes the receiver background noise to *quiet* and S-meter reading to rise even higher, even with no signal on the tuned frequency. Larger HF antennas only make the effect worse. The receiver seems to be responding to big signals elsewhere in the spectrum, reducing the gain. Passing the antenna through an antenna tuner pre-adjusted for the desired band did not improve the situation. Normally when you connect a receiver to a decent antenna you can hear an increase in background noise, not a reduction.

We have several AM broadcast sites within a few miles that I thought might be causing the receiver to choke, but I did not see any change as these stations went to their nighttime power levels and antenna patterns. I also took the receiver home to put it into a different RF environment - no difference except for the variation with different antennas. Even 20 ft of wire inside the house seemed to cause the reduction in gain.

Interestingly, while monitoring empty frequencies at times I could hear the background noise rev up and down as thought the AGC were responding to a fading signal somewhere else in the spectrum.

Automatic Gain Control action seems to be in gain-steps rather than a smooth adjustment. Sometimes clicks are heard as the AGC adjusts for a fading signal.

VHF and UHF ranges -

With a 19" telescopic whip the receiver heard almost nothing except noisy reception of the local NOAA weather station (which is a big signal here heard full-quieting on any receiver with even a short rubber-duck antenna). Switching to an outside VHF/UHF gain vertical allowed the weather station to be heard full-quieting . My repeater on 147.18 MHz which is full-scale on all ham transceivers at a range of about 8 miles was about 20% quieting on the CR-1. In all cases the audio from FM mode was very distorted on peaks, unlistenable.

Checks on service monitor

3-30 MHz minimum-discernable signal varied from about 3-8 uV.
147 MHz minimum-discernable signal 110 uV.
162 MHz minimum-discernable signal 50 uV.
224 MHz minimum-discernable signal 10 uV.
446 MHz minimum-discernable signal 30 uV.

In FM mode, the receiver audio output suddenly becomes extremely distorted as modulation deviation was advanced beyond 3 kHz. That explains the awful distortion heard on FM mode signals.

Unfortunately I must say I am quite disappointed in the CR-1 so far.

Steve

WD8DAS Home Page
Radio is your best entertainment value.

Last edited by KJ5QY; 03-13-2013 at 2:27 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default To Rick & Steve

As members of RR and specifically this forum, you undoubtedly were following the trials and tribulations of the CR-1 prior to purchasing it. Following the forum you see where numerous problems were identified and fixed with software upgrades. Your disappointment is warranted if you had expected all of our observations of known deficiencies to be mistakes on our part. As an early adopter, as all of us new CR-1 owners are, and having knowledge of other postings, I commend you for making the decision to 'step up to the plate'. I feel the decision to be the right one knowing the dedication of the CR-1 developers, and have complete faith that the problems such as you describe will be resolved in a timely fashion. I trust that your observations will be taken objectively by the CommRadio team and will be used as additional motivation to provide a timely upgrade.

Last night, I found myself in my motel room with an inoperative internet connection. I threw about 20 ft of wire out the window, slipped on my headphones and proceeded to have a grand time listening to 80m and 20m CW! As the bugs are hammered out, I will explore other modes and frequencies. But for right now, to have an HF radio that I can literally drop into my briefcase and carry along with me was worth the price of admission. As it's performance improves, I'll only get happier!

And if you're truly dissatisfied, CommRadio offers a 30 day return policy. I know I'm keeping mine, lucky number 0013.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

I am loving mine. Little quirks, yes. But there is no such thing as a perfect radio. This one is going to constantly be perfected. This could end up being the radio that becomes the closest to perfect and after some tweaks and added features.

This little radio is great and love it for what it can do, for what it can't I got the R75. I do however find myself using the R75 very little if that says anything.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I know I'm keeping mine, lucky number 0013.
x2 = 0026 !

I went into this knowing the CR-1 is vastly different from any type of radio that proceeded it.

Crystal -> Vacuum Tube -> Solid State -> Synthesized -> DSP -> SDR

Each type had its hiccups and failures (and success) within the type.

I would be interested in knowing the theoretical limits of the CR-1 performance given the hardware. Is processor power or available memory a limitation that could be encountered soon?

For now I would view the CR-1 as software catching up to the hardware. Not great (for now) but still fun to use for HF. Would that be a fair assessment?

Would it be possible for the software to be open source one day for intrepid owners to carry on with development after end-of-life?
Old 03-14-2013, 2:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
But there is no such thing as a perfect radio.
Pfft, you obviously haven't used a Perseus SDR.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
I may have to get me one .
Old 03-14-2013, 2:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Even better, instead of the Perseus, get a QS1R. I have both and much prefer the QS1R.
Old 03-14-2013, 7:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

WB2KTG wrote:

>As members of RR and specifically this forum, you undoubtedly were following the trials
>and tribulations of the CR-1 prior to purchasing it. Following the forum you see where
>numerous problems were identified and fixed with software upgrades. Your disappointment
>is warranted if you had expected all of our observations of known deficiencies to be mistakes on our part.

You assume far too much. I relied upon the CommRadio website for my information about the CR-1. I was not a member of this forum until *after* I purchased the receiver.

My disappointment is warranted if I feel disappointed - period! If my expectations, based upon the statements of performance and specifications posted on the "store" website - are not met, then I am disappointed. I'm afraid you don't get to tell me whether or not my feelings are warranted or no..

Perhaps CommRadio will make my CR-1 perform as a communications receiver. I hope so, and expect so, or I will be returning it. And I am optimistic at this point - I think the issues can be addressed. Your defensive reaction is what seems unwarranted - not my opinion of my experience so far.

Steve
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2013, 9:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FENU YouTube First impressions demo

Found this this evening.....Enjoy.....Good demo....CommRadio CR-1 First Impressions by Fenu-Radio Vol.1 - YouTube!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM

Or staying with the battery operated portable flavor of the CR-1, why not an Elecraft KX3? They have no bugs and performance is through the roof!
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday51 View Post
Even better, instead of the Perseus, get a QS1R. I have both and much prefer the QS1R.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 AM

I wonder if there will be a weekly "e-mail/newsletter" from CommRadio?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Or staying with the battery operated portable flavor of the CR-1, why not an Elecraft KX3? They have no bugs and performance is through the roof!
prcguy
I suppose Elecraft could make a (theoretical) KR3 without transmitter.
Old 03-15-2013, 8:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

sbjohnston-

Thank you for your response. Point taken. However, as my comments were addressed to those who HAD been following the CR-1's progress via RR, they didn't apply to you. Nuff said. I truly hope your experiences with the CR-1 and CommRadio are positive and that you'll continue to visit RR and provide your comments and views to our community.

V/R,

Bob

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky