RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 9:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NRD-505

I like that idea! Let me see what I can do.

Bob
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Its a nice looking little receiver. However, I think I am going to hold off on a purchasing decision if/when some of the bugs are worked out. I like the basic idea, but I gotta wonder if it is all going to eventually come together into a decent usable receiver.

john
Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjohnston View Post
WB2KTG wrote:

>As members of RR and specifically this forum, you undoubtedly were following the trials
>and tribulations of the CR-1 prior to purchasing it. Following the forum you see where
>numerous problems were identified and fixed with software upgrades. Your disappointment
>is warranted if you had expected all of our observations of known deficiencies to be mistakes on our part.

You assume far too much. I relied upon the CommRadio website for my information about the CR-1. I was not a member of this forum until *after* I purchased the receiver.

My disappointment is warranted if I feel disappointed - period! If my expectations, based upon the statements of performance and specifications posted on the "store" website - are not met, then I am disappointed. I'm afraid you don't get to tell me whether or not my feelings are warranted or no..

Perhaps CommRadio will make my CR-1 perform as a communications receiver. I hope so, and expect so, or I will be returning it. And I am optimistic at this point - I think the issues can be addressed. Your defensive reaction is what seems unwarranted - not my opinion of my experience so far.

Steve
Steve,
  • First, unless you have an aversion to using the tools at hand, and relalizing that you are new person, please use the <Quote> button/function of the forum instead of making your own version, as a community we will appreciate it.
  • Next, this was your second post here and although you may have felt Bob was dismissing your concerns, had you actually read through the entire thread, before your initial post it would seem inconceivable that you would not have seen the previous concerns mentioned and addressed. It would appear that you did not before your first post and only that would explain your aggressive response (quoted above) to Bob for his response. I am sure, he assumed that you read the entire thread before your initial post, as we all assume people don't post to a thread without reading it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
sbjohnston-

Thank you for your response. Point taken. However, as my comments were addressed to those who HAD been following the CR-1's progress via RR, they didn't apply to you. Nuff said. I truly hope your experiences with the CR-1 and CommRadio are positive and that you'll continue to visit RR and provide your comments and views to our community.

V/R,

Bob
Bob, to be fair and to somewhat mitigate what I said above, you did address your response to Steve and Rick (KJ5QY), so it is somewhat confusing when you claim you weren't.

==========

To the rest of the folks following this topic, I am going to stick this thread so it will stay at the top of the forum (although it apparently is doing a fair job of staying there on it's own right now ) since the manufacturer is following the topic. Once it seems that the initial roll out problems are being settled I will unstick the thread. This is what we do in the more popular scanner MFG forums when a new device or firmware update is announced/released and I think this specific radio is attracting plenty of the same sort of attention.

Please, lets keep the thread clear of side issues or personality conflicts. I am pretty sure most of you are aware that we like to keep threads on topic, so hopefully with this caution this tread can stay on topic.
Old 03-15-2013, 1:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am glad you did stick this post,cause i just came across this product,and it sure got my interest enough to put my order in,and i can't wait til it arrives. Thanks RR,and CommRadio.
Old 03-15-2013, 1:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Weekly Newsletter from CommRadio

Just got the good word from Don Moore, chief engineer and owner of CommRadio. We will be posting a weekly newsletter / data blast on this RR forum. My best estimate is sometime each Friday or Saturday.

Thank you NRD-505 for the excellent suggestion!

Bob
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 2:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
had you actually read through the entire thread, before your initial post it would seem inconceivable that you would not have seen the previous concerns mentioned and addressed. It would appear that you did not before your first post and only that would explain your aggressive response (quoted above) to Bob for his response.
I'm sorry for posting a message describing my experiences with the CR-1. After I bought the receiver I did a google search to find a place to discuss it. I read the material already posted, but thought my tests might be helpful as it applied to a just-shipped receiver. I did not know that the forum did not welcome further input regarding issues that had already been brought up once before.

Steve WD8DAS

WD8DAS Home Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Radio is your best entertainment value.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-15-2013, 3:32 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjohnston View Post
... I did not know that the forum did not welcome further input regarding issues that had already been brought up once before. ...
I don't believe anyone claimed that; however, to ease your communication I just jumped your account off of moderation, now there will be no delay on any useful data you want to pass on.
Old 03-15-2013, 3:47 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

Since this receiver is a small low power device with a option for a battery, there are two things missing...

1. A case for the receiver. A custom made one would be nice, but it is okay if something else fits.

2. A lock for power. It seems every time I move the receiver or put it it in a bag I manage to power up the receiver while transporting. This occurs even when I make sure the power knob is not near anything. I could make something out of thin plastic to put between the knob and the front panel, but I am afraid it would wear the printing. An alternative to a mechanical lock would be a switch to prevent the battery from powering the radio.

73 Eric
Old 03-15-2013, 4:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Eric-

When I received mine, it had a short piece of plastic coated wire wrapped under the knob with one twist. It did the trick during shipping and I don't think it would cause wear to the front panel if done carefully. That might be something to consider as an interim fix until a better solution is found. A more aggressive solution could be a sheet of thin insulating material with a conductive layer on both sides. This could be slipped between one end of the battery and the holder, with a pair of wires going out to a slide or toggle switch of some type. That external switch could be the master on/off. Going further afield, you could use an allen wrench and remove the knob, placing a thick plastic washer on the shaft before re-installing the knob. You would then have to reverse the process to use the radio.

Looking a bit deeper, a software fix could be configured such that the ON/OFF switch would need to be pressed at the same time one of the small front panel switches would be pressed. Those small panel switches are well protected from accidental activation by the large adjacent tuning knob.

All sorts of possibilities!

Bob
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 6:34 PM

The piece of wire was present on mine also. It did its job!

I can imagine something like the flat plastic clips used to secure the end of a loaf of bread -- open on one end and a bit longer on the other to allow for easy removal.
Attached Images

Last edited by NRD-505; 03-15-2013 at 6:38 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 7:25 PM

Default Volume Control

Just applied the 3/15 update.

Anyone having issues with audio tracking at certain volume settings with stereo headphones?

PIC 1605 / DSP 1618

I assume a mono headphone would be the workaround. Any other ideas?

The signal strength reading seems to be working better.

UPDATE: Seems to be isolated to 5kHz filter for BCB/HF mode.

Debugging radios is sure different from the analog days!

Thanks!

Last edited by NRD-505; 03-15-2013 at 7:32 PM.. Reason: update
Old 03-15-2013, 7:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There was an update? Haven't gotten notification yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD-505 View Post

Anyone having issues with audio tracking at certain volume settings with stereo headphones?

PIC 1605 / DSP 1618

Thanks!
There was an update? I haven't received notification of one yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 8:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD-505 View Post

PIC 1605 / DSP 1618

Thanks!
I'm getting some weird AGC pumping issues in USB mode. The volume level is constantly changing... (I'm hearing this on 11.282 USB.) It doesn't matter the signal strength... though it's easier to hear on a weak signal.

The S-meter looks a bit better -- definitely more accurate. It's matching my Perseus's S-meter.

Don't seem to have the image issues any more.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey5313 View Post
There was an update? I haven't received notification of one yet.
There is an update and it's a pleasant surprise.

The fixes:

a. S-Meter redesigned
b. filter band-widths for various modes (AM, NBFM, SSB, CW, WBFM) were optimized for consistent audio.
c. 100 kHz filter replaced with 25 kHz filter.
d. 70 and 200 kHz images removed. Ghost stations being reported should ‘disappear’.
e. The NBFM algorithm was improved for +- 5 kHz frequency deviation.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just did the update to mine (#0056), and here's what I see so far. S meter seems to be working now. I often listen to CFRX on 6070, and there is a religious blaster on 6090. Now the S meter reads +30 on the blaster but s7 on CFRX. Unfortunately, the radio is still desensing, because I can barely get any volume out of CFRX, while tuning in to the blaster, uh, blasts.
I am also having the muting problem mentioned elsewhere, and yes, it seems confined to the 5khz filter. The volume just cuts out on alternate "clicks" of the volume control, like if it were a bad pot. This is on the speaker; I haven't tried it with headphones.
VHF may be better, but not by much. Still distortion and clicking on my local NOAA weather stations.
Another thing I've noticed (which may not be related to the upgrade) is that the CR1 doesn't play nicely with others; I had my little Sony SW20 nearby and when the CR1 booted, the Sony went nuts. Mostly on the higher SW bands, say 31m and higher, but it's significant up to 10' away from the CR1. And, in some places on the dial, I can hear the audio of whatever the CR1 is tuned to.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Don't seem to have the image issues any more.
Those seem to be gone (I guess) or are they moved around?

I had a strong local on 590kHz that was stomping on a regional 660kHz. The image of 590kHz is gone and 660kHz is now heard. Great work!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't seen any more images either.
I am listening to New York ATC on 5550khz, and the radio is working very well; quiet background, punchy audio (and plenty of it). It's mostly the crowded bands where I have problems. I do notice that there is some distortion when the AGC first responds to the very strong ATC signal, after it's wide open for the aircraft transmission. Still, a most pleasant radio for this kind of listening.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was tuning around on VHF air and couldn't get a thing. My very old Bearcat 100XLT scanner was full of signals. I turned the CR1 off to post a note to the forum and just happened to turn it back on again a minute later. Now it is working fine! What's that all about?
Old 03-16-2013, 1:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Could someone pass along the instructions for loading the software update into the CR-1? I received the March 15 release but I guess the instructions were included with an earlier release that happened just before I bought my unit.

Thank you!

Steve WD8DAS

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky