The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (http://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Software Defined Radio (http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/)
-   -   New SDR CommRadio CR-1 (http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/256366-new-sdr-commradio-cr-1-a.html)

corbintechboy 05-10-2013 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docrock (Post 1967257)
As the saying goes different strokes for different folks, my point is why not try and appeal to the widest audience out there. I'm one of those guys who likes to listen to a wide variety of things, Although a licensed HAM, I enjoy the VHF public service stuff, police, fire,etc. every bit as much if not more. Some days I might want to listen to international broadcasts on shortwave. For years if you wanted a good quality wide frequency receiver you needed to spend thousands. With the advent of SDR I think this can be done, but at a much more affordable price point, thus opening these capabilities to a larger target audience. It would be nice to have one radio be able to listen to everything that is out there and not have to switch between two or three devices to "have it all". Winradio's wr-g305e comes about as close to this ideal as I have seen, good at HF, good at VHF ,good at scanning, and will probably be my next purchase. If the folks that developed the Comm-1 could put out a competing package, a radio that does it all good (if not somethings great),maybe has limited capabilities in portable mode but expands to full capabilities in computer mode, then I know I would be interested and I think thousands of others as well. The wr-g305e package with all the decoders and demodulators to be able to hear everything there is to hear would be in the $1000 range. Could a radio in a Comm-1 type package be developed and compete at this price point? If so I think it would be a hit.

As I said, I agree with some points.

I turned on my scanner the other day and heard about 1 broadcast every hour. Used to be an interest and now I pretty much care less. I would rather see this radio in its current form get it right. Extended coverage is worthless when there is nothing there to hear. Your neck of the woods may be a different story but here with everything going NXDN the extra coverage is just pointless, along with the extra cost.

WA2E 05-10-2013 2:31 PM

Well, I've read all 22 pages thus far. Watched all the videos. I love this radio even though I don't have one yet. I'll have to sell off some gear first but definitely in my future. Sometimes I wonder why I have transceivers since 99% of the time I listen, I've never been a big talker. Just realized I'll have to keep one transceiver for digital modes.

To me the VHF/UHF is just gravy. I don't really see it geared to Ham bands and I'm wondering what I would listen to portable up to 2ghz w/o great antennas. No disrespect meant just wondering.

Mike

docrock 05-10-2013 2:41 PM

I hear where you are coming from, scanner bands very active where I live, something to listen to every few seconds, this may change as particularly law enforcement goes with encrypted digital modes, but hasn't happened around here yet.

corbintechboy 05-10-2013 7:03 PM

I started a review for this radio if anyone is interested in contributing:

COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER Product Reviews

faraday51 05-11-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbintechboy (Post 1967441)
I started a review for this radio if anyone is interested in contributing:

I am not sure I would have rated it 5/5 for all the problems/bugs it has currently. I would have rated it lower, such as needs improvement, and then revisited my review later when those issues are fixed. Giving a glowing review of a product that is not really ready yet does not do potential customers any favors.

corbintechboy 05-12-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faraday51 (Post 1967766)
I am not sure I would have rated it 5/5 for all the problems/bugs it has currently. I would have rated it lower, such as needs improvement, and then revisited my review later when those issues are fixed. Giving a glowing review of a product that is not really ready yet does not do potential customers any favors.

Well it has worked for me. Yes there are some things I would like to see, yes I feel there are some improvements that need done. But all in all it does do what it is advertised to do and in my comparisons it has held its own. I don't see any show stoppers with this radio that would give me any reason not to give it a 5 out of 5.

It has a battery that works, check. It picks up the HF frequencies it claims to, check. It is portable, check. Really, what exactly is the problem that makes this radio deserve anything less then a fair rating? Oh, and now it is starting to decode CW. I didn't buy that! Thanks Don for the hard work and adding to this rig and making it stand out from the crowd.

I happen to see the value in this rig... Any questions?

faraday51 05-12-2013 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbintechboy (Post 1968286)
Well it has worked for me. Yes there are some things I would like to see, yes I feel there are some improvements that need done. But all in all it does do what it is advertised to do and in my comparisons it has held its own. I don't see any show stoppers with this radio that would give me any reason not to give it a 5 out of 5.

It has a battery that works, check. It picks up the HF frequencies it claims to, check. It is portable, check. Really, what exactly is the problem that makes this radio deserve anything less then a fair rating? Oh, and now it is starting to decode CW. I didn't buy that! Thanks Don for the hard work and adding to this rig and making it stand out from the crowd.

I happen to see the value in this rig... Any questions?

Good enough! I am still thinking of getting one once some more of the issues are worked out.

K0OD 05-13-2013 10:35 AM

>>> faraday51 said: "Giving a glowing review of a product that is not really ready yet does not do potential customers any favors."

Absolutely! That 5/5 rating is a disservice for a costly receiver that performs more like a flaky beta version. Some beginners rely on those mostly worthless EHam reviews for buying decisions.

Corbintechboy, you should have pointed out that you're not a ham so you haven't used a CR-1 in anything like a proper environment for stressing a $500 receiver. Supposedly the CR-1 targets the listener AND ham markets. So how does it perform in a daunting high RF environment which is what Rob Sherwood emulates for his respected tests: Receiver Test Data His results are sorted by 3rd order narrow dynamic range.

Iím still waiting for an experienced ham, preferably an engineer or similar, to subject a CR-1 to a weekend of contesting. Anyone want to take a CR-1 on a multi-op Field Day next month? I suspect your actual opinion appears in this sentence from your review: ďVery happy with my purchase though at times I wish for more and regret my purchase

Yep, the CR-1 might turn into something good. But itís not there yet judging by user comments and YT videos Iíve seen.

Jeff K0OD

corbintechboy 05-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K0OD (Post 1968761)
>>> faraday51 said: "Giving a glowing review of a product that is not really ready yet does not do potential customers any favors."

Absolutely! That 5/5 rating is a disservice for a costly receiver that performs more like a flaky beta version. Some beginners rely on those mostly worthless EHam reviews for buying decisions.

Corbintechboy, you should have pointed out that you're not a ham so you haven't used a CR-1 in anything like a proper environment for stressing a $500 receiver. Supposedly the CR-1 targets the listener AND ham markets. So how does it perform in a daunting high RF environment which is what Rob Sherwood emulates for his respected tests: Receiver Test Data His results are sorted by 3rd order narrow dynamic range.

Iím still waiting for an experienced ham, preferably an engineer or similar, to subject a CR-1 to a weekend of contesting. Anyone want to take a CR-1 on a multi-op Field Day next month? I suspect your actual opinion appears in this sentence from your review: ďVery happy with my purchase though at times I wish for more and regret my purchase

Yep, the CR-1 might turn into something good. But itís not there yet judging by user comments and YT videos Iíve seen.

Jeff K0OD

Give me a break!!!!

Do you own one? And whats makes ones ears more qualified for a test? Because someone holds a license to transmit somehow makes them an expert on listening? Give me a break!

I am 38 years old and started the hobby when I was 8 with a tube radio. I speak from experience and I don't think there is any reason to believe my thoughts are less qualified because I don't hold a ticket!

Amazing!

loumaag 05-13-2013 2:53 PM

Let's Stay On Topic

In general this topic has been pretty good about staying on the subject but apparently there are always one or two people that just feel they have to stick in unnecessary comments. If anyone has any complaints about a review on some other site, then go to that site to discuss it. I don't want this topic filled with irrelevant and off topic comments.

If you have comments in relation to anything that was posted here in regard to the CR-1, fine comment away, as long as you are speaking from 1st hand knowledge or asking questions. In other words, if you have an opinion on this radio and don't own one you should qualify your comments with something like, "I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I feel that I need to say blah blah blah." However, understand that no one is really interested in an opinion of someone who doesn't have any idea what they are really saying.

NRD-505 05-13-2013 4:47 PM

Loving the new CW reader option! Is there away to adjust the threshold of when the signal is decoded?

A 300Hz filter might be nice to dig out the tougher CW -- especially in a noise plagued area like Austin, TX.

It is noted that with the configurationHF/Shortwave/USA bandplan that the switchover from general to AM radio is 522kHz (like Europe rather than USA).

I'll listen later to confirm but it sounded that there were some odd noises in the 520-540 region as if something was switching in and out -- filters... something.

I was able to use the CW reader in USB mode in HF/Amateur. Is that by design?

Thank you for the fixes and improvements!

zl2taw 05-14-2013 3:08 AM

does the CR-1 now have a cw reader ?
Is there any other modes that might be incorporated ?

NRD-505 05-14-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zl2taw (Post 1969257)
does the CR-1 now have a cw reader ?
Is there any other modes that might be incorporated ?

Yes, the CR-1 does have a CW reader. That feature was implemented with the previous firmware update.

NRD-505 05-14-2013 11:52 AM

HF/Shortwave/Automatic/USA when tuning down from 1720 to 1700 the tuning steps change from the "boxed" 5khz to the "solid" 10khz but when tuning from 1700 to 1720 the steps remain at 10khz and do not change back to the "boxed" 5kHz.

NRD-505 05-14-2013 12:01 PM

The reason for inquiring earlier about a master bug list is that we can all become "testers" -- not only looking for new bugs but revisiting old bugs to make sure bugs are not reintroduced. As the receiver becomes more complex the need for a master list of bugs and/or tests will become more critical.

In that way, we can perform both regression and non-regression testing.

WB2KTG 05-14-2013 11:23 PM

NRD-505

Keep the bug list coming the CommRadio team is maintaining a master bug list and working it down as well as adding features - like the CW reader. Don will be at Dayton on Friday, and I know they're quite busy with production and all that, so it may be quiet for a bit.

I just posted my review on eHam so everybody can polish up their Louisville Sluggers to give me a whack. Bring it on! ;-) (it may take a day for them to review it, I just wrote it, it isn't up as of right now)

stormwarn 05-15-2013 3:24 PM

Haven't posted on here in awhile. I just took the plunge and purchased the CR-1 that was on ebay. I'll be happy to write my review after I've spent time putting it through its paces.

Keep up the good work here!

73-
Gary

ka3jjz 05-15-2013 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WB2KTG (Post 1969846)
NRD-505

Keep the bug list coming the CommRadio team is maintaining a master bug list and working it down as well as adding features - like the CW reader. Don will be at Dayton on Friday, and I know they're quite busy with production and all that, so it may be quiet for a bit.

I just posted my review on eHam so everybody can polish up their Louisville Sluggers to give me a whack. Bring it on! ;-) (it may take a day for them to review it, I just wrote it, it isn't up as of right now)

And here's the link

which I will also add to the SDR wiki...Mike

pd0psb 05-16-2013 1:51 AM

QRM fighting

Hi,

What QRM fighting for the serious DXer does the CR1 currently offer?
I'm interested in:

-passband tuning
-continuous filter adjustment
-noise blanking (multiple width)
-notches (auto and manual)
-noise reduction

Does the CR1 offer these and what do users think of its performance in this field?

Tnx
Paul
PD0PSB

WB2KTG 05-16-2013 11:26 AM

PD0PSB-

No, No, No, No, and finally No. You already know that from the product website. The CR-1 is not designed to be a replacement for the receiver portion of a 'DX contest winning' transceiver. It also doesn't cost half of what a 'DX contest winning' transceiver costs. It would not be my first choice for 'serious DX', no receiver would be. A serious DX'er would use a multi-kilo$$$ transceiver.

In the world of wide range receivers we have the ICOM 9500. It believe that one has the features you're looking for, but it costs $13,299. from Universal Radio. The AOR AR6000 doesn't have your desired features and it costs $7,599 from Universal. The AOR AR Alpha-B doesn't have those features either, it's $9,949 from Universal. The AOR AR5001DB doesn't have those features but costs a mere $4,289. The ICOM R-75 at $669. doesn't have all those features either.

The CR-1 is a tiny, lightweight, extremely rugged, internally battery powered HF receiver which offers additional frequency coverage and is sized so that I can take it along with me anywhere, from the backyard to a business trip to a vacation in some out of the way place. It's also FUN to use anywhere, whereas my several big transceivers are content to sit in a rack in my home shack, keeping the cats company while I'm out some place, perhaps at the beach, listening to the CR-1.