RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 6:07 PM

Has anyone got any kind of notice of shipment today? A charged credit card? An email? Anything?

Today was supposed to be ship date and I have not got nothing and just wondering... Patience is not my strong point and I have been patient with this...
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 3:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
Has anyone got any kind of notice of shipment today? A charged credit card? An email? Anything?

Today was supposed to be ship date and I have not got nothing and just wondering... Patience is not my strong point and I have been patient with this...
Nope haven't heard anything either. I'm sure we'll know something by Monday. Perhaps WB2KTG can enlighten us...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM

I spoke to Mr. Moore, the radio has been delayed a few days to tweak some of the bandwidth filters. He expects the radio to ship early next week.
Old 02-23-2013, 3:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CR-1 Status

As a matter of fact I was communicating with the CR-1's proud father, Don Moore, about twenty minutes ago. They have 20+ units ready to ship, the only thing holding them up is finalization of the software load. The software development and product evaluation teams are working throughout the weekend getting filter responses optimized and squashing any small stray bugs which may make themselves evident during the testing. Don mentioned stuff like reducing passband ripple in the 500Hz bandpass filter, and other things like that. He did assure me that he will begin shipments next week, in the order in which the reservations were received. Being a bit of a perfectionist, Don would rather be a day or two behind shipment dates than ship a product which wouldn't fulfill his and your expectations! He said that as units are shipped, the recipients would receive an automatically generated e-mail with shipping info.

Bob
Old 02-23-2013, 4:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Thanks Bob. I got the email from Don as well. He'll get them out when it's "ready" -- which is much appreciated -- and will save us radio guys a lot of headaches down the road.

The positive point is that the CR-1 is firmware upgrade-able and unresolved issues can (hopefully) be addressed with just a simple upgrade.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 6:59 PM

Hello Bob, after three weeks what are your listening and ergonomic impressions of the CR-1 thus far? I understand that the firmware is (and may always be) in a state of flux as improvements and features are implemented, but what do you think?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wow! Way too much to say, way too little time.

Top of the mind comments-

Tuning- You select which digit you want the tuning dial to change by the little < and > buttons. Each push moves the selected digit by one place. Additionally, if you press the tuning knob, a switch activates and the selected digit will move left or right depending on the sense of knob rotation, one digit at a time. After about 10 minutes you will figure out which method works best for you, then use that method 90% of the time, but you will probably use the secondary method also. It quickly becomes intuitive.

Audio Output Level- you do not have separate RF and AF gain knobs. The RF gain ( or attenuation ) functions function automagically, and to my ear, work quite well. The audio knob controls just the output level. I'd prefer both knobs, ( cause I'm a knob guy...), but on my Racal 6790, it doesn't really use the RF gain, 'cause it's controlled automagically also.

Ergonomics- The radio is small. I've got big hands. For me, that just means I can do everything with whichever hand is 'handy'. One hand easily covers the entire front panel, and there are no finger gymnastics tests. Everything is within one or two button pushes. Don promised to have one or more instructive videos (the CR-1 101 Series?) online in a few days so you can geta feel for how intuitive it really is. The receiver is light weight. That does prove to be a bit of a bother since you might move the receiver when you push the buttons if it's sitting on a slick surface. For me, I cut a small square of shelf or drawer liner plastic material. It sits on that and doesn't move.

Power- It's powered by any computer's USB port ( < 1 W or so ), or by any garden variety DC output. Wall wart with voltage per the online data sheet. Mine is 9 VDC, from some device which long ago met it's demise. I'd recommend Don NOT ship a wall wart with each unit. I probably have in excess of 20 sitting in various boxes in the garage. Don't need one more!

MANUAL mode- one relatively recent addition to the capabilities of the receiver was MANUAL mode. That means, you set the filter bandwidth, mode ( AM, CW, etc. ) independently. That's what I normally do. However, just for quick exploration, I'll go AUTOMATIC mode and not have to figure out why stuff sounded bad ( I was trying to listen to broadcast AM with the filter BW set. To 500 Hz. Duh! )

All in all, there is a learning curve, just like any new device. It is short and painless. Use AUTOMATIC mode to get started, then go MANUAL after you've mastered changing step sizes. Remember to put your antenna on the right terminal on the rear, remember while spinning the tuning knob not to press at the same time, or you'll go into digit select mode.

I'll provide further thoughts later on.

Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 1:26 PM

Thank you very much for the response! Having manual BW selection regardless of receiving mode is very nice.

I hope there will be a narrower SSB BW (1.8kc) to help dig out a signal but if the slopes are very steep and ultimate rejection of the 2.5kc outstanding, it will be OK.

How is the tuning "feel". Any little wobbles or detents or is it smooth as silk?
Old 02-24-2013, 2:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The filters hitch are 'finalized as of right now' are 5, 7.5, 15 and 100KHz.

The main tuning wheel is as smooth as a baby's butt! However it is not a massive flywheel knob with inertia. You turn it, it moves. You stop turning and it stops. Not like a Racal, or an old National NC-303. Having said that, the CR-1 probably weighs less than the other receiver's knobs, so I'm fine with that. Also, don't forget it is a digital receiver and does tune in finite ( I believe ) minimum 10 Hz step sizes, so the flywheel inertia effect becomes somewhat irrelevant, IMHO.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2013, 3:06 PM

Thanks again!

Have the bandwidths changed? The published filters were: "Auto-Filter Width select with override: AM: 6 and 7.5 kHz kHz/SSB: 2.6 kHz/CW: 1 kHz".

I don't need the "flywheel effect" but I do prefer and very smooth "micrometer feel".
Old 02-24-2013, 3:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm just reporting on the bandwidths on my CR-1 using the software build that I'm evaluating. I am not aware of any spec change. Evaluating the filtering algorithms is an iterative process with many trials, at many frequencies for various purposes. I'm just helping out a bit... :-)
Old 02-27-2013, 1:22 AM

Any word?

Some real nice pictures here (In German): Fenu Radio CR-1

Note the *box* around the selected digit. I would prefer an underline with a pixel between the digit and number. Wolfson CODEC -- nice!

One can see the layout of the radio a bit better, the front filters, for example.

Last edited by NRD-505; 02-27-2013 at 1:27 AM.. Reason: fix link
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have it from a reliable source that there will be a number of happy CR-1 owners shortly... Nuff said.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Are the feet removable? I would think the radio would be easier to store and carry if the feet were detached during transport and reattached when at location.

Was the issue with the "crooked screen" resolved?

Thank you Bob for the update!
Old 02-27-2013, 1:09 PM

Training videos are up!

Don Moore - YouTube
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013, 2:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Crooked Screen - Production and inspection processes were updated to preclude recurrence.

Feet - The feet provide clearance to allow the speaker to output freely. They can be taken off with a screwdriver and re-installed, if required. However, they are VERY heavy duty and rigid and can provide protection for the unit if you accidentally drop it. When you see how small this unit is, with the feet or without, you'll probably just leave them on. If you have a case, like a camera case or the like for carrying this unit, I've found that my insulated long wire antenna (when coiled up) fits nicely into the volume provided by the feet. So, in my case, the feet don't waste space, they provide usable volume to store the wire antenna, the right angle telescoping whip and my BNC to right angle SO-239 connector for plugging the wire into, using a banana plug thingee. For my use, it's all good as-is! Oh yeah, the wall wart I grabbed fits in there too.

Bob
Old 02-27-2013, 2:37 PM

Will the shipped CR-1's, made prior to the updated process, have a possibility of a crooked screen?
Old 02-27-2013, 2:46 PM

Bob, thanks for your testing and info so far. Am interestered in this receiver and look forward to more test reports, was caught off guard with the refrig experiment ! Well done, nice pics.
Old 02-27-2013, 3:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I do not believe any production hardware was shipped prior to the implementation of the 'screen fix'.

Testing related-

Over the weekend I had my Racal 6790 up and running with the CR-1 sitting next to it. I had the B/W set at ~5KHz if I remember correctly on both radios. The bands at my QTH were pretty dead, but using the 6790 I tuned around until I found some RTTY in the 6 MHz region. I then disconnected the antenna from the 6790 and connected to the CR-1. Basically no change in audio output except I did NOT hear the AGC pumping like I did on the 6790. (that surprised me) I did this same experiment, finding a signal on whichever receiver the antenna was connected to, then switching over to the 'other' receiver. They both tune in pretty much the same manner, set your step size then spin the knob while listening. The 6790's massive knob will spin for about 6 seconds before finally stopping. The CR-1 knob turns while turning it, but it doesn't spin freely after you stop turning. My qualatative assessment was that the CR-1 was every bit as sensitive as the 6790 when using the same BAD (Big Assed Dipole) in the back yard. Audio quality was comparable, but I did have the 6790 going into an audiophile monitor speaker pointed at my head. The CR-1 was using the down firing communications speaker on my work bench. Next time, I'll try listening using a similar speaker configuration and see what difference that makes. Too many toys, too little time...
Old 02-27-2013, 7:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually the ham bands were hot with DX with the ARRL CW contest last weekend. Many records fell. RTTY on 6 MHz is hardly a test of a receiver's performance. Ten meters was open much of the weekend for international DX. A higher frequency band such as 10 would have been a far better test. Or better yet, VHF. Listening to the monstrous pileups on 40 meter CW would have provided useful info too.

WB2KTG says: "My qualatative assessment was that the CR-1 was every bit as sensitive as the 6790 when using the same BAD (Big Assed Dipole) in the back yard."

That's an amazing leap based apparently on hearing ONE 6 MHz RTTY station, probably a government station running many KWs. If the two radios sounded the same its likely because that big dipole is a huge noise magnet so that atmospheric noise, not receiver sensitivity, would be the limiting factor. Heck, a crystal set might have copied the RTTY station too.

What is the minimum CW selectivity on the CR-1? I've heard 1 kHz or 0.5 claimed. Many potential buyers have asked about the S-meter. Can you provide some some details about it? Does it read out in S-units or in more precise measurements such as dBM? Does it read dB above S-9 ? Most SDRs can do that sort of thing which makes them useful as test instruments.

Have CR-1s been shipped to buyers yet? The delay was said to be for just a few days. The Commradio site hasn't corrected the February 22, 2013 ship date.

A lot of questions are being asked about this costly new radio from an untested maker. I don't see that many answers are being provided. The new videos add very little.

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky