RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The conditions at my QTH were not good. As I stated, after finding the 6MHz RTTY station and studying the response of both receivers, I then tuned around throughout the HF bands listening to whatever station I chose next, then swapping the antenna to the other receiver and comparing what I heard then. Perhaps I was not crystal clear on what I did. The S-Meter shows the legend 'Sx' where x is a single numeric digit. Above S9 the legend reads '+yy' where yy is 10, 20, etc.as appropriate. I, myself, would prefer to have a selectable display which would display the S-Meter data as an analog bar graph vice a digital display. I'm sure this is one of the enhancements which may be considered when an upgrade to the CR-1 functionality is fielded. I know for a fact that production shipments of the CR-1 have taken place. I do not know how many. I would rather have CommRadio working on production hardware than correcting the February 22, 2013 ship date, that's my preference, your mileage may vary. A lot of questions are being asked. The maker is not untested, just unknown to many of the viewers of the RR site. The videos provide most all of the support necessary to get the radio up, running, and fully functional. If you're looking for a Dog and Pony show, I'd suggest that little bar on the corner...
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Is it known if the S-Meter numeric display shows as an average or a peak reading? The reason for asking is that I can imagine the numbers to be a blur of digits if the signal strength is not steady.

Thank you!
Old 02-28-2013, 1:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

From my experiences, the digital display of the S-Meter shows a rather steady digit, so I'd have to presume some form of averaging is taking place. I do not have any details or insight other than my observations. That's one reason I'd prefer an analog bar graph type display, so I can get a 'feel' of the signal conditions.
Old 02-28-2013, 2:02 PM

How are the bandwidths working out? I would expect with an SDR for the slopes to be quite steep.

Are there any tone/bass/treble controls?
Old 02-28-2013, 5:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
Has anyone got any kind of notice of shipment today? A charged credit card? An email?
Yes, yes and yes.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2013, 6:01 PM

No, No, and No (but I'm hoping my e-mail is slow) ;-)
Old 03-01-2013, 8:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No tone controls on the CR-1. This is a piece of "COMMS Gear", not part of a home entertainment center (although it could fulfill that role nicely...).

FYI - One typical configuration in my shack (for all my gear including my active computers) is a Behringer XENYX 802 8 channel mixer panel, Krohn-Hite 3100 variable bandpass filter, Crown D-60 amplifier and a pair of KRK ST8 studio monitor speakers (or a pair of PSB alpha B's). For headphone use, I normally use the Crown D-60's headphone jack. I'm always fiddling with stuff, so it never stays in one configuration or another for very long. Oh yeah, I got a big honkin' box full of various patch cables for interconnecting this whole mess...
Old 03-01-2013, 9:24 AM

Thank you!

Just asking because the presence of tone controls can help with high frequency hearing loss and other hearing abnormalities.

Do you have the longwave update? If so, any thoughts on reception in that band?
Old 03-01-2013, 9:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Understood. That's why I use, and recommend the use of an external amplifier with appropriate controls and a good quality speaker. That way you can tune it where you want, how you want.

I do have the LF capability, I haven't done ANYTHING in that range as of yet. I've got the capability with the Racal as well, and my SDR-IQ, but for no good reason have never tuned down that low. I do fool around though, listened to bats with the SDR-IQ once using an ultrasonic transducer as the input device and hanging it out the family room window around dusk. Every once in a while you'd hear something...
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2013, 9:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Do you have the longwave update? If so, any thoughts on reception in that band?"

Excellent question. Some SDRs are good on LW; some are worthless. I use a Palomar VLF converter to get excellent performance below the AM BCB with my Flex-5000. Flex radios are spec'd on longwave but only with external user-supplied filtering. (a converter is probably better yet). BTW, I believe that all Flex models include two 10-band equalizers, one for transmit and one for receive.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM

My status has changed to "Awaiting Shipment"! Looks like the receiver will be on its way!
Old 03-01-2013, 1:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Enjoy. It's a Beast in a Box!
Old 03-01-2013, 5:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile CommRadio CR-1 questions/impressions

I have been following this thread, and am very interested in the CR-1. Looks to be an interesting little radio. To Bob, WB2KTG, how does the rig fare on the AM broadcast band? Especially next to strong local stations, this would give a good indication of the Dynamic Range potential of the radio. How does it compare with the Racal, and to the SDR IQ in this regard? I did read about less AGC pumping than the Racal in one instance, on Short Wave. It sounds as if the sensitivity is more than adequate. How is the Audio? What I heard in the You Tube video was crisp and clean, but would like to know if it is easy on the ear, or fatiguing after listening for a long time?

How clean is the receiver of spurious products and false noises? Can you hear ones that are not on other sets, or is it clean. Also curious as to the specs such as phase noise and close in Dynamic Range. But I guess we will need to wait for Don to publish those, or for Sherwood, ARRL, or RSGB to measure. For the price I would not expect the very top of the list, but a good mid tier showing, hopefully besting the Palstar and R-75.

I think that this little guy may have a lot of potential, if a few more bandwidth filters can be added to the ones that are already there, such as 4KHz AM, 1.8KHz SSB, and say a 1KHz and a .5KHz for CW,(I know that maybe one or both of these is there), It would really scream. Even with what is there it should be pretty good. I like the flexible software that allows the filters to be set independent of mode and dependent of mode in the auto settings. This is well thought out. In the past, this was an issue until the Drake Receivers got it right.(R-7 and R-8). Most of the Japanese rigs were dependent upon mode, unless modified. Another upgrade that would set this little guy apart would be selectable sideband synchronous detection, along with DSB sync. The beauty in this little rig is that it can be modified and updated in Software, and performance enhanced or features added with just a download.

I am really interested in this little guy, but want to be sure on the spectral purity, and strong signal handling before going for it.

Mike
Old 03-02-2013, 2:10 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA0KLQ View Post
I am really interested in this little guy, but want to be sure on the spectral purity, and strong signal handling before going for it.
Mike, the radio was *just* shipped in the last 48 hours. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear all about the specs in the next few days. I don't really have the gear to run any decent tests on it but I will provide real-world videos and samples until your heart is content.

I'll be comparing it to a Perseus SDR using a Wellbrook 1530S+ loop. (I'll also post videos of it out in the wild with nothing more than a telescopic whip.)

Feel free to PM me any ideas or tests you want to see in a video.

Last edited by nickcarr; 03-02-2013 at 2:13 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 9:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CommRadio CR-1 questions/impressions

Nick,

Thanks for the offer to provide videos, again MW close to strong locals is a good test(how much side chatter is there?) as is tuning through blank space looking for things that should not be there(birdies and spurs). A comparison with the Perseus would be very interesting. I would expect the Perseus to fare better due to the ability to set the bandwidth filter in a continuously variable fashion. I thank that with the newer technology, if implemented correctly, the performance could be right up there with many of the better radios of the past, but maybe not up to the current ones such as the Perseus, QS1R and other Newer SDRs. I currently have a QS1R which performs very well in the presence of strong signals, but it is not portable. Guess I just need to bide my time for a few days. Keep us posted when it arrives

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Mike, the radio was *just* shipped in the last 48 hours. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear all about the specs in the next few days. I don't really have the gear to run any decent tests on it but I will provide real-world videos and samples until your heart is content.

I'll be comparing it to a Perseus SDR using a Wellbrook 1530S+ loop. (I'll also post videos of it out in the wild with nothing more than a telescopic whip.)

Feel free to PM me any ideas or tests you want to see in a video.
Hey Nick, I really enjoyed your past real world videos and samples, look forward to your findings with the CR-1.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

I am in the process of reviewing the unit now. So far I am impressed and noting everything for a released review on my blog. Nothing done as of yet as I have company and doing a video right now would not be that good (noisy people lol).

I am pitting it against my R75.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Comm Radio CR 1 Test Results

Will be interested to see the results of your tests. Please let us know the address for your blog, A test against the R-75 will be a good indicator of how good this little receiver is.

Mike
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Where's your blog?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2KTG View Post
Where's your blog?
Tech and stuff

My review is now available.

Last edited by corbintechboy; 03-02-2013 at 1:12 PM..

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky