RTL over TCP for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
Hope you all could help me out here a bit...

I'm not so familiar with Linux, and while the raspi seems like a neat solution, I'm not quite up to tackling learning Linux from a command line perspective to do this.

I have a Win 7 laptop running two instances of ProScan that I'll be installing on a mountaintop in the near future. I just started playing around with the RTL stick using SDR# on another computer I have, and its uses are endless, and its so much fun.

Now I'm thinking there must be a way to set this up where I can attach an RTL stick to this Win 7 laptop and have it pass over IP, but I can't seem to find much in the way of doing this in Windows. Any ideas or links?

Also, is ethernet a necessity or will the laptop be able to pass this over an 802.11g wireless connection?

Thanks so much for your help!

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Sorry forgot to mention x64 is for 64 bits windows x32 is for 32 bits Windows

Pape

Premium Subscriber
You will need to install the rtl driver for Windows from the zadig apps.
You can find the zadig in the folder of SDR#

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
Pape (or anyone else that may know)...

I have this running on my host machine now (rtl_tcp) and I'm having issues accessing it from within my home network.

Do you have any idea how to change the default IP address that rtl_tcp will listen to from 127.0.0.1 to the static local address I have assigned to the hosting computer?

Thanks again!

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thanks. Figured out you can add parameters in Windows 7 easily by creating a short cut to the .exe and modifying the target.

Thanks again.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
couple of questions

Maybe a few more than 2!
1st, What are the commands needed to start, sdr tcp on the sdr device computer?
rtl_sdr -a XXX.XXX.X.XXX What is the IP for, the sending computer, receiving computer?

2nd, Do I have to configure my wifi router to use port 1234?

3rd, on the receiving computer, how do I start SDR#?
start SDR and select RTL_TCP and ????

I probably could figure this out in a day or two but if someone already has the answers why
not ask.

Thanks, Mil

Pape

Premium Subscriber
1. the ip address is the ip address you want the service to be listening on (127.0.0.1 is not valid ip address in this case) I do recomand you to use a static ip address much more easyer for what you want to do.

2. do you plan to provide this service outside of your network ? if no than no you don't need to do this

3. Yes, you start srd# select rtl tcp, click option or advance enter the ip address of your RTL dongle server "the same you give after the -a option) click update and click play.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Mr. Pape I got the link up sort of.
Using the default Sample Rate the water fall and spectrum freeze. When I lower the Sample Rate
the display and audio motor boat but I can never get good audio and if I lower it to much the server
shuts down. I am using ethernet and not wifi. The laptop I have the SDR connected to does not seem
to be over loaded looking at task manager. This is probably over my head and I will continue to use a
long USB cable to get my antenna signal via SDR to the other side of my house. Thanks for you reply
and I will keep looking in RR for info.

Mil

Status
Not open for further replies.