RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 2:32 PM

Now that I have had this for 2 days I would say it is the equivalent of any analog scanner, actually I think it is better than a scanner because it will let you see a chunk of spectrum and you know instanly if anyone is talking. When I first used it I didn't think that it was picking up 118 to 136 mhzs but infact it is picking them up quite nicely. I can't wait to see if it will pickup the military planes.

As for the antenna, it would have been nice to have had a little longer cord between the dongle and the base of the antenna. I am working on that one. One thing I would like to see is a plug in for Apco 25, that would make this little dongle worth it's weight in gold..
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2013, 7:16 PM

Just moved SDRSharp and Zadig into my USB drive and have it running there, works like a charm.

Moonbounce
Old 03-07-2013, 6:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post
One thing I would like to see is a plug in for Apco 25, that would make this little dongle worth it's weight in gold..
This has been done:

RTL-SDR APCO Project 25 (P25) receiver | Dangerous Prototypes

I have only read about it, haven't tried it and probably won't (P25 isn't my focus with RTLSDR). FYI only.
Old 03-11-2013, 6:49 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post
One thing I would like to see is a plug in for Apco 25, that would make this little dongle worth it's weight in gold..
Have you tried running DSD yet? It's a challenge to get the SDR# software dialed in just right to give DSD the best possible signal to work with but once you do, you will be quite pleased with how well it works.

I'd like to see a plugin also for P25 but that would be one seriously complicated plugin for SDR#. I don't even know if enough data is exposed by the plugin API to make this possible. If it is however and you're a whiz at C and C# then by all means go for it - you'll become a Scanner God for making it happen. The DSD Source code's all out there as is the source for several SDR# plugins, and if I understood it well enough I'd do it myself, but it's just too complex for me to wrap my brain around. I can write a simple trunking plug in for SDR (reminder to self - finish that this week and get it uploaded for people to use if they wish) but that's about as much C# as I feel comfortable using. Cool thing about the plugin I wrote - you only need one dongle and one instance of SDR# to trunk track! For a modern machine, this is no biggie but for my tired old computers one less instance of SDR# is the difference between a useable computer and a noisy paperweight.

If scanning ACARS (or a certain other protocol used on portable devices that doctors and drug dealers used to carry back in the day) is your thing, SDR# and PDW are perfect together. Just feed the audio to a Virtual Audio Cable and set it as the default input and PDW is a happy little camper.

There's all sorts of fun to be had with these things. You've just scratched the surface of what they can do.
-AZ
Old 03-12-2013, 5:29 PM

I used to have dsd 1.4 on my computer and then I downloaded dsd 1.6 and it ran the same as dsd 1.4. Then I installed SDR Sharp and added my 2832u r820t dongle, in the process of installing SDR I had a major computer meltdown. I had to restore my computer to an earlier time, that took out DSD 1.6 but I got SDR and my r820t up and running. Now the though occurred to me that if I had dsd 1.6 back on the computer that maybe I could get it to work with SDR. I had a copy of DSD 1.6 saved on a USB drive, but when I tried running it from the USB drive I got an error message. So I tried downloading it onto my C drive which was no problem but I still got the error message, so I decided to delete all copies of dsd and start from scratch.

First I tried downloading DSD 1.4 from Binomes original post, but that wasn't happening, all I got was "502 gateway error". So I tried downloading dsd 1.6 form Woodpecker and same results. So then I tried downloading DSD 1.4 and DSD 1.6 from Wiki and all that would do is let me run it, it wouldn't let me save it.

By the time all was said and done I ended up not being able to download either dsd version and I had lost the Zadig driver for SDR Sharp. Now I have SDR Sharp up and running and I am quitting while I am ahead. I like SDR better than DSD no more playing around form me.

Moonbounce
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2013, 7:32 PM

I had the same problem as moonbounce and found I was installing the wrong version of zadig - soon as I installed the correct version for my computer - hey, it works!
Old 04-06-2013, 6:25 AM

My "dumb question" is: what program do i use to edit the config file with?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khackee View Post
My "dumb question" is: what program do i use to edit the config file with?
You should be able to use any txt editor or Wordpad.
Rich
Old 04-08-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Have you tried running DSD yet? It's a challenge to get the SDR# software dialed in just right to give DSD the best possible signal to work with but once you do, you will be quite pleased with how well it works.

I'd like to see a plugin also for P25 but that would be one seriously complicated plugin for SDR#. I don't even know if enough data is exposed by the plugin API to make this possible. If it is however and you're a whiz at C and C# then by all means go for it - you'll become a Scanner God for making it happen. The DSD Source code's all out there as is the source for several SDR# plugins, and if I understood it well enough I'd do it myself, but it's just too complex for me to wrap my brain around. I can write a simple trunking plug in for SDR (reminder to self - finish that this week and get it uploaded for people to use if they wish) but that's about as much C# as I feel comfortable using. Cool thing about the plugin I wrote - you only need one dongle and one instance of SDR# to trunk track! For a modern machine, this is no biggie but for my tired old computers one less instance of SDR# is the difference between a useable computer and a noisy paperweight.

If scanning ACARS (or a certain other protocol used on portable devices that doctors and drug dealers
used to carry back in the day) is your thing, SDR# and PDW are perfect together. Just feed the audio to a Virtual Audio Cable and set it as the default input and PDW is a happy little camper.

There's all sorts of fun to be had with these things. You've just scratched the surface of what they can do.
-AZ
Running DSD with SDR is but a pipe dream of mine, and may remain that way
Sponsored links