SDRSharp is freezing... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

I have downloaded the latest nightly version of SDRSharp, and Zadig sees my dongle ok, I think. I have the NooElec R820T. It works ok for about a minute. Then it freezes, though the waterfall continues. It looks like this: http://imgur.com/4mO9ncr

I have a modern laptop running Windows 7. So I can't imagine that being the weak link.

Can anyone suggest something to try? Different (older?) version of the driver or software maybe? Any versions known to work with this particular radio?

also, should Zadig identify this dongle by model rather than a generic indicator? This is what it looks like if I were going to reinstall the driver:
http://imgur.com/VHSjtSB

Thanks.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Two things i can think of.

1: Make sure the sample rate under the rtl-sdr config is set to 2.048 MSPS
2: Make sure you downloaded the correct ZADIG drivers. They have 2 one for 7 and one for XP

Take a look at my settings of SDR#. If you still cant get it going. Download teamviewer @ TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings send me a PM with the USER ID & PASSWORD and i will remote into your system and fix it for you.

View attachment 42298

HIRES pic is here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ts2z6xgcaa3guz/Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

modrachlan

I appreciate the offer. Let me doublecheck my settings and I'll get back to you.

I have switched to a powered usb hub, and I think things are better, but I haven't had time to confirm that yet.

rbm

I have downloaded the latest nightly version of SDRSharp, and Zadig sees my dongle ok, I think. I have the NooElec R820T. It works ok for about a minute.
This is what it looks like if I were going to reinstall the driver:
imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks.

I've had a similar problem with the R820T dongles ever since I got them.
It only happens with my R820T tuners and NOT with my E4000 versions.
Some of them are more susceptible to it than others.
But all of my R820T's will do that at one time or another.

I find that if I disconnect the antenna with a strong signal present, it happens every time.
Or, if the antenna connector is intermittent it also happens.
I have to STOP SDR# and unplug the dongle for a few seconds, then plug it back in to get it working again.

Sometimes I can turn the RF gain down and it prevents it from happening. (I never use AGC)

Rich

By the way, it's not just the recent release that does this, I've seen it all the way back to at least Version 1110
I've stayed with Version 1114 because with the releases after that, I don't like the way clicking on a frequency in the Frequency Manager plugin works.
With later versions, you have a hard time 'predicting' where the selected frequency will appear in the display.

Last edited:

modrachlan

VERY interesting, rbm. I'm glad you shared that.

Since these are not very expensive, I may have to grab an E4000-based dongle for comparison, if I can find one that is.

I was finally able to grab some police band action last night after moving to a powered hub, playing with filters and gain, and taping the antenna to a high corner of the window. The fun lasted for about an hour and it didn't freeze during that time, thankfully.

rbm

I have a total of seven dongles. Three E4000 and four R820T.

I 'want' to like the E4000 best but I can't.
The R820T 'seems' to give me better reception in addition to the lower frequency coverage down to 24 MHz.

There isn't much I listen to above the range of the R820T so the higher frequency coverage of the E4000 doesn't offer much benefit to me.

Rich

rbm

Here's a side-by-side for you.
This is a SatCom pirate at 255.550 MHz that's active now.

The E4000 dongle is on the left, the R820T is on the right.

They're both connected to the same antenna.

Rich

Last edited:

VE3JSO

i have the same problem but with me my whole computer freezes and i can't do anything could that be the driver issue as well?

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Glad it helped. If you want my config file for sdr# let me know and i will post it.

Hey xeno. The HIRES pic link you posted of your settings went dead. Can you post it again? I just picked up one of these dongles and trying to work out the little tweaks has been a pain! Since you offered I'd love to take a look at that config file too. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.