Dumb question re: RTL-SDR using HDSDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Hi- I just received the ezcap RTL TV DVB-T USB dongle in the mail- direct from China. Total time from ordering online to my mailbox was less than 9 days.

I installed HDSDR, got it going (took hours and hours of reading the instructions, settings, and figuring out why no sound coming out of my laptop using HDSDR, re-set my audio settings to default, now sound yay)

I am able to receive some local FM broadcasting radio stations.

OK- here comes the "durr" moment: I cannot figure out how to scan across the bands, for instance- on my TenTec I can scan across 1.5 MHz to capture all the stations within 1.5 MHz. With HDSDR, the only thing I have been able to accomplish is inputting one specific frequency, but I cannot figure out how to have the system scan across a wide section. So, I have to manually input one single measly frequency. I want it to scan across a wide swath and then I can pick out what signals it gets.

Excuse me if I missed something in the instructions, I've been to RR SDR wiki, Stench,com, and even googled (with no success, did not find exactly I am looking for) it seems like a pretty stupid and easy thing to do but I can't figure it out even after staying up til 3:45 AM last night.

Explain it to me like I am 5 years old, I am an old lady with no tech skills, it's a miracle I got this going at all, in fact it took me quite some time and staring at the computer to figure out just how to make it work. I am fascinated with this technology but maybe it's over my head. As I said, I am an old lady and not really hi tech, so pretend your grandma is asking.

I just want to auto scan over a certain bandwidth, all I know how to do is put in say "718.54 MHz" only on the program but I don't know how to make it scan across say :"700 MHz through 800 MHz" so I can click on all the freqs it gathers. Does this make sense? Can the program do that?

if you want to congratulate me on being a female and OLD as dirt to get this going go ahead- it truly was an accomplishment for me, with NO help from my programmer husband who promised me he'd do it today, but I wanted to get it started last night as I just got it in the mail. I want to do it all myself as he has his own hobby and it doesn't include radio.

Thanks in advance.

Fine if you point me to a website wiki but please at least point out which paragraph or exact place I should look for this information i must be mentally disabled as I can't find what I am looking for darnit.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Fleef

Unfortunately HDSDR will not scan across 2 set frequencies or a set band. The only app i know that will do that is SDR# with the scan plug-in. With a SDR you want to see a chunk of radio spectrum and click on the signal. Scanning is possible but not with HDSDR at the moment.

If you want to try SDR# with the scan plug in the links are below

SDR#
http://sdrsharp.com/index.php/downloads
Grab the following
SDR# Dev (Continuous Integration, Last Changed Rev: 1165 )
SDR# RTLSDR Plugin (Continuous Integration, Last Changed Rev: 1165 )

Scanner plugin
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdrsharp-plugins/

RTL DRIVER (copy everything from the x32 folder into your sdr# folder
http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/rtl-sdr/RelWithDebInfo.zip

Do not make any sub folders just have one folder called sdr# and everything you download above inside your sdr# folder

Good luck

Last edited:

fleef

Ohhh okay

Good- that answers it. I thought I was just missing something. I appreciate the response!

fleef

This whole RTL-SDR thing is fascinating. Now on to figuring out getting the APCO25 decoding working. I have downloaded cygwin and am on this page RTL-SDR Tutorial: Decoding Digital Voice (P25) with DSD - rtl-sdr.com reading the instructions. This will be a fun challenge for me. I don't like having to use virtual audio cable, I thought it would be a lot easier for instance, not having the audio go through another process in order to decipher the APCO xmissions but gee whiz what does one expect using a 12 dollar TV dongle as an SDR! If anyone's interested I used "dealextreme" website to order the dongle. It did not take long to get here and was in a package direct from China.

I also need to enclose the stick into a box, and finagle a proper antenna and connexion for it as well. This is the fun of radio- including figuring out this whole "system". Very daunting, very tedious, but that is the nature of the hobby sometimes.

I figured- before this "RTL-SDR" craze came out, that this whole TV stick as SDR was a possibility but not having engineering or electronic or programming smarts making it happen was beyond my ken. I'm impressed with the software programs and wow what genius, you know? It's just so fascinating.

Welp, between doing some major home improvements (carpet removal and other crummy stuff) I will figure out this whole RTL SDR mess. It will take time but the learning is really half the fun. Most of the talk on this forum is Greek to me but little by little I will have it figured out somewhat.

Thanks for your response

questnz

I just got one myself of the DVB-T-DAB+FM dongles to play with, what antenna should I use for best performance? any help will be appreciated as this is my first "gismo" of this kind.
ps Got Diamond D130 on the roof and plenty antennas for handhelds.

Thanks Chris

BM82557

I just got one myself of the DVB-T-DAB+FM dongles to play with, what antenna should I use for best performance? any help will be appreciated as this is my first "gismo" of this kind.
ps Got Diamond D130 on the roof and plenty antennas for handhelds.

Thanks Chris

The Diamond D130J is what I use, RG6U coax with an F to MCX converter to an NooElec.

Status
Not open for further replies.