RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 8:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes Rich, windows makes a sound letting me know its plugged in, theres no extension cable, and it is for sure a powered port. Everything in Zadig matches what you said, and yes, im opening it by right clicking on it, and running it as an admin. The link you posted is what i was originally trying to go by before i created this thread. However every single time i click "replace driver" in zadig, the instant i click it, it continues to tell me "the driver installation failed"

mtindor, i managed to do steps 1-5 however i have no idea how to go about doing step 6. Im sure step 6 is important, since steps 1-5 have made no difference...

Old 12-08-2013, 9:35 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
Yes Rich, windows makes a sound letting me know its plugged in, theres no extension cable, and it is for sure a powered port. Everything in Zadig matches what you said, and yes, im opening it by right clicking on it, and running it as an admin. The link you posted is what i was originally trying to go by before i created this thread. However every single time i click "replace driver" in zadig, the instant i click it, it continues to tell me "the driver installation failed"

mtindor, i managed to do steps 1-5 however i have no idea how to go about doing step 6. Im sure step 6 is important, since steps 1-5 have made no difference...
6. Open up SDRSharp.exe.Config in your SDR# folder.

Make sure you have the RTL-SDR / USB line uncommented -- the line should look like this:

<add key="RTL-SDR / USB" value="SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR" />

Save SDRSharp.exe.Config

7. Plug your dongle in
8. Fire up SDR#
9. Click on the pull-down menu between the Start / Config buttons
- choose RTL-SDR / USB
10. Set your output audio device to your speakers or something as a test
11. Cick Start and see if it works

If this doesn't work, you'll know it as soon as you select RTL-SDR / USB from the pull-down menu

Incidentally, when you say "it isn't working" you need to be clear. Just what do you mean it isn't working. Do you get an error? If you don't get an error, something is working. If you do get an error, you need to clearly state what the error is.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

I didn't forget you.
I've been away from the computer all day.

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems.
There have been cases where people have seen error messages like that and the driver still gets installed properly.

Here are a few suggestions.

With the dongle unplugged:
If you go to 'Control Panel', then 'Device Manager
Note any devices that show up under 'Universal Serial Bus devices'.

In the screen capture below, I have just one dongle installed. Circled in red.

Then ................ plug in the dongle and let Windows discover it.

Now look at your list under 'Universal Serial Bus devices' again.
Does a new device show up?

If so, what does it say?

If it doesn't say 'Bulk-In, Interface 0)
Being very sure of which device is related to the dongle .....
You should ............. RIGHT click on it and select Uninstall.

It's best to reboot the computer at that point to let it do some cleanup.
When it comes back up, try to install the zadig driver again following the same instructions.

Rich

Alternately
You can try an older driver here: (161)
( zadig_v2.0.1.161.exe 03-Sep-2013 18:31 5.0M )
Index of /downloads
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I thought of one more thing.
I should have mentioned this before.

You should not have installed any drivers that came with the dongle.
That can really cause problems.

If so, go here and search down to .................
"Before I found this site, I bought the dongle, but, not knowing better, installed the software supplied with it."
"How can I remove all traces of that install from my Windows 7 system?"

Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com
Old 12-09-2013, 4:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
6. Open up SDRSharp.exe.Config in your SDR# folder.

Make sure you have the RTL-SDR / USB line uncommented -- the line should look like this:

<add key="RTL-SDR / USB" value="SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR" />

Save SDRSharp.exe.Config

7. Plug your dongle in
8. Fire up SDR#
9. Click on the pull-down menu between the Start / Config buttons
- choose RTL-SDR / USB
10. Set your output audio device to your speakers or something as a test
11. Cick Start and see if it works

If this doesn't work, you'll know it as soon as you select RTL-SDR / USB from the pull-down menu

Incidentally, when you say "it isn't working" you need to be clear. Just what do you mean it isn't working. Do you get an error? If you don't get an error, something is working. If you do get an error, you need to clearly state what the error is.

Mike
ok, i have done this entire process, now when i go to start SDRsharp, 2 different errors pop up, then the program loads. There is no RTL-SDR / USB option in the menu. When i replace the 2 .dll files with the originals, only 1 error pops up, and the "RTL-SDR / USB" DOES appear in the drop down menu. but when i go to select it, i get a message saying "Cannot access RTL device"

Rich, i uninstalled the driver, then rebooted. (it wasnt listed in the "usb devices" section like on your pc, its listed under "sound video and game controllers") Upon restart, windows automatically found the driver again and installed it, and the Zadig tool is still failing to replace it. I tried Uninstalling it and trying zadig, but that doesnt work becuase the "bulk in interface 0" doesnt even show up on the list when its uninstalled... I also tried the older zadig driver you linked to and got identical results.

Sure glad i didnt jump into this SDR thing with anything more then a $20 dongle LOL!
Old 12-09-2013, 4:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ok, i went ahead and tried this on my girlfriends computer, and it worked perfectly. Using the .zip file you sent me Rich, i had it all working in less then 1 minute. That doesnt help me 1 single bit though, since "I" still cant use it....

Since i am more then likely going to completely wipe my computer and start all over with a fresh install of windows just so i can get this to work, i have another question regarding this.. Now that i have it working on at least 1 of my PCs, when i tune it to a specific frequency and key up my mic, the screen makes a huge change (it definitely knows the signal is there) however no audio comes out of the speakers. any ideas what im doing wrong there?
Old 12-09-2013, 5:19 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Rich, i uninstalled the driver, then rebooted. (it wasnt listed in the "usb devices" section like on your pc, its listed under "sound video and game controllers") Upon restart, windows automatically found the driver again and installed it, and the Zadig tool is still failing to replace it. I tried Uninstalling it and trying zadig, but that doesnt work becuase the "bulk in interface 0" doesnt even show up on the list when its uninstalled... I also tried the older zadig driver you linked to and got identical results.

Sure glad i didnt jump into this SDR thing with anything more then a $20 dongle LOL!
That's a good clue to the problem.
'Maybe' you're almost there! ;-)
And once you get it working, you'll want even more dongles.

It should NEVER be in the 'sound and video game controllers'!
None of the nine various types of dongles that I have ever showed up there.

I found this comment on the Yahoo SDRSharp group.

Rich

" I think the reason most of us have gotten this error message
is because Windows auto-detected and installed the wrong driver. Open
Device Manager and if you see a Realtek device listed under "Sound,
Video and Game Controllers", that ain't gonna work. When properly
installed with the WinUSB driver the RTL dongle will show up at the
bottom of the list as a "USB Device" and if you look at the Driver
details it will say "libusb".

There isn't much documentation on Zadig, but it evidently has the
ability to find the RTL device and gives you the ability to change out
the driver. Once you install WinUSB in the first device on the
pull-down list in Zadig, it should work.

Don't bother trying to Uninstall Driver and Scan for New Hardware in
Windows because it will just do the same thing all over again as it
thinks you want to watch TV. "
Old 12-09-2013, 5:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Last time this happened to me, I disabled windows update, hunted down the signed driver using 'search everything' force deleted the DLLs. And rebooted. But I wouldn't suggest deleting random DLLs from your computer unless you know what you're doing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2013, 5:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
when i tune it to a specific frequency and key up my mic, the screen makes a huge change (it definitely knows the signal is there) however no audio comes out of the speakers. any ideas what im doing wrong there?
Well, at least you know the software works.

No sound could be caused by overloading the dongle, wrong mode/bandwidth setting etc., or the volume slider may be too low in the Audio section.

Here are some sample settings to get you started.
If you click on the magnifier in the bottom right corner of the image, you'll eventually get to the hi-rez version so you can make out all of the settings.

I almost always have both AGC boxes unchecked and then move the RF Gain slider until I get the desired signal level.
Too much RF will 'swamp' the front end of the dongle.

Rich

Here are some sample settings:

For NOAA Weather broadcasts:

For FM Broadcast stations:

For airband AM:

Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2013, 5:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

And, one more thing to be aware of.

The 28.800 MHz oscillator drifts quite a bit for the first 30-40 minutes the dongle has power applied.

Eventually, it will settle down.
After that, it's 'relatively' stable for what it is.

Rich

This image captures just the first 4 minutes or so after power on.
It will continue to drift back and forth for a while.

It's tuned to an ATSC Pilot signal and zoomed way in.

The left side of the display is around 638.300 MHz and the right side is at 638.325.
The pilot signal for channel 42 is at 638.310 MHz.

Old 12-10-2013, 6:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
Well, at least you know the software works.

No sound could be caused by overloading the dongle, wrong mode/bandwidth setting etc., or the volume slider may be too low in the Audio section.

Here are some sample settings to get you started.
If you click on the magnifier in the bottom right corner of the image, you'll eventually get to the hi-rez version so you can make out all of the settings.

I almost always have both AGC boxes unchecked and then move the RF Gain slider until I get the desired signal level.
Too much RF will 'swamp' the front end of the dongle.

Rich
i tried messing with it today with no luck. With the squelch turned off, i can hear static, but then it goes silent when a signal comes across, then back to static.
My entire AGC section is greyed out so i cant uncheck any boxes. Also i have an AF gain slider but no RF gain. Are those the same?
Old 12-10-2013, 6:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

AF gain is the output volume. RF gain is set inside the mini settings box when you click on options at the top of SDR#

Old 12-10-2013, 7:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Depending on the frequency/mode you're trying to listen to, you want to set a lot of things the same as in my example screen captures above.

You should have the mode, bandwidth, etc. set similar to those examples.
Most people have NOAA weather broadcasts in their area. That's a good starting point.

Also, as tylerwatt said, the small pup-up 'Configure' window is where the RF gain and AGC settings etc. are.

Rich
Old 12-12-2013, 9:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ok, i found that. using the settings in your pics, im able to receive FM broadcast perfectly, but thats about it. When i try to listen to a noaa weather station, theres absolutely nothing. When i go to listen to my local police dept on 460.125, when audio is transmitted, there is nothing but constant static coming out of the speakers, but theres a definite change on the screen.. i have it set to nfm..
Old 12-12-2013, 9:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For anything but FM broadcast. Use NFM mode. You can also set your channel bandwidth up there too. Also try turning up the gain. What antenna are you using?

Old 03-17-2014, 8:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Driver problems NooElec and Zadig and SDR# batch install

Has anyone who got the message in SDR# about either RTL-SDR / USB not connected or the driver is not working properly ever gotten past it? I used the batch file to install the latest SDR...it all unzipped to the directory. Does it have to be a high up folder or can it be deep?

In any case, I plugged in the NooELEC R820T, Windows installed it's drivers as the instructions say to let it finish doing that since you will replace them later anyway. Then I right-clicked on Zadig and chose Run As Admin. I listed all devices and choose the Interface 0 one. Zadig reported successful install. Then I ran SSDR# but when I chose RTL-SDR / USB I got the message about the driver not working properly. I uninstalled the driver from device manager and tried again (with proper reboots). I also tried a different USB port. Same error. I'm at wits end. I tried that earlier advice about going to sourceforge for dll and such but was unable to make heads or tails of that .7z file. It wouldn't unzip, extract, or anything. Windows said it was empty. If I can get the dll and lib files am I right to understand that merely copying them to the SDR# folder is sufficient to make it work? Or does Zadig need to install them of=r something? I also went and ran that rtl_test.exe program in a DOS window and it said no devices found. So despite the fact that Zadig reports success...obviously something is wrong.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone? I had hoped to use this thing for APCO25 but hell I can't even get it to pick up the local FM rock station. I have no idea what to try with this driver issue.
Old 03-17-2014, 8:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I forgot to ask, is there a way to install the correct driver without using ZADIG? Some way that will always work correctly and has step by step instructions? Thanks & 73
Old 03-17-2014, 9:12 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

What version of Windows is this?
Old 03-17-2014, 9:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

There's a special version of Zadig for XP so that's eliminated as a problem.

To answer your earlier question, you'll have to get past Zadig to go any further. It's normally not this difficult.

There's a small chance you've selected the wrong device or you've purchased a device that is not compatible.

When you select the device in Zadig, what are the VID and PID numbers (vendor ID and product ID)?