New HF+FM+VHF SDR RX from Elad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting news for the RX enthusiast:
I0GEJ's RadioCronache.com | FDM-DUO 16bit Stand Alone Transceiver & FDM-S2 16bit Direct Sampling Receiver & SW2 software are “hares” coming-soon!

The FDM-S2 seems to be a RX spin-off from the SDR-DUO with the same specs.
Interestingly it also offers FM Broadcast and VHF inputs, besides its extensive 0-52MHz HF range.
Like the DUO it is a full 16bits SDR.

Pricing (€525) for such an extended SDR RX is very interesting I think, with FM DX and VHF downconverters on board.

Paul
PD0PSB

Last edited:

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Interesting news for the RX enthusiast:
I0GEJ's RadioCronache.com | FDM-DUO 16bit Stand Alone Transceiver & FDM-S2 16bit Direct Sampling Receiver & SW2 software are “hares” coming-soon!

The FDM-S2 seems to be a RX spin-off from the SDR-DUO with the same specs.
Interestingly it also offers FM Broadcast and VHF inputs, besides its extensive 0-52MHz HF range.
Like the DUO it is a full 16bits SDR.

Pricing (€525) for such an extended SDR RX is very interesting I think, with FM DX and VHF downconverters on board.

Paul
PD0PSB

I seen that as well (currently shopping for an upcoming SDR purchase).

The bad thing is it is impossible to find reviews on their products. I am watching it, I would just like to know about the quality of their current gear and make an informed decision.

Do you own any of their products?

SCPD

QRT
Hi,

I've owned the FDM-S1, PDC-V1 and SFE1.0 board.
Am currently waiting for the FDM-S2 as my next purchase.

The hardware is all very good quality (boards,components,housing, modern FPGA/ADC chips)
The software is very advanced. Tou can test this from their website.

I am especially enthusiastic about the people from Elad.
Service have been more than excellent and they are very invitational to user comments.
I also think their software approach is very refreshing and taking SDR usabilty to a next level (see my FDM-S1 review on Eham for details on this). Simon Brown HB9DRV also supports their products in SDR Radio V2 and is generally very positive about their devices.

Today some promotional videos were posted for the latest software:
ELADnews - YouTube

I would also like to see more in-depth reviews but the company is quite modest in their PR activities.
Development clearly seems to have the focus right now.
They did recently open a US office/shop to make their products easier available.

Not affilliated.

Paul
PD0PSB

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply.

I did see your review on eham and it looks like you made a good purchase.

I will keep an eye on them, their FDM-S2 looks very interesting to me and been one I have been looking at. If performance is good, price point places it between the SDR-iq and the Winradio G31DDC (think I got that right). Could be good.

Thanks again.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I've owned the FDM-S1, PDC-V1 and SFE1.0 board.
Am currently waiting for the FDM-S2 as my next purchase.

The hardware is all very good quality (boards,components,housing, modern FPGA/ADC chips)
The software is very advanced. Tou can test this from their website.

I am especially enthusiastic about the people from Elad.
Service have been more than excellent and they are very invitational to user comments.
I also think their software approach is very refreshing and taking SDR usabilty to a next level (see my FDM-S1 review on Eham for details on this). Simon Brown HB9DRV also supports their products in SDR Radio V2 and is generally very positive about their devices.

Today some promotional videos were posted for the latest software:
ELADnews - YouTube

I would also like to see more in-depth reviews but the company is quite modest in their PR activities.
Development clearly seems to have the focus right now.
They did recently open a US office/shop to make their products easier available.

Not affilliated.

Paul
PD0PSB

I recently purchased the FDM-S1.

What is the difference s between the FDM-S1 and FDM-S2

What are your thoughts on the PDC-V1 .

I enjoy the unique tuning controls on the FDM-S-1, also the DRM is very easy to use.

I also own a Perseus and feel the FDM-S1 is close but not equal to that radio.

However that being said it has great software and is a overall good performer.

SCPD

QRT
Hi,

The FDM-S2 is a true 16 bit Direct Sampling SDR, meaning it will have a much improved dynamic range en sensitivity. The MDS for the FDM-S2 is -132dBm at 500Hz BW, this is around 10(!) db better than the FDM-S1. BDR is stated at +115dB but detailed specs are not published yet.

The FDM-S2 also ranges to over 52MHz, so it includes the low VHF up to 6m DX and has the additional ranges 70-108 and 136-160MHz with a seperate antenna input.

I'm quite surprised the price difference between the FDM-S1 and S2 is still relatively small.
(FDM-S1 used to be €429 here, while the S2 is introduced at €525)
Price is also *very* sharp compared to f.i. Perseus and Winradio Excalibur, especially since it adds FM DX and VHF.

My guess is it has to become quite a hit...

Paul
PD0PSB

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Also there is upcoming software for use with either the fdm-s1 or fdm-s2 that will allow 4 virtual receivers with the one sdr

Correct.
And what I have understood you can also "split" its DDC range with two (DSP) NCOs.
So you can have two band segments running in parallel, far apart over its entire RX range.
I understand this also becomes possible with the FDM-S1 with a new "multi" DLL.

Paul
PD0PSB

SCPD

QRT
What are your thoughts on the PDC-V1

Hi Fred,

I just used the PDC-V1 for a short time,mostly on FM DX.
It performed quite well, was very sensitive and not easily overloaded.
The WFM stereo & RDS quality of the SW1 software is good.

On VHF I did see some light images from a very nearby pager, but not severe.

Build quality and integration to the software are excellent, everything switches automatically if you select the VHF/FM ranges.

NB: With the FDM-S2 you don't need it anymore, as VHF & FM are in the box.

Paul
PD0PSB

SCPD

QRT
Some preliminary specs were published for who is interested in the FM Broadcast range of this SDR:

Hi sensitivity mode:
Better than 2uV for 12dB SINAD
Clipping level -3dB
IP3 +21dBm

Low sensitivity mode:
Better than 10uV for 12dB SINAD
Clipping level +9dB
IP3 +29dBm

Seems like a pretty robust FM DX frontend.

Paul
PD0PSB

jdobbs2001

I ordered yesterday the fdm-s2 so I can listen in on hf etc.. Where the B200 does not go down to.

It seems like a much better deal than the q1sr product which I never bought due to concerns regarding software support etc.

It seems to be a better deal than the old Perseus sdr. And forget the sdr-iq selling for 525, that is a joke compared to this new fdm-s2
No reviews though for some reason.

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think it is a great deal for $525.00, I do not miss my SDR-IQ, and the Elad is close in comparison with the Perseus IMO.

You will want to join the Elad Yahoo Group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/elad_sdr_en/conversations/messages

Watch for a email from:

elad_sdr_en Moderator (elad_sdr_en-owner@yahoogroups.com)

It will include the Credential in order to access ftp elad_sdr file server (at least thats the way things worked for me)

The Elad will come with 2 USB cables, one will be a Y cable which was not necessary for operation.

Enjoy!

NYG

I ordered FDM-S2 myself. Just got it today. For HF I was using a Hermes board, which was a very nice piece of gear. I have no interest in TX though on HF so I sold it and bought the FDM-S2 and pocketed a couple hundred bucks.

So far I find it a very good receiver but really need to spend additional time with their S/W which appears to be very good. I gave it a quick check with
SDR Console just to make sure it works. It found the device immediately.

I was surprised at the weight of the small box. It's solid.

I think for $525 this is a very good deal and I've only used it in the HF bands so far.

jdobbs2001

The other neat feature it supports I2c and they sell an experimenters board that interfaces with the fdm so you can build interesting things such as filters etc, prototyping and have the radio switch it etc..

The fpga is a spartan-6 which is in the the same family as the fpga in my ettus b200

In 2009 I was looking at a q1sr but passed. In 2014 you can go dc to daylight with two high quality sdrs for the price of one sdr in 2009

Sdr is definitely the wave of the future. And this FDM-s2 does seem like a very good deal for the price.

jdobbs2001

Looks like the FDM-S2 uses the LTC2165 16bit ADC

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/216543f.pdf

And a Xilinx XC6SLX25 FPGA which is a pretty respectable FPGA, it has 24,051 logic cells.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds160.pdf

and I would guess they probably use a Cypress FX2 to interface to the USB.

EZ - USB FX2LP™ - Cypress

If you count the cost of software/hardware development,parts, manufacturing etc.. The price seems very good overall.

When I get it I will put it through its paces and see how it works.

There is gonna be some vendors having to revaluate pricing of their products now that this FDM-S2 is selling for 525 USD.

jdobbs2001

I got the FDM-S2 and wow this thing can pull signals out of the mud, and the audio quality I would say rivals the R8B in audio quality/SYNC AM.

I will be doing a review on soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.