RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
Welp, I just nuked the Mint 17.3 build. Going to Ubuntu 16.04.4 I'm not going to do anything other than the install routines on this build. No updates using an update manager.
There shouldn't be any problem pulling ubuntu updates. All my linux machines are kept up to date (kernels too).
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2018, 7:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
There shouldn't be any problem pulling ubuntu updates. All my linux machines are kept up to date (kernels too).
IDK. The base Linux distros install easily, whether its Ubuntu or Mint. It's just the gnuradio install that doesn't go smoothly, and it's been different error sequences for each distro version. Anyway, the fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04 is almost finished installing. Can anyone point to a post number that has the correct commands for installing gnuradio on U16.04? I'm looking at #1705
Old 05-14-2018, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For grins, I just did a fresh install of Mint 18.3, then op25. I captured a transcript of everything I did to get it working (i.e. I'm hearing decoded audio) - http://www.dseven.org/tmp/op25-install-mint18_3.txt

In short, the only things I had to do beyond the usual install.sh were to install python-numpy (maybe should be added to install.sh), and blacklist some kernel modules.

BTW, rx.sh is just a wrapper script around rx.py - you can see where it outputs the dynamically generated trunk.tsv file and the rx.py command that it runs.
Old 05-14-2018, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

OK, so it *seems* like I have a successful installation using Ubuntu 16.04.4 as the base OS.

These are the steps I took: (no semicolons)

Edited: /etc/apt/sources.list file to uncomment applicable deb-scr statements;
Ran: sudo apt-get update;
Ran: sudo apt-get install git;
Ran: cd ~;
Ran: git clone https://github.com/boatbod/op25
Ran: cd op25
Ran: ./install.sh

I didn't see any fatal errors, thoughI I saw some developer errors about whitespace again - but the install completed.

I'll test it over the next few days when I get back from a trip.

Thanks to all who helped!
Old 05-14-2018, 8:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
OK, so it *seems* like I have a successful installation using Ubuntu 16.04.4 as the base OS.

These are the steps I took: (no semicolons)

Edited: /etc/apt/sources.list file to uncomment applicable deb-scr statements;
Ran: sudo apt-get update;
Ran: sudo apt-get install git;
Ran: cd ~;
Ran: git clone https://github.com/boatbod/op25
Ran: cd op25
Ran: ./install.sh

I didn't see any fatal errors, thoughI I saw some developer errors about whitespace again - but the install completed.

I'll test it over the next few days when I get back from a trip.

Thanks to all who helped!
The whitespace warnings can be ignored. I haven't found a way to eliminate them yet.
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2018, 5:44 PM

What am I doing wrong here?

Old 05-15-2018, 6:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboys-Scanna View Post
What am I doing wrong here?

'cat stderr.2' to find out
Old 05-16-2018, 7:19 PM

For this test I was using a new SDR-RTL, I decided to test using the V3 model. On startup it didn't work. After adjusting the tune with the >, it started to decode. At the bottom of the screen the working CC looks like this: 770.16875 (1200).

How do I adjust for the re-tune? Change the CC? What setting? Adjust the PPM, in the start script?

I was testing using Ubuntu 16.04. Has anyone tried Linux MInt, or Ubuntu 18.04? Does either work as well?
Old 05-16-2018, 7:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfish457 View Post
For this test I was using a new SDR-RTL, I decided to test using the V3 model. On startup it didn't work. After adjusting the tune with the >, it started to decode. At the bottom of the screen the working CC looks like this: 770.16875 (1200).

How do I adjust for the re-tune? Change the CC? What setting? Adjust the PPM, in the start script?
1 PPM at 770MHz would be 770Hz ... so try "-q -1 -d 400" - that should get you fairly close. Open the mixer plot (press 5, if using boatbod's code), and fine tune it to center, then update '-d' to whatever you come up with.

Quote:
I was testing using Ubuntu 16.04. Has anyone tried Linux MInt, or Ubuntu 18.04? Does either work as well?
See posts #1991 and #2003 of this thread. The short answer is "yes".
Old 05-24-2018, 4:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Newbie learning the ropes

I started to play with op25 on a P25 Phase 2 system using Ubuntu 18.04LTS VM and an RTLSDR dongle. There is very little info in RR except for frequencies and control channels. I have successfully gotten rx.py to run, seen the control channel on the plot and get an X on the constellation plot.
It reports "voice frequency blah tgid(s) 10001 None 13s ago count 132"
after running for a while.
I modified trunk.tsv to put in the control channel and the NAC after it complained and told me the NAC it heard.
my command line is:
./rx.py --args 'rtl=0' -f 857e6 -T trunk.tsv -2 -t S2048000 -U --gains 'lna:40'
I usually have to hit the > at least once after starting in order to remove the "p25_framer::rx_sym() tuning error +1200" error.
The control and voice channels are separated by more than 2mhz.
1. Do I need to use multi_rx? from what I have gathered so far, multi_rx won't do P25 Phase 2. Is that still true? SDRtrunk requires an additional dongle(s) in that situation to cover the bandwidth, so I assume that switching over to the voice channel and then back to the control will miss data and cause problems.

2. The short audio that comes over sounds garbled; like encrypted Phase 1. Does this mean the system is encrypted or that I simply don't have the right settings yet? How would I go about checking this?

thanks! ECR
Old 05-24-2018, 7:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I assume you are using the boatbid fork? If not, you'll need more parameters (on the command line to get the voice decode working.

You definitely don't want multi_rx if you want to trunk track P25. What you probably do want to do is look at the mixer plot (key #5) and dial in your ppm error correction (-q) and fine tuning (-d). Ideally the constellation plot should look like a square, with a group of dancing dots located at the four corners.

Post some screen shots of the mixer plot.

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardClerkRudolf View Post
I started to play with op25 on a P25 Phase 2 system using Ubuntu 18.04LTS VM and an RTLSDR dongle. There is very little info in RR except for frequencies and control channels. I have successfully gotten rx.py to run, seen the control channel on the plot and get an X on the constellation plot.
It reports "voice frequency blah tgid(s) 10001 None 13s ago count 132"
after running for a while.
I modified trunk.tsv to put in the control channel and the NAC after it complained and told me the NAC it heard.
my command line is:
./rx.py --args 'rtl=0' -f 857e6 -T trunk.tsv -2 -t S2048000 -U --gains 'lna:40'
I usually have to hit the > at least once after starting in order to remove the "p25_framer::rx_sym() tuning error +1200" error.
The control and voice channels are separated by more than 2mhz.
1. Do I need to use multi_rx? from what I have gathered so far, multi_rx won't do P25 Phase 2. Is that still true? SDRtrunk requires an additional dongle(s) in that situation to cover the bandwidth, so I assume that switching over to the voice channel and then back to the control will miss data and cause problems.

2. The short audio that comes over sounds garbled; like encrypted Phase 1. Does this mean the system is encrypted or that I simply don't have the right settings yet? How would I go about checking this?

thanks! ECR
Old 06-01-2018, 2:15 PM

I can no longer compile Boatbod's fork any more on my Arch Linux. Lately Arch has upgraded cmake and gcc (gcc went to version 8) I looked in AUR thinking I was going to compile gcc7 but all was flagged out of date at this time; gcc8 will not compile them. I have run into some other incompatibilities also with gcc8. So I really do not know at this time if it is cmake or gcc8 that is the problem. Could even be something else also. I am not getting any helpfull info when it errors out even with make with verbose enabled.

[ 25%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/vc55_imbe_decoder.cc.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/value_string.cc.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/pickle.cc.o
[ 27%] Linking CXX shared library libgnuradio-op25.so
[ 27%] Built target gnuradio-op25
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

The good news is there is no problem with my Mint 17.3 install compiling the latest Boatbod tree and running op25. The only issue with it is I run the Mint in arch chroot so I do not have access to the web interface but as long as I have audio I am ok.

Last edited by Dark-Sky; 06-01-2018 at 2:25 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sky View Post
I can no longer compile Boatbod's fork any more on my Arch Linux. Lately Arch has upgraded cmake and gcc (gcc went to version 8) I looked in AUR thinking I was going to compile gcc7 but all was flagged out of date at this time; gcc8 will not compile them. I have run into some other incompatibilities also with gcc8. So I really do not know at this time if it is cmake or gcc8 that is the problem. Could even be something else also. I am not getting any helpfull info when it errors out even with make with verbose enabled.

[ 25%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/vc55_imbe_decoder.cc.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/value_string.cc.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-op25.dir/pickle.cc.o
[ 27%] Linking CXX shared library libgnuradio-op25.so
[ 27%] Built target gnuradio-op25
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

The good news is there is no problem with my Mint 17.3 install compiling the latest Boatbod tree and running op25. The only issue with it is I run the Mint in arch chroot so I do not have access to the web interface but as long as I have audio I am ok.
There's not much to go on from that log fragment. What happens if you invoke the build using "make VERBOSE=1" after it fails the first time?

ETA: you could try installing the gcc-5 package under Arch, then use the "update-alternatives" command to temporarily make gcc-5 the default gcc version. That way we'd know whether the op25 code is failing under new stricter gcc-8 rules, or whether is some incompatibility with Arch itself.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...c-in-archlinux

Last edited by boatbod; 06-01-2018 at 4:22 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 PM

I had gcc 5.5.0 and gcc6.4.1 on my system and still get the same errors. I looked over the compiling again tonight and I am getting these errors on gcc5, gcc6 and gcc8 along with some "Dependee" I guess maybe warnings? I also did a fresh pull and compiled with no luck either.

It is strange that my install from about a month or so that is on my Arch OS still works great. I reverted back to 1st of March in the tree also with no luck.

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'op25/gr-op25/swig/op25_swig.py', needed by 'op25/gr-op25/swig/op25_swig.pyc'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build'
[ 0%] Building CXX object op25/gr-op25/swig/CMakeFiles/_op25_swig_swig_tag.dir/_op25_swig_swig_tag.cpp.o
cd /home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/swig && /usr/bin/c++ -I/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/op25/gr-op25/include -I/usr/include/gnuradio/swig -I/usr/include/python2.7 -I/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/op25/gr-op25/swig -I/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/swig -std=c++11 -O3 -DNDEBUG -fvisibility=hidden -o CMakeFiles/_op25_swig_swig_tag.dir/_op25_swig_swig_tag.cpp.o -c /home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/swig/_op25_swig_swig_tag.cpp
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:380: op25/gr-op25/swig/CMakeFiles/pygen_op25_gr_op25_swig_ba96d.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Dependee "/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/apps/CMakeFiles/pygen_op25_gr_op25_apps_383eb.dir/DependInfo.cmake" is newer than depender "/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/apps/CMakeFiles/pygen_op25_gr_op25_apps_383eb.dir/depend.internal".
Dependee "/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/apps/CMakeFiles/CMakeDirectoryInformation.cmake" is newer than depender "/home/ray/Desktop/test/op25/build/op25/gr-op25/apps/CMakeFiles/pygen_op25_gr_op25_apps_383eb.dir/depend.internal".

Last edited by Dark-Sky; 06-01-2018 at 10:47 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 12:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If it's been a while this is typically what I do:

cd /op25/build
sudo make uninstall
cd ~
sudo /bin/rm -R op25/

Then start fresh
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/boatbod/op25
cd op25
./install.sh

Curious if anyone has had luck listening to D-Star using the multi_rx..py app?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
This is a long thread and I haven't kept up in a while. I have an old version of OP25 on Ubuntu 14.04 running inside of VMWare Workstation 12 Player installed on a Windows 7 machine. I haven't run OP25 since last year and wanted to update to the latest version. So where do I begin? Do I need to uninstall the old version first and then install the new one? What do we click on to do this?
If it's been a while this is typically what I do on a straight Linux environment:

cd /op25/build
sudo make uninstall
cd ~
sudo /bin/rm -R op25/

Then start fresh
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/boatbod/op25
cd op25
./install.sh

Curious if anyone has had luck listening to D-Star using the multi_rx..py app?
Old 06-02-2018, 5:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Silly question, but has the "swig" package been installed?
Old 06-02-2018, 9:26 AM

swig is installed here. It is the same version that I installed over a year ago looking at the pacman log:

[2017-05-06 19:31] [ALPM] installed swig (3.0.12-1)

[ray@arch ~]$ pacman -Ss swig
extra/swig 3.0.12-1 [installed]
Generate scripting interfaces to C/C++ code
community/valabind 1.6.0-3
Tool to parse vala or vapi files to transform them into swig interface
files, C++, NodeJS-ffi or GIR

Last edited by Dark-Sky; 06-02-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think the "Dependee newer than depender" warning is probably unimportant, but the "make[1] error 2" is the root of the issue. Google seems to thing a make error 2 is a reference to something missing. Check the contents of the various paths listed on the g++ compilation line that failed.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Boatbod:

I finally got it to compile on Arch and it is working good with your latest fork using gcc8 and cmake 3.10.

Arch upgraded to cmake 3.11 on May 5th. I reverted to cmake 3.10 and it compiled.

I think the issue is this when I saw cmake 10 going through the cmake .. configuring. There was a "CMake Deprecation Warning" SWIG_ADD_MODULE is deprecated. Use SWIG_ADD_LIBRARY instead. It would let it go ahead and compile in cmake 3.10 but will not in cmake 3.11

CMake Deprecation Warning at /usr/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/UseSWIG.cmake:231 (message):
SWIG_ADD_MODULE is deprecated. Use SWIG_ADD_LIBRARY instead.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/Modules/GrSwig.cmake:158 (SWIG_ADD_MODULE)
op25/gr-op25/swig/CMakeLists.txt:42 (GR_SWIG_MAKE)

Last edited by Dark-Sky; 06-02-2018 at 12:20 PM..