SDRSHARPER A modified version of SDR# released

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfish457

Over on the rtl-sdr(.)com website is a mention of a Software Defined Radio called SDRSHARPER. As noted on the site, it may be an illegal clone of SDR#, and may be removed if found to be just that.

I downloaded it and tried to run it. It has a very "busy" interface, in some ways too busy. Not for the beginner.

Pinkfish457

osros

Feed Provider
I sort of liked what I saw overall. Yes the version looks like he tried to cram as much as he could into it. Was no use to me without an airspy config support. I hope at least maybe the author of the real software can add some of those features in future updates. But yeah not cool to use others work without permission

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Rumor has it...

...that it looks kinda like this....

Attachments

• sdrsharper_grab2.jpg
    sdrsharper_grab2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8,256

br0adband

Since it's been well established that SDRSharper is a rip-off of SDRSharp/SDR# itself, wouldn't it be logical to treat it as something that's best left untouched and not really even discussed around these parts?

Maybe? Admins, Mods, maybe chime in on this?

Not meaning to stir anything up but, I mean... really?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What's wrong with discussing it? Lots of software out there are variations of someones work. If SDR# was commercial software, sure... but nobody is being defrauded of any income over this.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
That does not look anything like sdrsharp but more like a modded ver. of hdsdr. Any word if the author of sdrsharp seen or comments about it?

mancow

Database Admin
Since it's been well established that SDRSharper is a rip-off of SDRSharp/SDR# itself, wouldn't it be logical to treat it as something that's best left untouched and not really even discussed around these parts?

Maybe? Admins, Mods, maybe chime in on this?

Not meaning to stir anything up but, I mean... really?

No.

mancow

Database Admin
I like the interface and the audio notices are a great idea. Is there a regular SDR# plugin for audio notches that's legit?

WQPW689

l8r0n

Premium Subscriber
A lot of work went into SDR# and it's really evolved over the years.
To bad SDR Sharper is an infringement of SDR# as I really like some of the refinements that was done in SDR Sharper.

toastycookies

A lot of work went into SDR# and it's really evolved over the years.
To bad SDR Sharper is an infringement of SDR# as I really like some of the refinements that was done in SDR Sharper.

Sounds like what happened to DSD when DSD+ ripped off the open source code, modified it, then changed license and closed the source.

br0adband

Sounds like what happened to DSD when DSD+ ripped off the open source code, modified it, then changed license and closed the source.

To my knowledge, such a situation has never been proven one way or the other so it's all conjecture and always has been unless you yourself happen to have the source code of DSD+ in any version for a line by line comparison with the source code of DSD itself.

To outright say it's theft with absolutely no proof to back up the position serves no purpose other than spouting off an opinion with no merit.

While DSD+ does a lot of the same things that the original DSD did and still manages to do, I've never seen any reason to believe the author(s) of DSD+ didn't just decide to do everything better from the ground up, but... that's my own opinion for the record. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.