RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio


Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 2:00 AM
jbeen's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO.
Posts: 16
Default

If 2.5 msps mode is working relatively well, I'd look at your CPU utilization in the two modes.

What CPU and how many cores does the computer have?

Take a look at Task Manager (Performance Tab) to see what the CPU utilization is when running in 10 msps mode. If the CPU utilization is too high, that can cause the Airspy to not work well.

(BTW, in Win10, right-click on the graph and select "Change graph to Logical processors" to view all the cores.)

Also, can you confirm the Airspy is plugged directly into the computer and not into a hub?

Josh
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 2:03 AM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Talking

So I have been running the AirSpy on my desktop, I completely forgot that I have a Microsoft Surface Pro. I just installed everything on the Surface, USB averaged 9.999, and UniTrunker is up and running at 10msps.
So far it is performing well.

So next question, what should I try changing on the desktop that the AirSpy doesn't like, a USB PCI board?
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 2:06 AM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeen View Post
If 2.5 msps mode is working relatively well, I'd look at your CPU utilization in the two modes.

What CPU and how many cores does the computer have?

Take a look at Task Manager (Performance Tab) to see what the CPU utilization is when running in 10 msps mode. If the CPU utilization is too high, that can cause the Airspy to not work well.

(BTW, in Win10, right-click on the graph and select "Change graph to Logical processors" to view all the cores.)

Also, can you confirm the Airspy is plugged directly into the computer and not into a hub?

Josh
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX-8310 Eight Core Processor 3.40 GHz
16 GB ram

I will hook the AirSpy back up and report back on cpu usage.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 2:19 AM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Default

CPU Utilization is around 20-30% with the highest spike of 45% with Chrome running as well.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 3:18 AM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Default

The AirSpy is working fine on my Surface Pro so I am looking at ordering this for the desktop to see if the AirSpy just doesn't like my onboard USB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:36 AM
dave3825's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej86 View Post
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX-8310 Eight Core Processor 3.40 GHz 16 GB ram

I will hook the AirSpy back up and report back on cpu usage.
I run an Intel dual core G840 3M-Cache 2.80-GHz with 4gb of ram and Win7 64 bit

I run my Airspy mini at 6 mhz along with 2 $10.00 realtek dongles. Software usually open is Proscan, Unitrunker, SDR# with 2 instances of of DSDPlus. I always have chrome open.
That being said, your pc definitely has more power than mine. My airspy Mini at 6 mhz is dead on. ,


Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej86 View Post
The AirSpy is working fine on my Surface Pro so I am looking at ordering this for the desktop to see if the AirSpy just doesn't like my onboard USB.
You said your usb as right at 10.00 .

3 questions, when you ran the usb test, how was your system at the time? All programs closed except for the test? What do you get if you bog down your system a little? Do the usb results change?

And on the surface pro, what is your ppm? I know from looking at your last posted pics it was -4.71 and or -171.95.

I just did my mini and its dead on.
Attached Images
 
__________________
DMR436HP Br330T Pro 93 Pro 95
Arc330Pro ProScan Freescan BCDX36HP Easy Manual Id Tracker
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 8:09 PM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3825 View Post

3 questions, when you ran the usb test, how was your system at the time? All programs closed except for the test? What do you get if you bog down your system a little? Do the usb results change?

And on the surface pro, what is your ppm? I know from looking at your last posted pics it was -4.71 and or -171.95.

I just did my mini and its dead on.
When I ran the test I believe everything was closed. I am at the station until 0800 Monday so I cant test the desktop out at the moment. I brought an external antenna, AirSpy, and Surface with me to the station and it is still working great. I just cleared the calibration and ran it on the Surface for the first time results are a little better to say the least. So something is wrong with the desktop.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 PM
jbeen's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO.
Posts: 16
Smile

I agree, sounds like plenty of CPU in your machine. :-)

Based on these couple posts, some people report the best luck with NEC USB chipsets.
https://forums.radioreference.com/so...irspy-use.html
https://forums.radioreference.com/so...r-dongles.html

Therefore, this is the USB-3 card I purchased, which has a NEC chipset.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G86538S/
For $17, it might be worth giving it a try.

Josh
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2017, 3:01 AM
kylej86's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keithville,LA
Posts: 28
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeen View Post
I agree, sounds like plenty of CPU in your machine. :-)

Based on these couple posts, some people report the best luck with NEC USB chipsets.
https://forums.radioreference.com/so...irspy-use.html
https://forums.radioreference.com/so...r-dongles.html

Therefore, this is the USB-3 card I purchased, which has a NEC chipset.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G86538S/
For $17, it might be worth giving it a try.

Josh
I browsed through the above links and decided to go ahead and order the one you suggested. It will be here Wednesday afternoon and I will throw it in that night and update. I'm fairly confident this should resolve my problems.

I really appreciate everyone's input and time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airspy, sdr, unitrunker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions