Computer requirements for RSP2 and various software packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a new computer. Big question is how much benefit is a separate gpu if I'm running an I7-7700HQ or I8-8550U quad core with 8 gb of Ram? I'm assuming these specs are more than fine, but will I see issues if I am using the Intel integrated graphics in the CPU vs a stand alone Nvidia GPU? Will a higher power processor such as those listed above be able to handle the additional load?

I will be a new SDR user, so I will likely experiment with different software packages.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

br0adband

With the power that even Intel's integrated GPUs have nowadays you won't notice anything odd or under-performing with either of those platforms you mentioned. Sure, if you get a "proper" discrete GPU from AMD or Nvidia it'll help things work better in terms of serious graphics requirements aka gaming but not much else, at least not from an SDR perspective.

People regularly do SDR duties using 10+ year old machines still running XP so yeah, those i7 or i8 based machines will absolutely be able to handle anything you'd like to experiment on. While it's not 100% required, my advice is buy more RAM if it's within your budget to do so, say 16GB so you have it and not at a later time when you may find yourself in a situation that could stand from having it. These days RAM isn't necessarily super expensive but the pricing fluctuates pretty wildly, especially if there's some natural catastrophe affecting the Asian regions of the world where such components are manufactured.

And get a nice display as well while you're able, or two as SDR ends up being a visual-centric way of monitoring nowadays with the spectrum and waterfalls that add to the hobby and have created a paradigm shift towards this new way of doing things. I've never been a big fan of multiple physical monitors but with SDR it can come in handy having SDR app of most any kind open on one monitor working in progress while still having another to do the typical computer "stuff" like web browsing, coding, reading, etc.

Alt+Tab = the best keyboard shortcut ever especially if you're a pretty serious multi-tasker. ;)

Thanks! Being new to SDRs and buying a new computer after 7 years, it can be a bit overwhelming not knowing exactly to look for. I've narrowed it down to two choices, one has an Nvidia GPU, but at somepoint I will want to upgrade to a larger SSD. The other has more memory and a bigger drive but no separate GPU.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...GVGpdxTcIaAoz1EALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1361153

http://www.microcenter.com/product/483159/Zenbook_UX430UA-DH74_140_Laptop_Computer_-_Grey

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I'm running the RSP2 on a Dell with an Intel i5 , a 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 12 GB of ram, and a motherboard-based graphics adapter. The software in use is SDR-Console version 3. It generally will only hiccup when opening Google Chrome while SDR-Console is in use. Other than that, I have no trouble at all. I'd guess that either configuration would be more than enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.