RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 3:30 PM

Smile SDR Trunk Decodes P25 (P1) in Linux, Works Fine!

DSheirer, I Got It Decoding Perfectly in Linux Mint (after fighting with ANT and JMBE installs for hours) I finally just installed Ant with the Synaptic package mgr and voila. JMBE wouldn't give me a Jar file until then either, but swearing was very helpful. Hooray! It Works Fine. Very Useable clean audio too. You Da Man! 100% perfect decoded audio. This is what I wanted.

fonestar, I had this too, you might have to click the drop down arrow in Channels (Source Tab) to Tuner and Enable it in the box below. Also, I had to click on the R820T box itself (Tuner Config/Tuner Type) in the Tuners Main Tab in order for it to activate and actually start working. My R820T is now showing up there but greyed out and I can't click anything but it is working fine. I also find that the SDR stick will lock up on occasion if it loosens contact grip in the USB port and need to be unplugged and replugged, or a Linux reboot will unlock it.

Last edited by RF-Guy-El-Loco; 01-12-2018 at 3:38 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2018, 4:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonestar View Post
Thanks Denny I am not sure how I missed that. Okay... so I have sdr-trunk up and running but for whatever reason, my RTL2832 is not being identified under "Tuners" and everything there is greyed out. Any ideas? The RTL2832 works fine under GQRX.
The application will log if it sees the RTL tuner on startup, or if there was an error loading it. Can you either post a screen shot of the logging from the command window during startup, or can you post your application log. It should be in your home directory under: /SDRTrunk/logs/sdrtrunk_app.log.

I'm guessing that you had to install a UDEV rule for the tuner in order to use it under GQRX?

Denny
Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF-Guy-El-Loco View Post
I see the talk groups are in hex, (From/To) that's what threw me. I was wishing that they could list out in decimal form. Everything I relate to talk groups is in decimals.
There's a ticket to add support for toggling between hex and decimal formats. It requires a good bit of code change, but it's on the to-do list. You can subscribe for notifications to find out when the ticket is finished here: https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/issues/40

Denny
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
The application will log if it sees the RTL tuner on startup, or if there was an error loading it. Can you either post a screen shot of the logging from the command window during startup, or can you post your application log. It should be in your home directory under: /SDRTrunk/logs/sdrtrunk_app.log.

I'm guessing that you had to install a UDEV rule for the tuner in order to use it under GQRX?

Denny

Hi Denny It works!! Thank-you so much. Also, I don't remember having to add a UDEV rule under GQRX but I rebooted my machine and now, with the jar files all in the same directory P25 audio is coming through.

One quick question... On my Realistic PRO-96 you can just put the control channel of the P25 system into it and it will monitor all of the P25 talk groups there. Does sdr-trunk work the same way? Or can I only listen to one frequency at a time? Many thanks...
Old 01-13-2018, 5:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
One quick question... On my Realistic PRO-96 you can just put the control channel of the P25 system into it and it will monitor all of the P25 talk groups there. Does sdr-trunk work the same way? Or can I only listen to one frequency at a time? Many thanks...
It works mostly the exact same way. Setup the control channel for decoding and it will will automatically create additional channels and decoders as each call/channel is allocated to a talkgroup. Unlike your scanner however, it will continue to decode the control channel during each call so that it can detect other calls that happen simultaneously.

You can run as many decoder channels simultaneously as your computer cpu/memory will support, so you're not just limited to a single P25 control channel.

You can also right-click on the audio playback panel and change from mono to stereo playback, so you can hear calls in both the left speaker and right speakers.

Denny
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
It works mostly the exact same way. Setup the control channel for decoding and it will will automatically create additional channels and decoders as each call/channel is allocated to a talkgroup. Unlike your scanner however, it will continue to decode the control channel during each call so that it can detect other calls that happen simultaneously.

You can run as many decoder channels simultaneously as your computer cpu/memory will support, so you're not just limited to a single P25 control channel.

You can also right-click on the audio playback panel and change from mono to stereo playback, so you can hear calls in both the left speaker and right speakers.

Denny
Hi Denny this is great, thank-you so much. Are there any plans to add more modulation schemes, technologies to the program in future releases?
Old Yesterday, 5:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hi Denny this is great, thank-you so much. Are there any plans to add more modulation schemes, technologies to the program in future releases?
Yes! But, it's all limited by my spare time availability.