noolec smart images/false signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

R7000

Hi all,

Got my first VHF/UHF dongle, nooelec smart.

Running 10' extension USB cable and then about 20' of coax to a discone in the attic. First thing I noticed are false images on the display on strong signals.

Ex: weather on 162.55 with S9+20 signal.

I see a bright false stream at 162.51, and several other false streams left and right on the display.

Is my dongle faulty or is this common? I see the same results using HDSDR and SDR#.

Thanks, Tom

Flatliner

That's what you can expect from a pimped-up $5 dongle.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Got my first VHF/UHF dongle, nooelec smart.

Running 10' extension USB cable and then about 20' of coax to a discone in the attic. First thing I noticed are false images on the display on strong signals.

Ex: weather on 162.55 with S9+20 signal.

I see a bright false stream at 162.51, and several other false streams left and right on the display.

Is my dongle faulty or is this common? I see the same results using HDSDR and SDR#.

Thanks, Tom

You know you can adjust the gain in software and any radio is going to overload if signals are too strong. Of course there are better radios but too strong will affect all of them. Adjust the gain down until the signal is manageable or, if you are close to the 162.55 (and some of those are 1000 W), you will need a notch for any receiver. Personally I recommend AirSpy but SDRPlay is better for some users.

R7000

Thanks for the info. I'll play with this one a bit and then upgrade in the future.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.