RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 4:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I went to start SDRSharp and got an error message

This is on a Dell Inspiron 15-3541 laptop OS Win7 Home 32bit. SDRSharp was already setup, tuned up and working fine on this laptop. I started the laptop this evening as I normally do and turning on the external USB devices at the right time in sequence like I always do. The laptop is working just fine.
I went to start the SDRSharp and I got an error message saying that SDRSharp had to shut down, See the screen capture jpg picture bellow. I don't know whats going on. I del SDRSharp and reinstalled it and I still get the same error message. The only thing that I haven't done is uninstall the dongel drivers and reinstall with zadig_2.2.exe. I am stumped. Only SDRSharp is effected. Everything else is fine. I am typing this post on this very same Dell laptop.

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by steve-kc7byp; 05-15-2018 at 4:21 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2018, 7:33 AM

Is it possible that you have recently added a program lately to you computer or updated your window O/S?

I added a program to my computer and after adding it SDRSharp would only run from my desktop icon by signing in with Adimin privileges. I delete the program and now SDRSharp runs from the desktop without signing in as administrator, go figure. So I am thinking maybe it is a security issue?

I have the exact same setup on another ( older Dell ) laptop, everything is the same on both laptops but on the older laptop I don't have the sign in with admin privileges just with my newer laptop.

MB .

Last edited by moonbounce; 05-15-2018 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-15-2018, 6:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default i tryed to start SDRSharp and got an error message

Thanks for the info Moonbounce I will look into that and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post
Is it possible that you have recently added a program lately to you computer or updated your window O/S?

I added a program to my computer and after adding it SDRSharp would only run from my desktop icon by signing in with Adimin privileges. I delete the program and now SDRSharp runs from the desktop without signing in as administrator, go figure. So I am thinking maybe it is a security issue?

I have the exact same setup on another ( older Dell ) laptop, everything is the same on both laptops but on the older laptop I don't have the sign in with admin privileges just with my newer laptop.

MB .
Old 05-15-2018, 6:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Moonbounce you were 100% right on target. That was the problem. But now SDRSharp isn't seeing the dongle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbounce View Post

MB .
Old 05-15-2018, 7:56 PM

Have you re-installed Zadig?
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-kc7byp View Post
Moonbounce you were 100% right on target. That was the problem. But now SDRSharp isn't seeing the dongle.

What is the message you are getting now? I would also suggest installing the driver again through Zadig. Also maybe reboot the computer, Then run Zadig, if that doesn't work, you will need to go through all the steps you would normally go through when you first installed SDRSharp. After I uninstalled the program that was causing the problem I rebooted my computer and SDRSharp ran with no problem.

MB
Old 05-15-2018, 8:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

not yet. I got side tracked with house chores and pet chores. I will get to it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM82557 View Post
Have you re-installed Zadig?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sharp is now seeing the dongle and it is working. I have to do a bit of tweaking on Sharp. Even with the new outside magmount antenna on my window air conditioning unit only the very strong FM broadcast stations are coming in.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am not doing something right. The nearest NOAA station is in Richland, Wa on 162.450mhz. That is only a few miles from me. I can hear the NOAA station on a cheap hand held scanner with a rubber duck antenna and a 5 by 9 signal report. I can't find NOAA anywhere in the freq range of 162.450 on Sharp

Correction I think I hear NOAA very faintly at 162.487mhz. It is so faint that I am not sure if I am hearing things that aren't there.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I forgot to add the attached file bellow.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2018, 11:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Did you set the gain in SDR#?

Also the original issue could have been a Windows update fracked the driver.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The RF gain is at 1/2 way up the scale. That's the best gain without going into overdrive and distortion. As for the original issue. I keep the Windows update on manual. It tells me if an update is due but Windows can't download the update or install it without me manually pressing OK. It could have been some other program though. If I remember right I had to do something with the IF bandwith or IF gain. I just don't remember and all my note files are gone when the D hard drive in the external USB case crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Did you set the gain in SDR#?

Also the original issue could have been a Windows update fracked the driver.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

here is a screen capture.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-kc7byp View Post
here is a screen capture.
Try clicking the RTL AGC box..
Old 05-16-2018, 7:52 AM

The latest version of SDR# is 1666. You can download it from https://airspy.com/. That might help. I've also noticed, the local NOAA signals vary here in New Orleans. Check the RR database for a local Control Channel, eg: police, fire, etc. They are easier to use to verify signal strength.
Old 05-18-2018, 7:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Pinkfish. The nearest NOAA weather radio station to me is "Richland, Wa, WWF56 on 162.450mhz @ 300 watts" the transmitter is on top of the Federal building (a 6 story building). I can get a 5 by 9 signal on my Bofang UV-5RA ht with the short stubby rubber duck antenna inside the radio shack.
No go on using fire or police. The Cities of Kennewick and Richland plus Benton county are on the project 25 digital mode. I have never yet got Sharp to decode the project 25 digital mode. the city of Pasco and Franklyn county are still on analog transmission but there is talk of merging Benton and Franklyn county's into 1 dispatch center under the project 25 mode. Now there is a free windows based program that let's me hear over the internet what a remote base scanner in my city that picks up the proj 25 transmissions the link is https://www.proscan.org/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfish457 View Post
The latest version of SDR# is 1666. You can download it from https://airspy.com/. That might help. I've also noticed, the local NOAA signals vary here in New Orleans. Check the RR database for a local Control Channel, eg: police, fire, etc. They are easier to use to verify signal strength.