CHIRP Software Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have heard about this CHIRP software.

Have read their site, but am still confused.

Will it run on a Mac with a Dongle ?

Pros and cons compared to Cubic ?

Anyone suggest a good Dongle to buy for under $40.00 ?

These seem to be so many out there these days.

Besides HF coverage, would like it also to cover vhf/uhf.

Thanks,
B.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think you're mixing apples and oranges and coming out with sour grapefruits, heh. CHIRP has nothing to do with SDRs per se - it's for some el cheapo budget transceivers and ham radios.

I'll let those with the SDR dongles speak up - I haven't gone one (yet)...Mike

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know CHIRP is programming software, not SDR software. Works OK for programming radios like Baofengs. I had a problem with it on a Yaesu FT70D. It would not program memory banks.

Going back to the SDR issue. I have an SDRplay and use Cubic on a Mac. Works fine. I can't speak for the dongle type SDR's. Judging by threads on RR you get what you pay for. Try to read reviews and threads on RR.

I think for most people coverage of VHF/UHF and especially digital and trunking modes is better done with a dedicated scanner. Yes, they are many time more expensive, but they are a much better solution.

For serious HF use a dedicated receiver is the best solution, but again much more expensive. A good antenna will be critical too.

Last edited:

K7MFC

WRAA720
it's for some el cheapo budget transceivers and ham radios.

Not just for certain cheapo radios; CHIRP also claims to support quite a few radios made by Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu:

Supported Radios - CHIRP

CHIRP will run on Mac and Linux, in addition to Windows. But otherwise yeah, CHIRP is not a software defined radio application.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Have heard about this CHIRP software.

Have read their site, but am still confused.

Will it run on a Mac with a Dongle ?

Pros and cons compared to Cubic ?

Anyone suggest a good Dongle to buy for under $40.00 ?

These seem to be so many out there these days.

Besides HF coverage, would like it also to cover vhf/uhf.

Thanks,
B.
You are looking for a receiver to use with your Mac. You are looking for two things:

1. The software - Gqrx - I use this with a Mac Mini. It is free.
Download Gqrx SDR – Gqrx SDR

2. The SDR dongle - RTL-SDR $28 (Below 24 MHz it tunes using direct sampling mode. I am unsure if Gqrx provides that option as I do not use it for HF.)
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog...qid=1541445886&sr=8-3&keywords=rtl-sdr+dongle

That will get you started for some upper HF and VHF/UHF stuff. The antenna for HF is a different matter. Search and read through the forum. Much will depend on where and how you plan to operate which will guide you on what antenna would work.

nated1992

In my experience if you go with a cheaper SDR look for one with a SMA connector for the antenna.

There are some really cheap ones with this pop in style connector and i feel like it was a waste of $15. But i have and use two of the blue like $25 dollar style with SMA connections and im very happy with my budget p25 scanners ;]

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Native RTL-SDRs don't cover much of HF as far as I know. They start around 25 Mhz which, frankly is little used right now. CBers and 10 Meter hams at 28-29 Mhz and that's really about it.

You would probably do much better with one of the SDRPlays, frankly. There are others, of course, and we cover many of them here...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

This article is likely nowhere near complete - the SDR world is changing too fast - but it's a good place to start.

Mike

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Native RTL-SDRs don't cover much of HF as far as I know. They start around 25 Mhz which, frankly is little used right now. CBers and 10 Meter hams at 28-29 Mhz and that's really about it.

You would probably do much better with one of the SDRPlays, frankly. There are others, of course, and we cover many of them here...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

This article is likely nowhere near complete - the SDR world is changing too fast - but it's a good place to start.

Mike
There are a few inexpensive RTL-SDRs that include connections to the "Direct Sample" RF input of the tuner. The following is an example of one allows 500 kHz - 24 MHz reception with direct sampling mode.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

These will not perform as well as the SDR's that are designed for HF but under the right conditions, they can work surprisingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.