Gwd City/County radio type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny864

I have a RS Pro-164 Scanner im trying to figure out what system Gwd City/County use. is it Motorola, LTR, or EDAS? I would like to know because im searching for TGID's thanks for the help :)

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I have a RS Pro-164 Scanner im trying to figure out what system Gwd City/County use. is it Motorola, LTR, or EDAS? I would like to know because im searching for TGID's thanks for the help :)

You are only going to hear SCHP and maybe a few other statewide agencies on pal800, all of greenwood is still Conventional (CIty and County) Greenwood County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference is the BD

but keep the 164, they are joining the pal800 later this year, hopefully analog but not sure yet, depends on budget...

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
You are only going to hear SCHP and maybe a few other statewide agencies on pal800, all of greenwood is still Conventional (CIty and County) ... but keep the 164, they are joining the pal800 later this year, hopefully analog but not sure yet, depends on budget...

Although Greenwood County and City primary communications are still on conventional UHF and VHF, at a minimum the law enforcement dispatchers, EOC personnel and the emergency room at Self Memorial all have access to the Palmetto 800 system.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the State Budget and Control Board is no longer establishing any new talkgroups on the Palmetto 800 system that ARE NOT digital. Sure would be counter-productive when the system is being upgraded to digital.

If the Pro 164 is within the 30-day return period, I would consider returning it. It's shelf-life for monitoring public safety in S.C. is already limited. Take a look at the Palmetto 800 database for the counties surrounding Greenwood, and notice how many of the listener identified talkgroups are digital.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
So, today, you should have no trouble monitoring the agencies mentioned with the PRO-164 because they're still using VHF and UHF conventional, which just about any scanner on the market can handle. You can also listen to any agencies currently using analog talkgroups on Palmetto 800, including SCHP - the PRO-164 is capable of that.

Where you might run into trouble is whenever these agencies decide to switch from VHF and UHF Conventional to a trunked system, most likely Palmetto 800 (or even Palmetto P25?). At that point, you'll probably be out of luck as it is highly likely they'll be using digital talkgroups, that the PRO-164 cannot receive.

If these agencies make that switch sooner rather than later (Caesar says "later this year"), you will have spent $$$ on a scanner that quickly becomes useless to you. Alternatively, you could return it an apply that money toward a digital scanner which would "protect your investment" to some extent by being capable of receiving those digital talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.