Scanning Palmeto800 with Analog Trunking Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

Hey. I was wondering if it possible to monitor the analog tg's on Palmetto with a pro163? I know alot of the tg's are digital, but for the ones that are not, would this be possible?

Thanks for the input.

LarrySC

Yes. Actually most of the state agencys are analog along with the Hwy Patrol. I find most digital being used by local sheriff/police. Where are you located.???

vinzep491

Columbia area.

So do the digital tg's still appear on the analog scanner and are just not comprehendable, or do they not show up at all? I'm unfarmiliar with mixed analog/dig systems.

Thanks for you help

LarrySC

I dont program in the "open" mode therefore digital ID's are not an issue. You can try an open mode search and see what happens.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Columbia area.

So do the digital tg's still appear on the analog scanner and are just not comprehendable, or do they not show up at all? I'm unfarmiliar with mixed analog/dig systems.

Thanks for you help

Correct. The digital groups will pop up and sound like a diesel engine on your radio. That assumes you've programmed it to scan digital talkgroups.

You can take one of two approaches - program the analog groups and scan in closed mode as Larry indicated. Or program the digital groups you expect to hear on the site or sites you're scanning and lock them all out, then put the bank in open mode to get all the analog groups. You'll probably want alpha-tags for the analog groups, so the first approach is probably best.

vinzep491

update and new scanner

Ok. i got a pro107 to expand my lisening capabilities, and programmed it manually. i included what i would think would be the obvious control channels into the 32 available slots on a 106 when programming on your own. the problem is that i'm having trouble getting a good signal. Its adverage as i drive arround columbia, and i get no good control signals in my house near the columbiana mall.

what could be the problem? i dont want to think i'm stupid, but what would the obvious CC's be that should give me a good signalat my location? I thought i got all of my local tower sites, but then again, I'm new to this area and maybe i'm missing something? all i can tell you all is that there is absolutly zero readable signals in my house, and a BARELY readable signal as i'm driving. its almost so bad its not worth listening too. i'm using the default rubber antenna, but still, shouldnt i be able to hear SOMETHING in the middle of columbia?!

Thanks

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Ok. i got a pro107 to expand my lisening capabilities, and programmed it manually. i included what i would think would be the obvious control channels into the 32 available slots on a 106 when programming on your own. the problem is that i'm having trouble getting a good signal. Its adverage as i drive arround columbia, and i get no good control signals in my house near the columbiana mall.

what could be the problem? i dont want to think i'm stupid, but what would the obvious CC's be that should give me a good signalat my location? I thought i got all of my local tower sites, but then again, I'm new to this area and maybe i'm missing something? all i can tell you all is that there is absolutly zero readable signals in my house, and a BARELY readable signal as i'm driving. its almost so bad its not worth listening too. i'm using the default rubber antenna, but still, shouldnt i be able to hear SOMETHING in the middle of columbia?!

Thanks

Do you have the program cable/software so you could either upload your file here for us to check or download one we uploaded?

If not I am also in columbia area and could possibly meet up with you if needed. I'd bring the laptop/software/cable and we'll have you running quick. :)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
For control channels near Columbiana, I'd say your best bet is 860.3375 Site 30 Richland Simulcast and 860.4875 Site 44 Harbison. 860.2625 Site 20 Lexington Simulcast should boom in also.

I'm not familiar with the operation of the PRO-107, but is there a way to hold on a CC frequency and have it show the decoding percentage? That's the way to confirm that you are or are not adequately receiving a site's control chanel.

If you can hold on those three frequencies and don't hear anything, try the attenuator. Perhaps your radio is being overloaded by a strong nearby transmitter, like a Nextel tower, an FM or TV transmitter, or a hospital paging system. Try taking the antenna off - crazy but some times it works.

Post back what you find.

vinzep491

Thanks for the help. I finally got the 106 programmed right.

Could anyone give me step by step instructions on how to prgram palmetto800 into a pro163/164 analog scanner? I cant figure it out... i dont understand how you input the frequecies and the manual isnt too clear.

sorry about all of my issues!

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I finally got the 106 programmed right.

Could anyone give me step by step instructions on how to prgram palmetto800 into a pro163/164 analog scanner? I cant figure it out... i dont understand how you input the frequecies and the manual isnt too clear.

sorry about all of my issues!

Mark's Scanners

just use the Pro97/2055 manual, pretty much the exact same...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
In the PRO-164/163, you have 10 scan banks to work with. Each scan bank can contain up to 1000 frequencies and 150 talkgroups (separated into 5 ID subbanks of 30 talkgroups each.)

Select the Palmetto 800 sites you would like to scan and program their control channels into empty channels in a bank. Set each channel to MOT mode. If you would like the scanner to scan each site on each pass through the bank, leave a frequency in FM mode in between each control channel frequency programmed (30.000 or 1300.000 are typical ones I use.) While in PROG mode, press TRUNK, select MOT system type, and program the talkgroups you're interested in scanning. Press SCAN. While in scan mode in the bank you just programmed, press FUNCT+DELAY to toggle Open and Closed modes.

This is infinitely easier with programming software. Win97 is what I prefer for these models.

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Listening Help Anderson / Honea Path Area

Group,

This is my first posting in the group. Forgive me is I ask an already answered question.

My primary listen area is the Anderson / Honea Path area. I have a Uniden BC 235 Analog Trunk Tracking Scanner. It listens in both Conventional and Trunking mode. (Not at the same time).

I have programed in the Anderson Frequencies listed on the Palmetto 800 system for anderson county.
However, about the only talk group I pick up is 21136 (Troop 3A SCHP). Here is a list of the frequencies I have programed in my Scanner:

859.43750a
859.98750a
860.96250c

I would like to listen to the Honea Path PD, but cannot seem to pick them up.

Question: Is the PD system for Honea Path a digital system? This would explain it.

I can pick Honea Path Fire on 158.805 Conventional.

Any and all help appreciated regarding frequencies.

Thanks,
TigerScan2000

LarrySC

Anderson Co and City are now on the Project 25 9600baud Digital system. Details in this database when you get a digital scanner. Small towns in Anderson are still on the Pal 800. I hear Belton and West Pelzer on Pal 800, BUT, I dont know about or hear Honea Path.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I have programed in the Anderson Frequencies listed on the Palmetto 800 system for anderson county.

However, about the only talk group I pick up is 21136 (Troop 3A SCHP). Here is a list of the frequencies I have programed in my Scanner:

I would like to listen to the Honea Path PD, but cannot seem to pick them up.

Question: Is the PD system for Honea Path a digital system?

The RadioReference database shows Honea Path using a digital talkgroup on the Palmetto 800 system. The BC235 can decode the control data, but not the P25 modulation.

You may also want to enter the SCHP dispatch talkgroup in the BC235 with both the standard, and the altered talkgroup I-D variation for multi-select mode. Sometimes, SCHP dispatch may have the talkgroup patched with another dispatch talkgroup, which alters the I-D. If you don't have the altered I-D included in your scan list, you may be missing communications during some shifts ... especially during the overnight,

LarrySC

For a newbie to try and use the Anderson Co 800 data is all for naught. There is no incorperated town named "Pelzer" in AND Co and the town of Pendleton folded up over a year ago. With the changeover for some services to P-25 it really needs an update. At least one of the old sheriff ID's has been assigned to Life Flight chopper. Retag Pelzer as WEST Pelzer which is really a town. Some of the ID's on the Pal 800 in Anderson are simulcast on the Paris Mtn tower and it could be that Honea Path is not.

TigerScan2000

Premium Subscriber
Anderson County EMS to AnMed

Back in the dark ages, Anderson EMS used 155.350 to call into AnMed to alert with a patient arrival / condition during transport.

I am still able to pickup Anderson County EMS on 155.220, but no longer hear any traffic on 155.350.

Is this on the Palmetto 800 talkgroups as well now.

Looks like my future will involve the purchase of a Digital Trunk Tracker.

Again, thanks for all the help.

TigerScan2000
BC235, BC60

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Back in the dark ages, Anderson EMS used 155.350 to call into AnMed to alert with a patient arrival / condition during transport.

I am still able to pickup Anderson County EMS on 155.220, but no longer hear any traffic on 155.350.

155.350 is not a valid frequency.

Possibly you mean 155.340 or 155.385 MHz. Both frequencies have been used by Anderson Co medical units in the past (151.4 Hz PL tone).

Status
Not open for further replies.