Another Highway Patrol question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDelta10

I'm currently listening to the Charleston/Berkeley and Dorchester/Colleton SCHP channels. Anybody know If it's possible for me to get the Highway Patrols channels for Georgetown and Beaufort counties? If I can't get them with a regular 800 Mhz. Antenna, will I be able to if I buy one of those big special roof antennas? If I buy one of those, what's the furthest a good one will get me? Will it reach to the upstate?
I don't know why but I've been obsessed with listening to the Highway Patrol lately. If I were to become a Police Officer, I'd love to become a Trooper. I'm too soft hearted to write tickets though!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
It depends on which sites you're listening to. The SCHP Dispatch channels are only carried on sites where the troopers have affiliated with the site. So, if you're in Charleston and monitoring Site 9 Hagood, you're probably not going to hear the dispatch groups for Georgetown or Beaufort since there are no troopers in the area covered by Site 9 listening to those groups.

I'd be pretty surprised if you could get routine reception of Site 39 Georgetown or Site 33 Yemassee from your location even with a high antenna. Certainly you can during the occasional band openings. Site 10 Canadys might be a possibility and it might carry some SCHP from Beaufort.

Another option is to monitor the live feed of the Troop 5 talkgroups here on RR. You'll get Georgetown/Williamsburg, Florence/Darlington and Horry on that.

bpalmer

If you can receive Site 33 in Yemmassee you should be able to hear SCHP in Beaufort and Jasper Counties. Quite often they are patched with Walterboro and Dorchester County using Chalreston as the dispatch office (everyone around here uses Charleston) You can sometimes hear off the Yemassee tower SCHP through Hampton to Akien County. Beaufort SCHP is on TG 30096 Sometimes on Walterborro/Dorcjester TG29968

Site 33 is a wide ranging tower at about 400 feet high and easily travels the better then 25 miles to Beaufort

Status
Not open for further replies.