Duke Energy in Carolina Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckinscan

Feed Provider
Those who have listen to Duke Engery in the Past well you will now need a Digital Scanner to listen to them again. as they have switch to a Digital Transimission.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can confirm that the Motorola control channels for the systems in Greenville, Spartanburg and Polk are still active. But I scanned the Spartanburg system quite a bit today and didn't hear a peep on it.

I can also confirm what sounds to me like Opensky control data channels on numerous frequencies in the area. These are new in the last month or so, I'd say. Frequencies with this sound include 858.3375, which has long been the Duke MDT (rdlap) channel in Spartanburg, as well as 854.9625, a voice channel for the local Duke Motorola TRS in Spartanburg.

Opensky was mentioned in a thread in the NC forum back in the Spring as the type of system Duke was implementing. If that is indeed the type of system being implemented, no scanner (digital or otherwise) can scan it or decode its audio.

I can also confirm that radios inside several Duke Energy vehicles I have seen recently have the Harris brand name displayed on them.

I'd say the days of monitoring Duke Energy in SC are quickly ending if they aren't over already.

mckinscan

Feed Provider
I`m going missed monitor Duke Energy in Winter Time when it is power outage. near me.and i guess that will prevent the Duke Customers with Scanners from Listening to them to find out their location.

qball

Premium Subscriber
OpenSky

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I can confirm that it is a Harris OpenSky network that Duke is implementing.

Even though it is different than than the Motorola networks that I am used to, it is a pretty impressive network. They have added a number of sites that did not exist on the SmartZone network of old. I am sure they will have better coverage. There are sites spread from the GA border in SC to the Raleigh area...including the central NC area up to the VA state line. The digital audio quality is pretty darn good too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.