RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > South Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

South Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of South Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 1:18 PM

Default HP-1 and Palmetto (Project 25) monitoring

Is anyone else using the Uniden HomePatrol in the lowcountry? Mine doesn't seem to recieve signal on the Project 25 system...
PRO-97
PRO-2052(x2)
YB400 PE
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 1:47 PM
DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Where exactly are you located? The active towers are in the Charleston, Beaufort and Anderson Co areas. While there is a tower located and active in Columbia, there have not be any reports of voice activity on that site.
Old 03-11-2013, 2:02 PM

I'm in the Cola area, but spend a lot of time in Chas/ Summerville and am only recieving Pal 800, NWS, and various others. I have yet to pick anything up from Project 25 even though it is in the scan list...
PRO-97
PRO-2052(x2)
YB400 PE
Old 03-12-2013, 8:09 AM
DB Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

When you're in Charleston, are you receiving any radio traffic from any Charleston-area public safety agency, such as any Charleston Co FD, EMS, CCSO, North Charleston PD, Charleston PD, etc? If so, you're receiving traffic on the Palmetto P25 system.

You likely won't hear anything on the system in the Collumbia area.

If you don't receive any Charleston area public safety agencies on the HP-1, we need to look into why it's not activating that system properly on your radio.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:43 PM

Tried again this AM, no luck. Seems to pick up everything else though...
PRO-97
PRO-2052(x2)
YB400 PE
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My HP-1 Picks up the P25 system great here in the upstate and down in Charleston. I've never tried in Columbia. Sounds like an antenna, or settings issue.
Old 04-15-2013, 8:50 PM

Default Is Palmetto (Project 25) encrypted?

Hello,

I am new to RadioReference.com and have just purchased a Uniden BCD396XT and am hoping that in Charleston,if the Palmetto (Project 25) is encrypted. If not, does anyone know if it is going to be, in the near future. I did hear that it was very expensive to implement.
Old 04-16-2013, 2:37 AM

not at this time its not but they do have some encrypted talkgroups also I have heard from a very good source that Florence county may be going p 25 in the near future they are trying to get the funding together to do it
Old 04-16-2013, 8:11 AM
DB Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I assume that you meant to say "I am hoping that in Charleston, the Palmetto P25 is NOT encrypted."

Encryption is done on a talkgroup-by-talkgroup basis, and even radio-by-radio basis. Sometimes you may hear a conversation with one side encrypted, and the other in the clear.

At this time, a relatively few number of talkgroups in the Charleston area are encrypted. You'll find most agencies are in the clear. That decision is typically made at the agency level, not at the system level.

Any agency in Charleston Co could opt to encrypt at any time. The cost would depend on the options that were purchased for their subscriber radios at the time of purchase. If they purchased the encryption option originally, the cost to implement it might be pretty low. If not, you're correct that it would be relatively expensive and time consuming to implement.

I believe that, unless something notable changes, most agencies will not soon encrypt, since they didn't opt for encryption when they migrated to this system 4-5 years ago. That might be wishful thinking on my part.
Sponsored links