florence county radio system update

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like Florence county is getting closer to going on line with the new digital radio system the 2 new towers are up and all of the sheriffs dept units and Florence city pd and ems units have been switched out it may already be operational I was just wondering though I know its going to a p 25 phase 2 system what does the data channel sound like I have been getting a funny data sound on 856-7625 and it pretty strong but it doesn't sound like the normal data control channel sound on 3600 baud or 9600 baud systems so if anyone has any suggestions on what this might be

KE4SZT

Florence county will be using Phase 1 and will be a 6 site simulcast on the Palmetto 800 P25 system, just like Anderson and Charleston. As of earlier this week, no base equipment was operational. It should be fully functional within the next month.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I passed through Florence Co. this weekend. 856.7625 sounded like a CAD data channel to me, I hear a number of those active in the upstate area. I think they're used by older-style MDT systems, likely RD-LAP format. I don't know that for certain, but that frequency is certainly not a trunked radio data channel.

ok well thanks for the input I just didn't know for sure and from what I had heard Florence was going to be on their own system and not on the pal 800 unless something has changed

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Palmetto 800 is not the same as Palmetto P25, though they are administered by the same people at a high level.

Palmetto P25 is the "new" (many years old now) P25 overlay system for the state. It will eventually replace Palmetto 800.

But the system it sounds like Florence will be moving to is a completely new system with new hardware. My guess is that Florence is paying for most of the system and will administer it themselves, so in that sense it's "their own system."

However, unlike the existing Florence trunked radio system which stands alone by itself (not tied to any other system), the new Florence system will be tied to the existing systems in Charleston, Beaufort, Anderson and Richland Counties. Just like in Charleston, Beaufort and Anderson, the system in Florence will operate as a separate system, but it will share a System ID (1D9) and connect into the "big switch" that the state administers that will allow for interoperability. That won't mean a lot right now, but as Palmetto P25 is expanded to cover the rest of the state, it will become very important. Tying into and coordinating with the state will help everyone in the long run.

another update on the new radio system for Florence county it has went on line as of today at 10 am this morning the cc was 859-6875 and the is for the cc are to 115 bee00 and sy I d9

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks for this information. I have added this site to the Palmetto P25 database. More updates are forthcoming. Please post when you begin hearing voice traffic on this site.

another update on the new system here in Florence it was up and running all day today kept hearing radio testing on talkgroup 04551 and 4653 4501 and 27050 and there are a couple of other talkgroups that I have wrote down I will get them tomorrow when I get back to work but so far what I have heard has been in the clear and im keeping fingers crossed that it does stay clear

another update on Florence system its now up and running with a few bugs the counties public works and environmental services and mag office constables are the only ones on it so far I live onlya mile from the main tower in Effingham and I cant hardly pick the system up with my pro 96 or my 106 or with the new scanner I just got even my radio in my truck is very spotty I hope they get it right soon

Florence county has now almost completely switched over to the new system with all of the law enforcement making the switch this morning and they are all encrypted with the exception of the mag office constables and public works the jail and the area fire depts. and ems

KE4SZT

I saw on their Facebook page earlier where law enforcement switched today, EMS on Wed and fire on Thurs. Hate that law enforcement encrypted ALL their talk groups. Wish they could have at least left the dispatch channels in the clear. System sounds goods otherwise here in Marion.

yep that would have been nice but at least I can hear my dept and the constables and the env officers and yeah it does sound pretty good I have heard bit to conway

Status
Not open for further replies.