Palmetto 800 Site 1 (Palmetto Center)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcjrsc

I haven't been able to pick up a control channel from site 1 for the last few days, and I have noticed that some of the state agencies talk groups that were carried on site 1 are showing up on Site 30 (Richland), Site 20 (Lexington) and Site 44 (Harbison). I assume that Site 1 is either off the air, and possibly been absorbed by the above sites, or is running very low power. My work QTH is about 2 miles from the Palmetto Center so I should be able to pick it up from the roof and I haven't been able to. I don't have the capability to monitor the data stream directly right now, so I don't know if 20, 30 and 44 are still showing 1 as a neighbor site or not.

evan

Database Admin
I believe it is off the air. It is not being listed as a neighbor to Cell 20, 30 or 44. It wouldn't surprise me if those frequencies and cell number pop up in another area around the state.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Technically isn't site/cell 1 nieghbors to ALL the sites/cells on the net? :lol:

evan

Database Admin
milf said:
Technically isn't site/cell 1 nieghbors to ALL the sites/cells on the net? :lol:
No, each cell broadcasts up to 7 adjacent neighboring cells that are advertised to the radios affililiated with that cell. The radio can then check for stronger reception from the neighbor cells so that it can affiliate with those cells if signal strength decreases enough on the cell with which it is currently affiliated.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Cool.. but I was being humorous.. Oh btw.. Palnet has only one zone correct? One ID for the whole system. I was wondering why Moto never set up multiple controllers and zones, like NC is doing with the VIPER. Currently untill construction is finished the VIPER is only running under one.. but should be going to full 3 by fall. How does the Palnet handle the massive traffic load with only the one controller?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
milf said:
Cool.. but I was being humorous.. Oh btw.. Palnet has only one zone correct? One ID for the whole system. I was wondering why Moto never set up multiple controllers and zones, like NC is doing with the VIPER. Currently untill construction is finished the VIPER is only running under one.. but should be going to full 3 by fall. How does the Palnet handle the massive traffic load with only the one controller?

Interesting milf...myself and many others have identified 3 different System IDs (Zone Controllers) in current use for the NC VIPER system...all 3 are listed in the database...might want to update your info...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes.. but for the most of NC the VIPER is only running one controler till the entire system is online.. Kinda wierd.. but thats the way its set up currently. The entiore WNC net is under the central controller, and many others are reporting that most of the system is also. A few sites are on ID 2 and 3... According to the Moto shop here when the entire state is up,.. and ALL the cells go active after testing.. Then the full 3 way split will go on. This has also been noted on the VIPER page here. :) Anyway back to whats up with the Palnet...

Status
Not open for further replies.