heard my first digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

OK....I knnow you SC listeners have been hearing digital for some time, but living in Asheville I haven't heard squat. I had to take a Charleston trip recently and I took my Pro-96 with me. I programmed in the towers all along I-26 and hit every one of them. The Columbia tower was down (as was posted in a previous thread). I heard radio traffic that had an almost synthetic sound and it was digital (DG appeared in the top right corner). The only real digital traffic I picked up was on med channels. I was driving the whole time so I didn't get to log and talk ID's. Anyway, I'll be headed down to the Anderson hamfest soon and I'll be able to log some ID's.

Take care,

Mike
AF4AY

grcjrsc

Agreed CPD digital is bad, but Forest Acres dispatch radio is the worst. It sounds like some one is running a shower in the background. The IMBE VOCODER doesn't handle background noise well at all. CPD, FAPD, and the other digital talkgroups on P-800 all sound rough, when I was up in CT and monitored CT State Police and Wallingford PD who are trunked 800 digital and conventional 800 digital it wasn't any better.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
At least so far from what little monitoring of Digital Testing,.. and of actual Digital on the VIPER which is basically the same as the Palmetto 800, and monitoring of the AWIN on a friend's PRO-96 when I traveled... They all sound pretty dang good on digital... any clues as to why the palmetto 800 has issues on the digital???

rmquinn3419

Premium Subscriber
I think that digital on palmetto 800 sounds pretty good at least with Chester Co. SD, except that the audio can be really low at times.

grcjrsc

I don't know that P800 digital per se is any worse or better than any others, and I agree that the digital sounds good as long as their is no background noise and the person talking isn't too close or too far from the microphone. This would explain while the testing always sounds really good. The digital I heard up in CT sounded the same as P800 really clear under good conditions, and really poor as soon as the background noise level increased. The problem is that most public saftey incidents and a fair number of large dispatch centers aren't ideal conditions, so it creates poor audio. The International Assoication of Fire Chief's has apparently noticed as well and is seeking information from the fire service community in reference to this condition. See the link below for their information.

http://firechief.com/news/iafc_radio03202007/

Status
Not open for further replies.