GPS speed enforcement in S.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Recently, a friend of mine was stopped, and cited, for speeding by the South Carolina Highway Patrol. She was travelling in a pack of vehicles, approximately five vehicles and she was in the middle of them, when the officer stopped her for going 74 m.p.h. in a 70 m.p.h. speed zone. You did read that correctly..... 74 m.p.h. in a 70 m.p.h. speed zone. During the stop she asked the officer how he was able to determine her speed and he told her that he tracked her via the G.P.S. in HER vehicle. The vehicle she was driving was a 2004 Toyota Forerunner. She told the officer that she didn't have G.P.S. in her vehicle and argued with him about it to the point that he threatened to arrest her for being disorderly. Now, this friend of mine does not own a G.P.S., has not had one installed in her vehicle, and was/is not aware of one being installed in her vehicle. Coincidently, her vehicle was the only one in the pack of five that had Georgia plates displayed on it.

Has anyone heard of this type of thechnology being used by law enforcement for speed enforcement? If she didn't have G.P.S. installed on her vehicle how can she be tracked via G.P.S.? Do the newer vehicles have a G.P.S. module installed on them for this purpose and the average consumer in unaware of them? Is there a way to disable the device if they are installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer? What are the legalities of law enforcement using these onboard devices to track and charge citizens with a crime?

I'm very pro constitution for the citizenry of this country and to me this seems to border on violations of the fifth amendment. I say this because, if a person unknowingly buys a vehicle with a G.P.S. device installed for the purpose of speed tracking then that person is being compelled to incriminate themselves without their knowledge. To me, the person that owns the vehicle also owns the G.P.S. device on board and no one should be able to use the data from it without their permission. Does this sound too much like Big Brother or am I being paranoid? I'm very interested in any thoughts and opinions you folks have. My friend is going to court to fight the citation BTW.

N

N_Jay

My guess is either the officer did not understand how the speed measuring equipment in the patrol car works, OR did not know how to explain it, OR your friend did not understand what was being explained by the officer.

My guess is that all three factors were in play.

N

N_Jay

turbo77577 said:
people would not buy anynewer car then a 1999 if they knew all that the computers on them can do. there are 3 to 5 pc in the new ones

Hu?:roll:

N

N_Jay

scover5555 said:
Check out what they have been doing. Doesn't Onstar have GPS capability? http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm

I think a surveillance request from the FBI is a bit different than what a Podunk sheriff (and or SCHP) can do.

Yes, On-Star has GPS (Duh, like how else does it get location information in am emergency or to give you directions).

No, a police car can not tap into it to get your location or speed.
Yes, I know what I am talking about.
No, I will not concede to the next post that say he knows better.
Yes, "anything" is possible.
No, that does not mean the SCHP could have really been monitoring the persons speed with the GPS in the speeders car.
Yes, I really do know what I an talking about.
No, I did not call you stupid.
Yes, you are the one proving you are stupid.

There, that should take care of the entire thread without further posts.

obijohn

N_Jay said:
My guess is either the officer did not understand how the speed measuring equipment in the patrol car works, OR did not know how to explain it, OR your friend did not understand what was being explained by the officer.

My guess is that all three factors were in play.

The officer DID NOT "monitor" any on board GPS in her car.

N_Jay summed it up best.

Tell her good luck in court from all of us here at "RR".

SCPD

QRT
I was hoping to get some adult answers for a legitimate question but it seems that I went to the wrong website. Yes, my friend DID understand what the officer was telling her and NO it wasn't a "head start" on April Fools Day. She has a degree in computer science and works for a three letter agency at Fort Gordon so I don't have any doubt that she understood what the officer was telling her. When I was in law enforcement the only speed detection devices we used were stationary/moving radar and Lidar. I was asking a legitimate question because this was the first I've heard of this type of speed detection and I was hoping someone could enlighten us all. Maybe I should keep my bull**** questions to myself or find another group of people that has the capability of answering questions properly...... Some people are afraid to admit they're ignorant or just don't know the answer to a question so it's easier for them to poke fun at the person asking the question, right?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
frootydawg said:
I was hoping to get some adult answers for a legitimate question but it seems that I went to the wrong website. Yes, my friend DID understand what the officer was telling her and NO it wasn't a "head start" on April Fools Day. She has a degree in computer science and works for a three letter agency at Fort Gordon so I don't have any doubt that she understood what the officer was telling her. When I was in law enforcement the only speed detection devices we used were stationary/moving radar and Lidar. I was asking a legitimate question because this was the first I've heard of this type of speed detection and I was hoping someone could enlighten us all. Maybe I should keep my bull**** questions to myself or find another group of people that has the capability of answering questions properly...... Some people are afraid to admit they're ignorant or just don't know the answer to a question so it's easier for them to poke fun at the person asking the question, right?

Do us a favor, jump off a bridge.

If you can't take humor, you have issues......

P.S. The above is no gaurentee that she has any sense

2J144

No, SCHP does not use this method of tracking, and I'm not even sure if it's viable option for a budget controlled agency. Perhaps the Trooper was tired of yet another story/arguement for "why me and not the other 5 cars doing the same speed" and just rattled off his response. My suggestion, go to court and tell her side of the story... if it is something new that hasn't been passed on to me, then she'll know... OR the judge will just look at her like she's nuts and she'll pay the fine.

2J144

N

N_Jay

frootydawg said:
I was hoping to get some adult answers for a legitimate question but it seems that I went to the wrong website.

What?

You did not like my answer???:roll:

frootydawg said:
Yes, my friend DID understand what the officer was telling her and NO it wasn't a "head start" on April Fools Day.

Obviously somewhere between what was really happening, what the officer explained, what she understood, and what you presented, all reality was lost. (It could have been 100% the officer, but we will never know)

frootydawg said:
She has a degree in computer science and works for a three letter agency at Fort Gordon so I don't have any doubt that she understood what the officer was telling her.

:lol: Well I guess you have not run across the CS/IT people I have met at "Three Letter Agencies"!:roll: :roll:

frootydawg said:
When I was in law enforcement the only speed detection devices we used were stationary/moving radar and Lidar.
Really? and when was that?
What about VASCAR, and good-old pacing?

frootydawg said:
I was asking a legitimate question because this was the first I've heard of this type of speed detection and I was hoping someone could enlighten us all.
Well, I think if you read the thread a little more carefully with a little less attitude you might get LEGITIMATE answers to your question.

frootydawg said:
Maybe I should keep my bull**** questions to myself or find another group of people that has the capability of answering questions properly
Or maybe you should pay attention to the answers provided.

frootydawg said:
Some people are afraid to admit they're ignorant or just don't know the answer to a question so it's easier for them to poke fun at the person asking the question, right?
And some people are so stuck on their preconceived notion of what the answer should be that they ignore the truth when told.

N

N_Jay

2J144 said:
No, SCHP does not use this method of tracking, and I'm not even sure if it's viable option for a budget controlled agency. Perhaps the Trooper was tired of yet another story/arguement for "why me and not the other 5 cars doing the same speed" and just rattled off his response. My suggestion, go to court and tell her side of the story... if it is something new that hasn't been passed on to me, then she'll know... OR the judge will just look at her like she's nuts and she'll pay the fine.

2J144

Sure go to court.

Nuts or not, the officer does not have to stop every speeder in a group, nor is being in a group of traffic an acceptable excuse.

Tell her to mail in the fine.

benjaminarthurt

Premium Subscriber
relax everyone. I don't think they were asking for legal advice.

As far as a GPS system being installed in a car ratting you out the Police? I don't think that would have remain hidden this long. I am posative this would have received some press coverage as an invasion of privacy. I have known police officers to "dumb down" technology to make things easier, with the popularity of GPS devices in vehicles now a days I wouldn't be surprised if this was that case.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
frootydawg said:
Recently, a friend of mine was stopped, and cited, for speeding by the South Carolina Highway Patrol. She was travelling in a pack of vehicles, approximately five vehicles and she was in the middle of them, when the officer stopped her for going 74 m.p.h. in a 70 m.p.h. speed zone. You did read that correctly..... 74 m.p.h. in a 70 m.p.h. speed zone. During the stop she asked the officer how he was able to determine her speed and he told her that he tracked her via the G.P.S. in HER vehicle. The vehicle she was driving was a 2004 Toyota Forerunner. She told the officer that she didn't have G.P.S. in her vehicle and argued with him about it to the point that he threatened to arrest her for being disorderly. Now, this friend of mine does not own a G.P.S., has not had one installed in her vehicle, and was/is not aware of one being installed in her vehicle. Coincidently, her vehicle was the only one in the pack of five that had Georgia plates displayed on it.

Has anyone heard of this type of thechnology being used by law enforcement for speed enforcement? If she didn't have G.P.S. installed on her vehicle how can she be tracked via G.P.S.? Do the newer vehicles have a G.P.S. module installed on them for this purpose and the average consumer in unaware of them? Is there a way to disable the device if they are installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer? What are the legalities of law enforcement using these onboard devices to track and charge citizens with a crime?

I'm very pro constitution for the citizenry of this country and to me this seems to border on violations of the fifth amendment. I say this because, if a person unknowingly buys a vehicle with a G.P.S. device installed for the purpose of speed tracking then that person is being compelled to incriminate themselves without their knowledge. To me, the person that owns the vehicle also owns the G.P.S. device on board and no one should be able to use the data from it without their permission. Does this sound too much like Big Brother or am I being paranoid? I'm very interested in any thoughts and opinions you folks have. My friend is going to court to fight the citation BTW.

my question is why is she going to fight it if she admits she was 4mph over the limit? she was caught, she should get over it

blinddog50

Look it's really very simple.

Woman traveling by herself.
Out of state tags.
Probably a blond.

Cop feeling frisky today.
Thinking he might get lucky if he pulls her over.

Do the math.
It happens all the time, regardless of which state it is.

benjaminarthurt

Premium Subscriber
Caesar said:
my question is why is she going to fight it if she admits she was 4mph over the limit? she was caught, she should get over it

I would assume its not a matter if she was or was not speeding, but more if everyone else around her was speeding the same as her why is she the one who received the ticket.

Smith29180

I love this...... Reminds me of a saying that all of ours mothers have said to us one time or another.. If all your firends jumped off a bridge would you too? if you are doing something illegal be adult enough to to admit pay the fine and get on with life ..and even 4 mph over is illegal.

N

N_Jay

benjaminarthurt said:
I would assume its not a matter if she was or was not speeding, but more if everyone else around her was speeding the same as her why is she the one who received the ticket.

It does not matter!:roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.