Help for a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawDawg55

Basically I'm relatively new to scanning and pretty much clueless. I bought a Pro-2055 Trunk Tracker scanner yesterday from Radio Shack. The conventional frequencies I don't really have a problem with, but as far as the Trunked talk groups, that's where my not having a clue comes in to play. I programmed in 867.125, and when I have it on MAN and put it in MOT mode most of the Talk groups I'm interested in come up and are Identified, but as far as listening to one particular talk group and blocking out others, how do I do that? And can I program in a talk group w/out the tower frequency? I still haven't been able to find the talk group for Cherokee County yet, but know the ID is 21520. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also for some reason when I have it on Scan, for some reason it won't pick up transmissions over 867.125, but then I'll hit MAN and it will be in the middle of a transmission, not really sure why that's happening either.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Since you're looking for the ID for Cherokee County, I'll assume you're trying to listen to the Thicketty Tower.

Program 868.425 in your scanner and set the type to MOT. That's the control channel, and that's the one you need.

If your scanner is in Open mode (a + sign under the bank number while it's scanning) then you'll hear ALL active talkgroups that aren't locked out on your scanner. Press Function-5 to close the bank, and you'll only hear talkgroups that you've programmed into your scan list (that aren't locked out).

To ensure that you always hear SCHP troopers in Cherokee, program 29072 and 21392 in addition to 21520. They frequently patch talkgroups together to allow one dispatcher to work multiple channels at the same time. You never can tell which one will be active.

Brian

LawDawg55

Thanks, that worked like a charm. You really should write the instruction booklet for this thing. One more quick question for anyone that might know, I've got Spartanburg County programmed in now, but does anyone know if Spartanburg City has any talkgroups or are they just always on the 460.225/460.325 frequency?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Spartanburg City is UHF only, no 800MHZ capability at all.

460.575 is Spartanburg City FD.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> To ensure that you always hear SCHP troopers in Cherokee, program 29072 and 21392 in addition to 21520 ...

I've never noted the Chester talkgroup (21392) being patched with either of the others, although that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But there are 4 counties already assigned to that talkgroup, covering two-thirds (?) of the district.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Jeff, you make a good point. I guess I don't really know for sure if they patch the Chester et all talkgroup to the York and Cherokee talkgroups.

I do know that I have Cells 18 and 58 in a bank in open mode in my radio. While I don't pay close attention, I see a lot of activity on the Chester talkgroup (21392) and not much on the others at all. This afternoon was the first I recall in weeks seein the York group (29072). And I heard a BOLO last night for I-85 at the 101MM on the Chester group.

So, I think scanning all three is probably a wise move until someone determines how exactly they are being used.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> And I heard a BOLO last night for I-85 at the 101MM on the Chester group.

That would confirm the patch. Sometimes, that's the only way I know that any patching is going on ... hearing TNC with an I-85 unit, or dispatching for an accident on the stretch in Cherokee County.

Since I monitor the Lancaster, Newport and occasionally the Chester sites at home, the patching to the Chester TG might be occurring alot ... and I just haven't noticed.

I stopped in one weekend a few years ago at the old Chester district office, and there was only one dispatcher on-duty on that particular Sunday to handle all the traffic on the low band channel. Maybe that's becoming the "norm" under the centralized dispatch system SCHP now uses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.