Setting up my scanner antenna...which coax to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiefelm

I am in the process of setting up my Pro-96 to an outside antenna. There are several types of coax available, for several different functions. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what types I should definitely use or not use in the setup.
Currently I have my Pro-96 hooked up to a RS 20-176 antenna that is connected to Elkin Micro 8/U coax with one PL-259 connector going to the antenna and the other going into a BNC connector into the scanner.
I have heard that RG-6 is a good choice to use. I have a spool of RG-6 underground cable that I thought about using, just wanted to get some advice from the forums first.
As far as connectors types, I have heard to use F connectors vs PL-259 conncetors because of loss of signals. Any ideas on this issue?

I plan on switching over to a mobile (base) scanner in the future, if that makes any difference. Probably a 2096.

Thanks for your time and your responses in advance.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Probably should take this to the Antenna forum.

YES I have some comments , one is obvious - the less connectors the less the signal loss.
Not so much an issue on lower band but in the higher bands it can be as much as 2.5 db loss , that's a LOT in the scanning world.

The RG6 seems to be a winner..................low losses.

Last edited:

LarrySC

The 20-176 uses a SO-239 female for a PL-259 male plug which neither is rated above about 600 mHz. Choice of any ant using any other connector would be better. If you keep this ant then buy a PL to "F" adp. Then install RG-6. Use "F" to BNC at scanner. You can hook all this up without having to solder anything. DB Loss only means something if you actually have signal loss. In my area signals are so strong you start out with 80db signal-go thru switches and splitters- you still got a 50 db signal. If you start with 7 db signal and split then you may notice the loss. Yard sell the 20-176 toy antenna and look for something else. Good Luck. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.