Surfside Beach - What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
We're going to Surfside Beach in a few weeks. Thanks to ScanDaBands I have my Uniden 396T ready.

I was wondering if any one could recommend sites or activities to do while we're there. I'm looking for not the normal stuff but more like things that maybe only locals would know of and maybe odd things. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. I'm not asking for anything illegal or just plain strange, but just something that the normal tourist may not know about. We're not into clubs, drinking, or partying. We (well, I) like taking pictures. Whatever we do it should be kid friendly for a 14YO girl as well. We all like nature and animals. We'll go down back roads and dirt roads, whatever is necessary.

For an example of what I'm talking about, do a search for Centralia, PA. http://www.google.com/search?q=cent...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
This is the kind of place we like going to.

I hope this makes sense. :)

Also, would there be a need to bring an older non-trunking analog scanner?

Last edited:

DCHarris

Premium Subscriber
Brookgreen Gardens is several miles south of Surfside Beach on HWY 17. It has lots of statues, as well as gardens. It has been many years since I have been there, but you should find some info by doing a search on-line.
My family vacationed in Myrtle Beach (several miles north of Surfside Beach) last year; everything worth monitoring, unless you like to listen to aviation, is trunked. I don't know if it has changed, but Horry County and the municipalities are different trunking systems.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
DCHarris said:
Brookgreen Gardens is several miles south of Surfside Beach on HWY 17. It has lots of statues, as well as gardens. It has been many years since I have been there, but you should find some info by doing a search on-line.
My family vacationed in Myrtle Beach (several miles north of Surfside Beach) last year; everything worth monitoring, unless you like to listen to aviation, is trunked. I don't know if it has changed, but Horry County and the municipalities are different trunking systems.

thanks...that was exactly what I was asking for. :)

I think I may take an old Pro-43 for the marine channels. never really lived close to a lot of water so it may be something new for me.

I have everything in my 396T that I will need. :) I don't know of any military bases or facilities in that area, but I'll scan those bands anyway.

ocn29rsc

Surfside Beach

I lived in Surfside for 15+ years until a year ago...check out Hunington Beach State Park located almost directly across from Brookgreen Gardens lots of natural beach area and when you do hit the head towards the jetties.

You can find all kinds of goodies.
Wildwater water park is in Surfside..10th ave south
Para-sail + banna boat rides were at 4th ave south and the beach

The far south end of Garden City is just as pretty as the state park....just head south on the blvd past atlantic blvd in Garden City past marlin quay...when you see signs about a gate and no turn arounds there will be public parking on the right park there.

Just across the street to the south is a house called lucky lady and there is a public accsess just beside the house...hit the beach and head south toward the jetties.

Hope this helps.

J. Cody

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
mike_s104 said:
We're going to Surfside Beach in a few weeks. Thanks to ScanDaBands I have my Uniden 396T ready.

Hey , thought I'd let you know I have in fact been hearing SURFSIDE PD on the HORRY TRS system in the past week or so.............enjoy your stay. :cool:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ocn29rsc said:
I lived in Surfside for 15+ years until a year ago...check out Hunington Beach State Park located almost directly across from Brookgreen Gardens lots of natural beach area and when you do hit the head towards the jetties.

You can find all kinds of goodies.
Wildwater water park is in Surfside..10th ave south
Para-sail + banna boat rides were at 4th ave south and the beach

The far south end of Garden City is just as pretty as the state park....just head south on the blvd past atlantic blvd in Garden City past marlin quay...when you see signs about a gate and no turn arounds there will be public parking on the right park there.

Just across the street to the south is a house called lucky lady and there is a public accsess just beside the house...hit the beach and head south toward the jetties.

Hope this helps.

J. Cody

We'll have to check these out as well. thanks :)

ScanDaBands said:
Hey , thought I'd let you know I have in fact been hearing SURFSIDE PD on the HORRY TRS system in the past week or so.............enjoy your stay. :cool:

I did program one system with what few analog freqs are listed as being used in Horry Co. Like I said before, I'm taking a older analog scanner just in case. Since we're driving, I'm not too worried about space. :)

CCHLLM

Since you're going to be in the area of Murrell's Inlet, Pawley's Island, etc., one of the more fascinating things to look into is the legend of Alice Flagg and her gravesite in All Saints Church burial grounds not far from Highway 17. The churchyard gate is usually open in the daytime hours, and you can stroll through and get an education about Alice's legendary appearances searching for her ring, and about the victims of the hurricane of, I believe, 1843, but don't hold me to the exact year. The churchyard is very peaceful and beautiful, so enjoy. There's also the legend of the "Gray Man" whose apparition appears on Pawley's Island when a hurricane is eminent.

In addition, the churchyard and the Flagg residence are located on the old King's Highway trail, which was a road built in honor of "King" George Washington and was intended to provide a trade route along the eastern coast from south to north. Washington declined the title, but the road name stuck, and the old US 17 is still called King's Highway in places. Google the names and you'll get a variety of sites to check out that'll give you the details of each.

Brookgreen Gardens are the gardens for the Huntington Estate which is now Huntington Beach State Park, and is across US 17 from the gardens. The state park also contains the ruins fo Atalaya, the Huntigtons mansion, and which you can tour. At least I think it's still open to the public. There's a huge gaggle of historical sites and things to see and learn about in the area that are unfortunately being swallowed up or hidden by development, not to mention lost to a lack of or a "rewriting" of historical education in public schools, so Google away.

Just some thoughts from someone who grew up in the area.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
wx4cbh said:
Since you're going to be in the area of Murrell's Inlet, Pawley's Island, etc., one of the more fascinating things to look into is the legend of Alice Flagg and her gravesite in All Saints Church burial grounds not far from Highway 17. The churchyard gate is usually open in the daytime hours, and you can stroll through and get an education about Alice's legendary appearances searching for her ring, and about the victims of the hurricane of, I believe, 1843, but don't hold me to the exact year. The churchyard is very peaceful and beautiful, so enjoy. There's also the legend of the "Gray Man" whose apparition appears on Pawley's Island when a hurricane is eminent.

In addition, the churchyard and the Flagg residence are located on the old King's Highway trail, which was a road built in honor of "King" George Washington and was intended to provide a trade route along the eastern coast from south to north. Washington declined the title, but the road name stuck, and the old US 17 is still called King's Highway in places. Google the names and you'll get a variety of sites to check out that'll give you the details of each.

Brookgreen Gardens are the gardens for the Huntington Estate which is now Huntington Beach State Park, and is across US 17 from the gardens. The state park also contains the ruins fo Atalaya, the Huntigtons mansion, and which you can tour. At least I think it's still open to the public. There's a huge gaggle of historical sites and things to see and learn about in the area that are unfortunately being swallowed up or hidden by development, not to mention lost to a lack of or a "rewriting" of historical education in public schools, so Google away.

Just some thoughts from someone who grew up in the area.

all sounds great...thanks :)

52to12

More to do

There is enough traffic on the marine channels for you to bring your PRO-43. Channels 9,13,16,22 and 23 for starters. Once contact is made traffic switches to other channels. Print out a copy of the marine freqs from the RR wiki.
Here are a couple of suggestions for things to do that I think your family will enjoy.
Dolphin watch and nature cruise in the marshes. www.captdicks.com
Dolphin watch and sight seeing from large speedboat. www.seathunder.com
Ecological and educational tours.www hurricanefleet.com
Ducktours amphibious vehicle land and waccama river. google ducktours+myrtle beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.