800 band opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
For the last couple of days, during the early morning hours, I have been receiving interference on one of the primary voice frequencies for Palmetto 800 Site #19, 860.4625, in Spartanburg. It's a Motorola data channel.

I let my PRO-96 display the System ID for the data channel I was hearing - 722d. That's the system ID for the TRS in SUMTER, SC!

That's one heck of a band opening, probably more than 150 miles as the crow flies.

Brian

LarrySC

I noticed it on the way to work. Almost every day in the past week Ga and NC VHF has been rolling in. Been checking PL's for locations. Waiting for stronger sunspots so I can hear Europe on low band. Larry

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Almost every day in the past week Ga and NC VHF has been rolling in.

Same here. I started playing a game this week ... trying to see how many Ga State Patrol dispatch centers I could I-D and log each morning. A few decent catches, with Manchester - at about 300 miles - the most-distant.

Anyone who might listen to SC DNR channel 14 (151.370 / 100.0 R) in York County should take a listen around 9 a.m. daily. NC Forestry dispatchers broadcast their local weather reports around that time of day, and the Pamlico, N.C. (northeastern coastal N.C.) repeater is regularly being rebroadcast on SC DNR channel 14.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
800 opening

Last night [8-6-07] I was able to get my handheld XTS5000 to affiliate with Johnston, Plum Branch, Greenwood, and amazingly Lexington's Simulcast tower. In fact when I turned the radio on it was completely skipping Paris and going straight to Johnston as the closest and best tower to affiliate to. I was able to listen to SCHP Orangeburg, Lexington FD, and SCHP Lexington. Towers signal Strength ranged from 62-80 on my signal strength meter. To compare, Paris Mtn usually ranges around 108 on the radios meter (sitting in on my office desk).

I hope this keeps up!

KU4MY

WOW! Now that is some seriously good band opening! The ones I usually catch are just before or after sunrise and almost always before noon as it seems that Mr. Sunshine wipes everything out after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.