Highway Patrol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCScanner61

Does anyone know if the Highway Patrol or the system that they are on (Palmetto 800) is planning to go digital anytime soon?

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
not that i am aware, i don't think we will see to many more palm800 groups go digital until after rebanding anyway....

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
jeffmulter said:
>> i don't think we will see to many more palm800 groups go digital until after rebanding anyway....

I'm curious why rebanding would have any impact on implementing new digital talkgroups, or conversting an analog talkgroup to digital.

govt groups get monetary assistance to upgrade there equipment to work with rebanding. Why spend your own budget money on new equipment when you can wait for the govt/fcc and nextel to lend you a helping hand. You will probably see more NEW digital groups from those that are not even on trunked systems, but those that are trunked analog with old 1980's equipment probably will wait till they are getting new equipment for the reband anyway...

qball

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding

Actually, Nextel is adamant about not paying for upgrades. They will replace one for one if your radio will not work on the new frequencies. You may have a GTX today...Nextel will replace it with an analog only XTS1500RB. If you are analog today, unless you (not Nextel) pay for the digital upgrade, you will be analog after rebanding.

As mentioned, your radio may be replaced with a newer "rebanded" version, but it is incumbent upon you to add any features beyond your current operating characteristics. Agencies may take the opportunity add $1k flash upgrades to those "RB" radios if they would like, but that is outside of the scope of rebanding.

q

Status
Not open for further replies.