Anderson County Pal800 expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
County council had discussed this issue a couple months ago, and I just spoke of it in my thread regarding Greenville County expanding their radio system, so I thought it was ironic that this article was just posted.....

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2007/nov/06/800-megahertz-system-moves-one-step-closer-approva/

ANDERSON COUNTY — Anderson County is one step closer to acquiring an 800 megahertz communications system for emergency services, despite warnings from a fire chief in a neighboring area and disputes over the contract’s details.

The County Council voted 4-2 Tuesday night, with Cindy Wilson and Bob Waldrep opposed, to buy the equipment and infrastructure for an 800 megahertz radio system.

A lease-purchase agreement with Motorola Inc. will allow the county to tie into the statewide Palmetto 800 system. The estimated cost of the system is $8.3 million, and the cost is not to exceed $8.5 million.

Ms. Wilson and Mr. Waldrep’s opposition was rooted in the terms of the contract, and the authority it gave to County Administrator Joey Preston to carry out final negotiations.

Batt. Chief Curt Bumgarner of South Greenville Fire came with a warning for the county. His department was part of the 800 megahertz system, but eventually returned the radios because at times his firefighters could not get service inside of buildings.

No one was more vocal than he was about getting on the system, but it didn’t work in his 400-square mile district, Mr. Bumgarner said.

“Ya’ll are going to get somebody killed,” he said. “That’s the bottom line.”

Despite their concerns, emergency services personnel came out in overwhelming support of the radio system. Fire departments have been testing the equipment and chiefs say it is more reliable than the current VHF system that can’t reach central dispatch from some parts of the county.

People can “what if” the system to death, but “this is the best thing we’ve seen come around in a while,” Three & Twenty Fire Department chief Tommy Keaton said.

Participation in the statewide 800 system is voluntary, and today more than 30 counties use it for everything, said George Crouch, Wireless Technology Manager at the South Carolina Budget and Control Board.

County Council Member Larry Greer asked Mr. Preston Tuesday to present everyone on the council with copies of completed documents related to the purchase, including copies of the contract and attorneys’ opinions, within 10 days. That should give council members enough time to give them further review before third reading.

It’s good to examine the contract closer, Mr. Greer said, but he doesn’t believe it’s in the county’s best interest to delay building this system. The Federal Communications Commission could resell radio frequencies purchased for the radio system if they are not in use by May 2009, and tower construction should take 18 months.

“We can sit and pretend these type things will not hit our communities,” Mr. Greer said. “I know from experience that they can, and they do.”

LarrySC

South Greenville tested radios BEFORE the West Georgia Road Tower was installed. I dont think the situation is the same now.

SCPD

QRT
And they aren't taking into account the fact 4 additional towers will be added to Anderson, something Greenville didn't have the luxury of.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Nothing like our public safety professionals speaking out on something they know nothing about. But that's not new, I guess.

Will the 4 additional towers in Anderson County be simulcast? I would assume so.

Maybe it's in the minutes, but I'm not interested enough to read all of that.

SCPD

QRT
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2007/nov/20/anderson-county-council-approves-new-radio-system/

ANDERSON COUNTY — An 800-megahertz radio system for emergency personnel is coming to Anderson County. But — for now — zoning in northern Anderson County is not.

Those two votes created most of the stir in an Anderson County Council meeting on Tuesday night.

In one vote, the Anderson County Council voted 5-2 to approve the purchase an $8.5 million radio system for Anderson County’s public safety personnel.

The lease-purchase agreement with Motorola Inc. will allow the county to tie into the statewide Palmetto 800 system. The estimated cost of the system is $8.3 million, and the cost is not to exceed $8.5 million.

County Council members Cindy Wilson and Bob Waldrep voted against the final reading the ordinance. Council members Gracie Floyd, Ron Wilson, Bill McAbee, Larry Greer and Michael Thompson voted in favor of it.

“I think the two no-votes were cast before this matter ever came before council,” Mr. Greer said. “I think this was a vote from a small group of people who don’t want to see this county make any progress.”

Mr. Waldrep and Ms. Wilson disagreed with Mr. Greer, however. Both said they were still concerned with the terms of the contract and the authority it gave to County Administrator Joey Preston to carry out final negotiations.

“I have never seen a system like the one in Anderson County that gives so much responsibility to the administrator,” Mr. Waldrep said in response to Mr. Greer’s comments. “That’s why I have questioned this project. The contract has been changed right up until the last few days. And as long as I am here, I am going to ask every question that comes to me, because that is what I was put up here to do.”

The council members sparred back and forth on the matter after several citizens — many of whom are public safety personnel — stood to have their say on the radio system before the final vote was taken.

Brooks Brown IV, an Anderson resident, questioned the bidding contract for the radio system. Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore, and other public safety employees, however, spoke in favor of the deal.

“I have never seen the cooperation with our emergency providers like I see now,” Mr. Shore said. “This radio system will enhance that united front that we now have in Anderson County.”

SCPD

QRT
brian said:
Will the 4 additional towers in Anderson County be simulcast? I would assume so.

After doing some research, yes this will be a "4 Site simulcast sub-cell" according to Motorola.

AndersonMBK

Tower Locations

Does anybody know where these towers are actually located? I'm curious to know what they look like - are they easily recognizable from a cell tower?

LarrySC

Tower site maps are located within this website. Drill down thru the Palmetto data and the map will pop up.

AndersonMBK

I have only found maps that show what towers are within a county, not where the tower is located in the county, such as an address. Are there maps with a more exact location? I have really been looking - just not finding it.

Thanks,

SCPD

QRT
Here is the info I pulled from the county proposal. I'll try to get exact addresses at some point, however, based on the description you may know where the towers are going. Keep in mind these are the towers TO BE BUILT not current towers in place.

1)Manse Jolly Prime Site, will be a 400ft tower
2)Library Water Tank Site, will have a 60ft tower
3)Starr Site, will be a 380ft tower
4)Central Dispatch, unknown details on tower height.

Now that I've researched and typed that info, it isn't as detailed as I remember. I'll see what else I can find out and post it.

For those of you who care...I also wanted to say that this a going to be an Astro 25 sub-cell with microwave interconnectivity. This will be the 1st Palmetto 800 Astro25 project. Yes, I know there is an Astro25 system in the low country, but that is an independent system, whereas this is Pal800 beginning to change over to statewide Astro25.

Added to post: Here is the location for the "Anderson" Pal800 site #42.
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&action=fcc&cs=WPRF317

Last edited:

qball

Premium Subscriber
Palmetto Astro25

Actually, Shaw AFB and York County are the only truely independent Astro systems in the state. The Charleston County system shares a zone controller port from the Palmetto system...then the system is partitioned for Charleston's use.

Nonetheless, I am excited to see the start of a more statewide buildout of Astro25 systems. That will increase capability by leaps and bounds. Data capability has already been improved because of the implementation of high performance data coming from the Palmetto system's "lowcountry" zone expansion.

Last edited:

greenwar

Help selecting a Radio?

I'm not new to scanning or radio, but quite "green" on the new Trunking systems. I have an about 15 year old RS handheld 200 channel, and it's time for an upgrade. I live in the lowcountry and have lost most of the Charleston City and Co / Mount Pleasant communications over the past month or so. What type of scanner does one need for the Palmetto Astro system? I don't have a lot of money to spend and I see that the new digitals are quite expensive. Comments and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would suggest starting a new thread in the SC forum so as not to clutter this up with off topic stuff, but nothing will be cheap.

The RS pro96/2096 goes on sale sometimes for $400, and very rarely you can get it a bit cheaper with discounts. Used you can get them for $300-400...

Uniden prices I'm not sure of, but once again used are still going to run rather high...

AndersonMBK

I got the Pro96 for $349 the day before Thanksgiving. Did not plan on getting it, actually went in RS for a antenna, and saw it for $349. Almost bought an extra to sell on eBay. Anyway, the next day I saw this post, where Anderson - where I live - would be going to the Palmetto 800. Talk about good timing. :)

AndersonMBK

Yes it's legal, as long as your not commiting any crimes. I carry my scanner in the truck all the time.

SCPD

QRT
I have a few talkgroups that need to be added or corrected, those that are able to change the database, please do so. This is confirmed info

Anderson County:
Channel Name(TAG)Talkgroup
AND COMMS F38 (Currently listed as animal control)
CNTY CMD F39 (not listed)
WSTPLZR PD1 D1F (Currently listed as Belton PD2)
WLMSTNPD1 D17 (Currently Listed as Pelzer PD)
ACSO DSP1 F30
ACSO DSP2 F31
ACSO RM3 F32
ACSO MA4 F33
SO SPCL1 F34
SO SPCL2 F35
SO OPS1 F36
SO OPS2 F37

Ill have more updates soon....

evan

Database Admin
Here they are in decimal:
AND COMMS F38 (Currently listed as animal control) 62336
CNTY CMD F39 (not listed) 62352
WSTPLZR PD1 D1F (Currently listed as Belton PD2) 53744
WLMSTNPD1 D17 (Currently Listed as Pelzer PD) 53616
ACSO DSP1 F30 62208
ACSO DSP2 F31 62224
ACSO RM3 F32 62240
ACSO MA4 F33 62256
SO SPCL1 F34 62272
SO SPCL2 F35 62288
SO OPS1 F36 62304
SO OPS2 F37 62320

rescuecomm

I suppose the big question is how many radios are going to be purchased for Anderson County's many volunteer fire department and rescue squad (EMS) personnel? In Pickens County, Sheriff's Deputies and EMS units have the 800 mhz radios, but the most rural FDs and rescue squads have not been issued any. Due to the expense of the radio's, volunteer's will have a hard time explaining to their spouse's that they can't go on vacations for the next two years because we need to buy a new walkie-talkie.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.