Action on unknown TG yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCHarris

Yesterday (Friday 12-14-07) I was listening to an unknown law enforcement agency who were trying to capture an armed gunman in some woods. It was in the morning, with all comms ceasing abruptly just before noon. It was on the Palmetto-800 system, TG#56640. They were within 20 yards of someone who had a "44 Magnum and a 308". At times one of the LEO's "had a clear shot" and at least once "He's got his gun pointed right at Travis, but his finger's not on the trigger". Another officer's name they used was "Lee". They were directing other officers to come in "off 321". Did anyone else hear these transmissions? I thought it was in Fairfield, or possibly Richland County, but did not see anything on the news about it. I guess it could have been an 800 band opening and been coming in from further away, even out of state. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

DCHarris

Sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Fairfield County, but were picking up these transmissions in Chester. I am pretty sure these were handheld units, due to their repeated statements of being in the woods. I am not sure which towers I was picking them up on; I think it was alternating between the ones in Chester and in Winnsboro. This TG number would seem to be in one that would be assigned to Fairfield County SD, but I cannot confirm. It is possible SLED was on this TG also, since they referred to "my 4-man group is moving down the draw to the thicket" and there seemed to be at least one other similar team, as well as several other deputies(?) in smaller groups surrounding this gunman. What I don't understand is if this was in Fairfield Co. why there was no coverage on the Columbia TV stations. I will have to ask one of the FCSD deputies if this was in Fairfield County when I see her Sunday at church.

DCHarris

Spoke with a Fairfield County deputy today; you were right, jeffmulter; it was a training session. Seems the FCSD SWAT team planned a training session without informing anyone in the department, including the sheriff. She said that she, several other deputies, and the sheriff were all in the courtroom while court was in session when they heard one of the deputies initiate a chase, complete with sirens in the background. The "suspect" then went bush-bound and the deputy reported shots fired. I had locked my 396 on that talkgroup (#56640) and did not hear what was going on the other TG's; apparently there must have been a lot of confusion because the deputy I spoke with said there were people talking everywhere, whereas normally there would have been silence once the chase was initiated. They were using this, to now, an unidentified TG, which I will submit, as their training comms. She said it was a narcotics channel which is used as a talk-around among deputies. Oh, well, I thought I was hearing something real.

rescuecomm

I bet that got some people's attention. Maybe they should use a simplex Tac channel in the future to keep things a little more private.

Bob

2lazy

ok 10-22 that last ?

i got LAZY lol anyway will im here going to buy a digital scanner at the first of the year and as wondering which unit would be better for scanning palmetto 800 ,lexington and city of columbia. i currently have a pro-97 works great but i want to have digital.so which do u guys prefer

AndersonMBK

Radio Shacks pro-96 was on sale for $349 - not sure if it still is not. If it is still on sale, you'll save a lot of money by going ahead and buying it now. As far as monitoring Lexington's channels, I believe those are all encrypted. You won't be able to monitor any encrytped channels. I'm pretty sure Columbia is still monitorable (new word?) with a digital scanner.

BTW, Since this post original topic has pretty much been resolved, you may get better answers starting a new topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.