Horry Co Palmetto 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlambertnj

Scanner: RS Pro-528 & RS Pr0-2052
I have entered the following freqs.:
866.56250 866.86250 867.36250 867.75000 868.11250 868.52500* 868.86250*

The scanner searches through but only rarely stops. But even this is dependent upon where I am in the county. Sometimes nothing ever comes up.

At home on the base (Discone mounted 10ft) It never stops.

So I am guessing it is something I am not doing.

Steps I did are basically the same on both radios:
Go into programming mode
Select Trunk
Select channel (I am doing this from memory so I may have the order not exact in this post)
Select Trunk type: Motorolla II
Enter the freqs. until they are all in.
Scan, adjust squelch.

Sounds of silence.

I get the Horry county trunk without any problem (different channel)

Any thoughts, suggestions would be helpful.

Oops! Horry County, Myrtle Beach, SC

Ralph

firefighter89

Have you tried the North Myrtle Beach tower? The control frequencies are 868.7125 and 868.2750. Also make sure you don't have the talkgroups you want to monitor locked out. You don't need the voice channel frequencies, only the control channel frequencies are needed. They are the ones in red and blue.

LarrySC

Your Header says Horry Co Palmetto 800. Horry Co is not on the Palmetto 800. All controllers for Horry Co end in .2125. You have PGM'ed the Conway Twr 38 on the Pal 800. In Myrtle Beach the Pal 800 would be Twr 61 at North Myrtle and Twr 39 for South Myrtle. Study the database again. For my trip to MB I PGM'ed Twr 39 & 61 for bank (1) Hwy Patrol, (2) .2125 group for Horry Co, (3) .2125 group for MB, (4) Geo'tn group for Geo'tn. Good Luck.

rlambertnj

That was it - Thanks!!!

firefighter89 said:
Have you tried the North Myrtle Beach tower? The control frequencies are 868.7125 and 868.2750. Also make sure you don't have the talkgroups you want to monitor locked out. You don't need the voice channel frequencies, only the control channel frequencies are needed. They are the ones in red and blue.

Much better.

Thanks you again for your help.

Ralph

rlambertnj

Re: So much for my reading abilty....

LarrySC said:
Your Header says Horry Co Palmetto 800. Horry Co is not on the Palmetto 800. All controllers for Horry Co end in .2125. You have PGM'ed the Conway Twr 38 on the Pal 800. In Myrtle Beach the Pal 800 would be Twr 61 at North Myrtle and Twr 39 for South Myrtle. Study the database again. For my trip to MB I PGM'ed Twr 39 & 61 for bank (1) Hwy Patrol, (2) .2125 group for Horry Co, (3) .2125 group for MB, (4) Geo'tn group for Geo'tn. Good Luck.

Ah grasshopper you speak the truth. But isn't Conway in Horry county Twr 38??

I have .2125 group in a channel, but I was missing the Hwy Patrol part. I am new to scanning much less trunking. It is an interesting part of the radio hobby.

BTW I am a licensed ham(general) KI4NJZ, but this was driving me nuts.
A light is going off though about reprogramming my radios.

Thx

Ralph

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Monitoring Palmetto 800 in Horry County does take some patience and trial-and-error. There are three sites that cover different parts of the county - Conway (38) to the west, Georgetown (39) to the South (there's a tower for the Georgetown site near Brookgreen Gardens) and NMB (61) to the north and east. You have to experiment and see which tower covers a particular area best.

I'm not familiar with the PRO-528 and how it is programmed, but I know it's a Uniden-made scanner. Scanning multiple towers in one bank is an advantage I think the GRE-made radios have over the unidens. You can see exactly which site you're listening to and easily lock one or more sites out when desired. That may not be as easy to implement on the Uniden models.

Good luck, let us know if you have other questions.

rlambertnj

Update on Horry County and Pal 800

brian said:
Monitoring Palmetto 800 in Horry County does take some patience and trial-and-error. There are three sites that cover different parts of the county - Conway (38) to the west, Georgetown (39) to the South (there's a tower for the Georgetown site near Brookgreen Gardens) and NMB (61) to the north and east. You have to experiment and see which tower covers a particular area best.

I'm not familiar with the PRO-528 and how it is programmed, but I know it's a Uniden-made scanner. Scanning multiple towers in one bank is an advantage I think the GRE-made radios have over the unidens. You can see exactly which site you're listening to and easily lock one or more sites out when desired. That may not be as easy to implement on the Uniden models.

Good luck, let us know if you have other questions.

:)
After trying the three towers with only the control channels I didn't seem to have much luck using the PRO-528. However, once I added the rest of the channels Georgetown came to life. Since I live at the south end of the Strand, this was to be expected.

I have a new job where I travel around several counties. I will keep you posted on what I come up with.

- Ralph (KI4NJZ)

marcard50

Myrtle Beach frequencies

Hi guys, I'm not too familiar with the scanner terms here but I have been trying to help Marc program his scanners as good as I can. He can't explain a whole lot to me since he has cerebral palsy and speaks with signs or spells it out with his hands. My question is this.... For the Myrtle Beach area all the way down to Georgetown, (where we live) Is there a set of frequencies that I could put in his scanner that would help us to pick up more when we go from G'town to Myrtle Beach? I've programmed and reprogrammed trying everything we can think of. You don't know how much I would appreciate it if someone could give me a list of frequecies. BTW. He has been a member of WRR but now he's just a premium member here. We look for frequencies all the time, but I don't understand about the towers in different areas like Broookgreen and the south area of the strand. I do know we've been told that we live in a dead area, Belle Isle, but we have been able to pick up a lot in the past, so I'm not sure what we're doing wrong now. Thanks for all your help! Marc and Robin
PS... Larry, I think Marc or one of his aides have spoken with you before or emailed you because I remember seeing your name in an email. :) .

reconrider8

Best I can really tell you of they are like viper go all the surrendering counties and use the database to look for towers and add all the sites in and then see how it receives if you are mobile

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hi guys, I'm not too familiar with the scanner terms here but I have been trying to help Marc program his scanners as good as I can. He can't explain a whole lot to me since he has cerebral palsy and speaks with signs or spells it out with his hands. My question is this.... For the Myrtle Beach area all the way down to Georgetown, (where we live) Is there a set of frequencies that I could put in his scanner that would help us to pick up more when we go from G'town to Myrtle Beach? I've programmed and reprogrammed trying everything we can think of. You don't know how much I would appreciate it if someone could give me a list of frequecies. BTW. He has been a member of WRR but now he's just a premium member here. We look for frequencies all the time, but I don't understand about the towers in different areas like Broookgreen and the south area of the strand. I do know we've been told that we live in a dead area, Belle Isle, but we have been able to pick up a lot in the past, so I'm not sure what we're doing wrong now. Thanks for all your help! Marc and Robin
PS... Larry, I think Marc or one of his aides have spoken with you before or emailed you because I remember seeing your name in an email. :) .

Which model scanner are you trying to program, and what exactly are you interested in listening to?

Georgetown is covered by Site 39 (868.6875 control channel) of the Palmetto 800 system:
Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

You will hear all of the Georgetown Co. public safety agencies on this system, as well as SCHP for many counties surrounding Georgetown, medical helicopters, other state agencies, etc.

If you want to listen to Horry County public safety agencies as you travel up toward Myrlte Beach, you'll want to program the Horry County trunked radio system:
Horry County Public Safety Trunking System, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

You'll want to program the talkgroups associated with each agency you want to listen to, associated with the frequencies for each trunked system. Of course you'll need a trunktracking scanner to do that, hence the question about the radio model you're trying to program.

There will be some overlap between these two systems - each has tower sites in the Burgess area of Horry County, near the Inlet Square Mall in Garden City. So you'll hear Site 39 (and Georgetown Co traffic) well into Horry Co up to Myrtle Beach, and you'll hear the Horry Co system almost down to Georgetown. This is depedent on the quality of antenna you're using, but that's the range I have noted when visiting the area.

If you're headed to NMB, you can program Site 61 to maintain Palmetto 800 coverage as you travel out of range of Site 39. You won't hear Georgetown Co units on that site, but you will hear SCHP. Likewise, if you're headed toward Conway, use Site 38.

Hope that helps.

Brian

marcard50

horry and georgetown counties

Hi Brian, Thank you for responding so quickly. Marc has several scanners but the one i'm trying to program now is the Radio Shack Pro 2054. Marc wants to listen to all the emergency frequencies, but also enjoys listening to almost anything. He is constantly finding frequencies for goverment agencies like SLED or FBI, but the latest frequency he wants to add is the Myrtle beach transit system. He has a magnetic mounted antenna on his van, but he is always looking for improvement. If you have any ideas on antennas we're open there too. He has a 40 ft tower with an antenna on top for his house scanner. Tommorrow I'll be looking more in depth at your email trying to see which ones we have. Thanks again for all your help. Robin and Marc

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Unfortunately, a PRO-2054 is not a trunk-tracking scanner. That means that it is not capable of tracking the radio systems used by Public Safety agencies in Georgetown and Horry County in a way that you can identify which agency is communicating at any given time.

Pro-2054 - The RadioReference Wiki

This radio does receive frequencies in the 800MHz range, which means that you can program all the frequencies for the Horry Co. trunked radio system, and the frequencies for Palmetto 800 site #39, and you'll hear activity on them, but you won't know at any given time who you're listening too. So, on the Horry Co system, you might hear Horry Co. PD North for 1 second, then Myrtle Beach PD the next, then the Public Works guys the next, and then HCFR the next, and so forth. It's not especially satisfying to try to try to listen to these trunked systems in that way.

You'd be much better served with a trunk-tracking scanner. There are many available these days, new and used, that will let you listen "better" better to these systems. All of HC's transmission are analog at this time, and most of what you'll hear on the Palmetto 800 system site 39 is analog too, so you're okay TODAY with an analog trunk-tracking scanner.

You'll want to find a trunk-tracking scanner that supports rebanding, though, since site #39 will be rebanded soon.

But more and more agencies are moving to digital radio transmissions all the time. Georgetown PD and the Georgetown Co Fire tac channels are digital. So if you're going to invest in a new scanner, a digital scanner is a good option if it is within you means.

Additionally, newer scanners can be programmed by computer software, which makes sharing programming configurations among listeners easy. If you purchased a radio made by GRE, like a PRO-164 (analog) or a PRO-106 (digital), I'd be happy to share a programming file with you to get you started.

Hope that helps.

LarrySC

I programmed a PRO-197 for Marc about a year ago with very deep detail and some Industrial Trunking Systems. I understand that the program was dumped and the scanner sold. There may be some element here that we are not aware of.

marcard50

pro 197

I'm not sure about what happened with the pro 197. I know he has owned several of these. I think he has bought and sold about every radio out there. That is why I am trying to understand all of this, so I can help him obtain what he really wants. We finally have the pro 2054 programmed for traveling to columbia and charleston. If I can just get the frequencies added for Georgetown and Myrtle Beach, I'd make a full list of them so that if anyone deleted them, I could reprogram them. we also have the software for gre 500 and the scanlite also. I've found it just about as easy to add them manually because the cutting and pasting for several regions doesn't always work out for me. LOL
Larry, I'm not sure what the numbers mean beside each name on the file you sent us....so i'm not sure how to enter the frequencies. could you explain that a bit more for me. for instance beside myrtle beach dispatch are the numbers 2416. I don't know what that means. Thank you very much for trying to help us. We appreciate all the help. I do know there are some scanners that we have worked hard on and he can't operate them easily because of the way the buttons are too close together or he hits something wrong. He only has limited control of his hands , so it has to be just right for him to operate. Thanks again, Robin and Marc
PS. I won't be working with Marc again until the weekend. so i'll let you all know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.