Rural fire board to buy new scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
That is the exact opposite of what the Charlotte Observer and the Board say in this article.....

http://www.charlotte.com/280/story/454924.html

Firefighters to get new scanners

YORK --
The York County Board of Rural Fire Control plans to buy new scanners that will allow firefighters to hear radio communications during an emergency.York County firefighters love the 800-megahertz radio system implemented late last year -- it's clear and provides communication where they never had it before.

But many dislike the new pagers that go with the radio system because they have to look down to read information while driving to emergencies.

So the board has budgeted $116,000 for the scanners and will put out a request for companies to submit bids this week, York County Fire Marshall Randy Thompson said. He hopes to have about 200 new scanners in a few months.

The $23-million radio system, which replaced an outdated system, links all emergency response personnel across the county. But instead of the voice-activated pagers used in the past, emergency codes must be sent to responders on a small display screen on a traditional pager.

The voice-response pagers aren't made anymore, and the new visual pagers are the best system found by those who researched alternatives, said Cotton Howell, director of the county's Emergency Operations Center. -- The (Rock hill) herald
--------------------------------------
The complaints are with the pagers, not the 800 Mhz system. In fact the firefighters like the 800Mhz system.

newport759

Which scanner would be better for them to use? I like the Pro-96 due to the key functions but that is just my opinion

firefighter89

newport759 said:
Which scanner would be better for them to use? I like the Pro-96 due to the key functions but that is just my opinion

They seem to like the Uniden 396. Check out the link posted by jeffmulter.

Status
Not open for further replies.