Pro2096 vs GRE PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebelling

I am in Columbia and mainly listen to Columbia PD, Richland County Sheriff Dept, and EMS and Fire for both city and county. I am in the market for a new digital scanner and Radio Shack has the 2096 on sale for 399.00, however I have heard great things about the PSR-600. I am particular interested in the quality of each radio and their ability to pickup the various digital systems throughout the state. I travel a lot during football season, primarly to The Citadel and Clemson games, and usually take my radios with me.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
ebelling said:
I am in Columbia and mainly listen to Columbia PD, Richland County Sheriff Dept, and EMS and Fire for both city and county. I am in the market for a new digital scanner and Radio Shack has the 2096 on sale for 399.00, however I have heard great things about the PSR-600. I am particular interested in the quality of each radio and their ability to pickup the various digital systems throughout the state. I travel a lot during football season, primarly to The Citadel and Clemson games, and usually take my radios with me.

BCD996T

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can't offer you direct experience with a comparison between the two radios. But I'd say if you're serious about scanning and expect to be in the hobby for a while, spend the extra money and go with the PSR-600. I use the PRO-96 on a daily basis and I think it's a great radio. But I'm planning to replace it with a PSR-500 as soon as funding is available. Based on what I've read it seems like the PSR models have a slight edge on the PRO-(20)96 in terms of sensitivity and digital decoding performance. The Object-oriented programming is attractive to me as well as the multitude of other settings and features. I also get a more secure feeling about its ability to handle rebanding.

That being said, the PRO-2096 is an excellent radio, you can't go wrong with it, and if $100 is important to you, I think it would be a good choice. Based on what you state your monitoring needs are, it will serve you quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.