Stridsberg 700Mhz Preamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebee

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried the Stridsburg A7020 700Mhz Preamps. I have an older A8010 Preamp and works very good on 800. They have since came out with a A8020 800mhz that I understand works really good as well.
Most of our sites around are now using 700mhz and some are mixed with 800 as well with some all 800. When using my 800mhz preamp it kills the 700Mhz signals. Before shelling out $170 on a new 700 preamp I was wondering if any one has used them and how well they performed. I kind of thought if I were to get one is to combine the two 700 and 800 together so they would work for both 700 and 800.

Toughts?

prcguy

I have not used the Stridsburg preamp in question. However, if you are a follower of high end preamps you are probably aware of Angle Linear, perhaps the best single band preamps commercially made for repeater front ends, multicouplers, etc. Chip Angle, owner of Angle Linear recently retired and left a huge void in the repeater preamp business and people are scrambling to find suitable replacements with no luck so far.

Telewave is advertising some of the lower end Angle Linear preamps relabeled with "Telewave" and costing almost four times more than Chip charged (over $700), so that's good to know in an emergency but otherwise far too expensive for this hobby.

Within the last few weeks I've had a few conversations with a guy who has negotiated the rights to Chip's preamps and will be producing high end preamps based on Chip's designs. If you are considering a 700-800MHz preamp in the $170 category it might be worth waiting a bit to see how things are going with this new company.

From what I gather, Chip's retirement coincided with a huge increase in prices for the high end Compac brand enclosures used in his preamps and possibly some of the parts being discontinued. The new company has to find ways around these hurdles but it sounds like they are committed to producing very high performance products and at least meeting the original design specs.

I also mentioned to the new owner that the scanner hobby needs a bullet proof, low noise, broad band, IMD free preamp covering roughly 118 to 1,000MHz with 15 to 20dB gain, a built in FM broadcast band trap, possible built in bias Tee and be somewhat affordable. He is open to this and will be looking into modifying some existing designs to see how they perform. This will not be a quick and easy task, but hopefully there will be something to announce in the near future.

In the mean time, good luck on your 700/800MHz preamp quest and there are occasionally some very good commercial preamps that cover that range on Ebay for cheap prices. I think it would be better to find a single preamp to cover both 700 and 800MHz if you have only one antenna for both bands.

Last edited:

teebee

I did call Stridsberg and mentioned my concern if I were to purchase and use a 700 preamp how it would kill any signal using 800 and vise-versa. He agreed this would be an issue as to that they are each tuned to each band per preamp.

However after discussing this he told me he is going to build one tuned to 700 and 800 in one unit and test it and would get back to me with the results and I will take it from there depending on the results. It would not do me any good to purchase and use 700. I would be missing everything in 800.

I'll post his results when he completes it

lmrtek

Kitztech.com tv preamps
40-1000Mhz
Adjustable gain
noise figure under 1 db
$49.95

Ubbe

There's only one output but you can easily connect a $10 splitter to get the number of outputs needed. They got even a better one for scanner use but it's expensive at $100.

"The KT-500 is a variable gain (0-36db) TV amplifier with a low noise figure of .85db. The KT-500 is a good choice for close to very long distance TV reception. This amplifier has plenty of gain to pull in the weakest channels. It is designed for use in any area including those with strong transmitters near by. It is designed to be very overload resistant and it has a built in overload indicator. The KT-500 also has a built in FM filter for improved VHF reception."

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.